OT Position

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Discouraged a little by news of OL struggles so far, especially at T. Eric, I know you mentioned Stickler as a sleeper pick to not redshirt. If we can't be consistent here in practices once fall begins, what are the odds that both Stickler and Whitley are forced to play as freshmen? Or are we more likely to slide guards out to tackle, since we seem a little deeper at G?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
My thought is that we'll use Braun at T before we use a freshman.

I think we can be strong on the OL if one or two guys pan out as hoped and if we can find the right combination to get the best on the field. My hopeful prediction would be:
OT - Braun and Griffin with Chamberlain as the primary backup
OG - Mason, Devine with Braun as the primary backup and Chamberlain playing OT in that case
C - Burden and O'Reilly, whoever wins the battle starting.

A huge key to our offense this year is going to be the development of Devine and Griffin. If those two guys pan out, it really bodes well for us. If either of them bust, we're going to be scrambling a little bit.

It would be great news if one of the freshmen were too good to keep out of the 2-deep. That would mean we have another Shaq Mason on our hands.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I liked Chase Roberts last year. Hopefully, he'll recover from whatever lingering ding is holding him back. Also, I hope Erin Joe and one or two of our trFr are ready to contribute (I like Gary Brown). I think Chamberlain did alright at times in our regular offense but struggled like crazy in pass protection.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I liked Chase Roberts last year. Hopefully, he'll recover from whatever lingering ding is holding him back.

I'm pretty sure at this point we can count Chase out until at least the end of Summer, so he won't be ready for the Fall. He may be forced to call it quits unfortunately.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
We've got Errin Joe at T for now...but I don't see that as a good fit.

I do think Stickler will play this year.

Whitle and Brown are coming in at G.

Preddy will have to redshirt and Klock will likely need to as well

Anyway you slice it we are thin at G and T

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Since Coach Todd Spencer was fired, we have not had much production out of the tackle slot. It seems like Womack and Johnson are so focused on the middle of the line (Centers and Guards) that they view the tackle position as just as nuisance you have to man with some one. We have enough talent to have a very legitimate offensive line but I don't see the coaching staff placing the right level of emphasis and focus on making sure we have a quality player at each position. I'm hoping Chris Griffin is a natural and we do have the wisdom to move Braun out to a tackle spot and not keep him on the bench waiting to play guard. I think you can write off Chase Roberts. I have never heard of anyone having ongoing head problems after a consussion for this long. Even severe auto accident type victims. He apparently is not going to recover enough to play. Erin Joe is a bust. He is just not serious about the game. Chamberlin may come around but it does not sound like he is doing that well this spring so far. It would be nice to be able to get a first hand look at these guys so we could form a more informed opinion but for now we have to rely on what ever leaked classified information we can scrounge up.

We will need some of the walk ons or freshmen to provide depth at the tackle position. Just my thoughts.

Go Jackets!

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
What's this about Roberts?

I updated this situation somewhat in the pre Spring injury update thread...Roberts suffered a head injury in the UGA game...he is still suffering from it. His career is up in the air and it doesn't look good at this time.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Thanks, Eric. Sorry for Roberts. Man, we have had our run of bad luck with OL injuries. Not an indictment of our system, though. We just seem snake-bitten. Oh well, our luck here can only improve! And who knows... if Devine and Griffin do work out well, I also like the idea of Braun at T. We could be fairly solid at that point. Btw, how has Brigham been doing?

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
We will not be successful this year if the offensive line is not better than last year. Vad may have not been good at running the option, but the offensive line wasn't good at blocking for it either.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
@Jerry the Jacket I agree with you on this. So much emphasis is placed on putting the best Olineman at guard that T position is a turnstile. If Shamire Devine is top 5 OLineman why have him sitting on the bench to play Guard, put him at T or kick Braun out to T and put Shamire at LG. Chamberlain was terrible last year, but it wasn't all his fault tho. The system puts him behind the 8ball from the start

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
injuries aside, i sure would have liked to have seen a coaching change on our OL for this season. at some point in time does the common denominator of mike sewak make CPJ scratch his head as it does most of us? i'm sorely disappointed a change wasn't made. and, no, his "johnny come-lately" recruiting efforts don't make up for our lackluster OL play for years now.

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree on moving Braun out to OT. He has the perfect size to play that position. In all honesty I'd be ok with Devine playing OT, but I know CPJ loves him at OG to be a road grader paving a way for the BBacks. Either way you look at it Braun needs to move to OT. Also if you haven't seen the video on Gary Brown you need to watch…if he plays that nasty in college he could be one of the best OGs CPJ has had at Tech. Perfect size and strength to play OG in this offense. To me if I was the Oline coach I'd have big athletic OT and shorter powerful OG and C.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
No I did not have the great honor and priviledge of playing football at Georgia Tech. However, I am a lifelong fan nearing my mid 60's. I devote too much time to following the team and form my opinions on personal observations. Sometimes I say things that offend or put off others. That is not my primary intent but I believe in calling it as I see it and always have. I wish Joe would be an All American; the only guy happier than me would be him. I just have watched him from afar for the past several years and so far he has made a very minimal contribution in return for his scholarship. I think the past usually dictates the future so I for one do not see him being a contributor this year. We certainly need him to be but he will have to show me before I believe it.

Go Jackets!