OSU

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
First weekend series. Cold weather but no rain forecast. High 45 on Friday and 50 on Sat/Sun. Home field advantage Ohio State? Maybe make Saturday a double header? Won't happen but would be humane.

Need to figure out how to get some more runs.

Pitching, I expect Maxwell, Hughes and Roedig to start. I had been thinking Bartnicki to start instead of Maxwell, but after last night, I see the coaches were right. Hope to make a spotting of Quick Hook Hall this weekend with our guys warming up at the first sign of starter control problems. No reason to wait till we're down 4 to start warming someone up.

Ohio State 2-1 with the 7-3 loss to St Joseph's. Beat Pitt and Indiana State. So, like us, they have struggled.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As far as an injury report.

Jenkins hurt himself stepping on first base on a FO. Guessed live to be a hyper extended knee.

Good news is I think I heard Hurter was throwing before the game at 75-80%. Which would explain why he was put on the roster.

On to hitting. We have to get production from more players. Our second leading hitter hurt himself. These stats are awful overall (legible pdf attached) so plenty of opportunity for guys to step up and displace others.

Player AVG OBP AB H BB SO
Michael Guldberg 0.600 0.667 10 6 1 0
Andrew Jenkins 0.400 0.417 10 4 0 3
Luke Waddell 0.364 0.462 11 4 2 1
Drew Compton 0.333 0.667 6 2 6 0
Jackson Webb 0.286 0.364 7 2 2 0
Austin Wilhite 0.200 0.2 10 2 0 4
Jake Holland 0.143 0.25 7 1 1 1
Baron Radcliff 0.091 0.231 11 1 2 5
Stephen Reid - 0 2 0 0 0
Tres Gonzalez - 0 2 0 0 1
Jadyn Jackson - 1 0 0 1 0
Paxton Rigby - 0 1 0 0 0
Charlie Benson - 0 2 0 0 1
Colin Hall - 0.083 9 0 1 3

Attachments

• GT Batting Avg 19 Feb 2020.pdf
    54.8 KB · Views: 40

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Definitely worried about the offense. It is tough to win consistently in college if you feel you cannot give up 4 runs.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Definitely worried about the offense. It is tough to win consistently in college if you feel you cannot give up 4 runs.

I was at the game last night and we hit the ball hard, but right at the defense. (GSU second baseman made an amazing, full lay out snag of a sure double line drive--best play of the game hands down). Base running had a few mistakes as was defense (how does a coaches son not hit the cutoff man??)

Jenkins hurt himself stepping on first base on a FO. Guessed live to be a hyper extended knee.

Actually it was as he made the wide turn to touch first and go to second. The field is grass, but the sides are turf. With the conditions last night down here, if you weren't ready for it, things like that were bound to happen. The catcher slipped on it as well when going after a wild pitch. We are spoiled with our grounds crew.

GTBaseballBoy16

Georgia Tech Fan
You really think Maxwell will start over Bartnicki?? Maxwell had more walks and got the bases loaded twice against the worst D1 college team in the nation.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Hughes, Roedig, and Maxwell will start this weekend. If they want Bartnicki to start Sunday vs. UGA he’ll “piggyback” on Maxwell’s start Sunday and go 3-4 out of the pen. I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing that honestly.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Good news is I think I heard Hurter was throwing before the game at 75-80%. Which would explain why he was put on the roster.

Hall said in a podcast the other day that they were hoping to have Hurter back in May. Said something about “assuming we’re reaching our goals” which alluded to the timeline being postseason.

That would be quite the dose of karma. After getting the 3 seed last year only to be without our Friday/Sunday starters. Would be nice to get a regional and suddenly add a possible ace into the fold.

GT19901990

Georgia Tech Fan
Hall said in a podcast the other day that they were hoping to have Hurter back in May. Said something about “assuming we’re reaching our goals” which alluded to the timeline being postseason.

That would be quite the dose of karma. After getting the 3 seed last year only to be without our Friday/Sunday starters. Would be nice to get a regional and suddenly add a possible ace into the fold.

That would be great for sure. So will he come back next year and play for us, or does he get drafted ?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Here is OSU's game notes for this weekend. They have Hughes, Roedig, Maxwell starting... in that order.

This is a cool side-story.

BEALS vs. HALL
Buckeye head coach Greg Beals will be squaring off with his college coach at Kent State and current Georgia Tech head coach for the sixth time when the two teams meet Friday afternoon. The Yellow Jackets won two of three against the Buckeyes in Atlanta in 2012 before the teams split a two-game midweek series in 2013 in Columbus. Hall led the Golden Flashes from 1988-93 while Beals was a three-year letterwinner from 1989-91. Beals tallied three All-MAC selections while Hall was named MAC Coach of the Year twice.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/2-19-BASE-Release.pdf

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I'm a former Buckeye (undergrad and medical/grad), but rooting for GT!
Another wonderful reason to have you as part of the family, in addition to your incredible knowledge and insight into the game of baseball.

I’m a Ga. State grad. with an M.B.A.; I’ve never rooted for my Alma Mater vs. G.T. in any sport. So my hats off to you, if I ever start wearing a hat again. Smile?

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer

I am concerned about bringing pitchers back too soon after TJ surgery. Perhaps it's irrational based on past experience, but I looked up Cole Pitt's stats pre- and post-TJ as he's one of the more recent pitchers that I recall struggling to come back.

Through the first 17 innings of his Junior year (including Freshman and Sophmore years), Pitts was:

12-7, 4.44 ERA, 80 BB, 119 K's

Was pitching even better at the start of his Junior year, and was expected to be one of our top pitchers. Then TJ.

I thought they brought him back earlier than they should have, and his stats after TJ:

3-10, 6.71 ERA, 64 BB, 86 K's. Still got drafted, but...

I want this team to win, but I'd rather have Hurter for a healthy and solid 2021, rather than rushing him back too soon and compromising his future.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Hughes, Roedig, and Maxwell will start this weekend. If they want Bartnicki to start Sunday vs. UGA he’ll “piggyback” on Maxwell’s start Sunday and go 3-4 out of the pen. I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing that honestly.
I'm good with Hughes and Roedig locked into FRI/SAT for now. As for Sunday.... and every other key pitching role... I'd love to see an open & obvious competition. Not a knock on Maxwell or Bartnicki. We've only seen 1 appearance/start each for them (Tech won both games... btw).

But pitch a lot of guys. Maybe there is a diamond in the rough on the roster. Heck... a guy (Crawford) who was cut twice has performed in the highest leverage situation so far this year. He'd have a save were it not for fact we were behind when he entered the game. He deserved the win & the save on Tues... but that's a scoring impossibility.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Got ESPN+ and am able to watch all the games so far. SWEET! That fog was CRAZY!

This should be a good series. Need the better competition to prep for ACC.

What the hell is St. Peters doing on our schedule? Our HS team could beat them. How do they recruit people to go there if they were 0-38 or something horrific.

NCAA needs a run rule. TxA&M beat PrarieView A&M 30-2..... Some other ridiculous scores.....

Looked at the schedule and it doesn't look like we'll be able to make a game this season. Maybe if we host a regional or something. :)