OT - Jack DeFoor (@jackdefoor54) Ruled Eligible

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Deontay Anderson, C/O 2016 signee and Ole Miss player, has retained counsel and is petitioning the NCAA for immediate eligibility upon transfer on the grounds that he was misled during his recruiting. 2016 is the same class as Defoor. Anderson has stated that if the NCAA denies the petition he will seek a remedy through legal channels.

All that to say the issue could be litigated. IIRC, (Big asterick here) the Judge could issue a TRO for the upcoming year allowing players to be eligible immediately; then uphold the NCAA's finding and force the players to sit the following year. Depends on the timeline of the proceedings.
I hope he sues the NCAA and wins their houses, cars, IRAs, expense accounts, cell phones, laptops, frequent flyer miles, bass boats and yo-yos. There is no defensible reason, none, to strip a kid of one of his four years of playing time because one day he decides he made a mistake when he was 18 and will transfer. Compounded with the corruption in that football program that taints every player, this particular xfer is just egregious. Though I do have to say that going from Mississippi , which is to enter the 18th Century next January, to GT tells me this is a kid who is confident in his scholastic ability.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Ain't life grand? The guy is a surprise transfer, may have to sit a year, and the board already checks in on what position he should play. I say make the coaches earn their pay.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Great News(y)

IF they are talking about any S/A being able to transfer, and be immediately eligable, for ANY reason then I would disagree.

There was a reason the "sit out a season" rule was put in place.

It would cause more cheating and greater expenses (or wasted recruiting efforts and $) if enacted.

I do not know Jack's specific circumstances so this is not directed at him.

And I agree with immediate eligibility of grads and hardship cases.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
IF they are talking about any S/A being able to transfer, and be immediately eligable, for ANY reason then I would disagree.

It would cause more cheating and greater expenses (or wasted recruiting efforts and $) if enacted.

There's no reason to get upset over some "IF" instead of just googling it to see what it actually is.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...picks-up-steam/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

1. the student-athlete earned a baccalaureate degree at the original institution;
  2. the student-athlete’s head coach at the original institution resigned or was fired during or after the most recent season of competition, except that the student-athlete is not
  3. immediately eligible at another institution at which the head coach is employed; sanctions have been imposed on the original institution that limit post-season competition in the student-athlete’s sport;
  4. the student-athlete did not receive athletically-related financial aid at the original institution; or
  5. an exception in bylaw 14.5.5.2 or 14.5.6 is satisfied.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Well, as some of my conservative friends are fond of saying to me, freedom has its price. The NCAA is there for that, if they will do their job, and taking 25% of eligibility away is nothing less than a direct attack on at at least two of the Bill of Rights. Maybe, if what amounts sitting out a year could be seen as a suspension, three. Again, you are saying a kid making a pressured decision at 18 can be trusted to make the right decision. Although the coach won't trust him to call an offensive play or a defensive scheme.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
There's no reason to get upset over some "IF" instead of just googling it to see what it actually is.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...picks-up-steam/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

1. the student-athlete earned a baccalaureate degree at the original institution;
  2. the student-athlete’s head coach at the original institution resigned or was fired during or after the most recent season of competition, except that the student-athlete is not
  3. immediately eligible at another institution at which the head coach is employed; sanctions have been imposed on the original institution that limit post-season competition in the student-athlete’s sport;
  4. the student-athlete did not receive athletically-related financial aid at the original institution; or
  5. an exception in bylaw 14.5.5.2 or 14.5.6 is satisfied.

You have no concept of me being upset. Seriously, just a discussion going on, nothing more. Is it required for everybody to agree with everything you do? Jeez.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I hope he sues the NCAA and wins their houses, cars, IRAs, expense accounts, cell phones, laptops, frequent flyer miles, bass boats and yo-yos. There is no defensible reason, none, to strip a kid of one of his four years of playing time because one day he decides he made a mistake when he was 18 and will transfer. Compounded with the corruption in that football program that taints every player, this particular xfer is just egregious. Though I do have to say that going from Mississippi , which is to enter the 18th Century next January, to GT tells me this is a kid who is confident in his scholastic ability.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
5* who committed to the rebels “after his brother was hired for an analyst position”. So smarmy
Is that not how Freese(sp?) initially went to Mississippi when he previously was the HS coach of Michael Oher, "The Blind Side" subject? And a number of years ago, Danny Manning wound up at Kansas and became an AA. Oddly his daddy, a truck driver by trade though he played some ball, was hired as an assistant coach just the season before. (There is that Larry Brown at work again.) Manning is now at Wake Forest, I think.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
So 5 pages and we still don't know a thing about DeFoor's eligibility. Nice. When an actual ruling is made, can somebody start a new thread with specifics in the title, I'm done checking in with this thread.
Title-Image-Im-Just-Really-Busy.jpg