Original "Yellow Jacket"

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
I sent this email to Todd Stansbury this afternoon - will be interesting to see if the administration will take us up on the offer:

Todd:

As an alumnus (BEE '87) of Ma Tech, I wanted to make you aware of a piece of Yellow Jacket history that resides with our family...

My father (AE '56) still has the original yellow jacket that he flew at halftime in the mid-50's with a handful of other control-line model hobbyists... Some time ago, my dad contacted the administration to gauge interest in having it donated to the GT museum... From what I recall, his gesture was appreciated, but the administration never followed up...

I believe there is already an example of one of the model airplanes that was flown in that era in the museum in the library, but it was some time ago when I saw that one...

In any case, our family is still interested in donating my dad's yellow jacket - if you are interested in taking us up on that offer and can think of a good way for it to be shared with the GT family, we'd be more than happy to discuss...

Here's an album with a few pics and videos from the last time we flew it, about five years ago:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/B2IIFHKfOGnZAkLq1

Best Regards,

Matt

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I sent this email to Todd Stansbury this afternoon - will be interesting to see if the administration will take us up on the offer:

Todd:

As an alumnus (BEE '87) of Ma Tech, I wanted to make you aware of a piece of Yellow Jacket history that resides with our family...

My father (AE '56) still has the original yellow jacket that he flew at halftime in the mid-50's with a handful of other control-line model hobbyists... Some time ago, my dad contacted the administration to gauge interest in having it donated to the GT museum... From what I recall, his gesture was appreciated, but the administration never followed up...

I believe there is already an example of one of the model airplanes that was flown in that era in the museum in the library, but it was some time ago when I saw that one...

In any case, our family is still interested in donating my dad's yellow jacket - if you are interested in taking us up on that offer and can think of a good way for it to be shared with the GT family, we'd be more than happy to discuss...

Here's an album with a few pics and videos from the last time we flew it, about five years ago:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/B2IIFHKfOGnZAkLq1

Best Regards,

Matt

How wonderful! History like this should never be lost! From a life long fan thank you for offering to the school! It has to hard to part with something that has such family memories :)

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Remember?

74e875e95fa7fd9d1ec3c07cb29fa705--yellow-jackets-georgia.jpg