Option Plays

Atomic Jacket

Banned
I think Thomas was deciding before the snap whether he was going to keep the ball or pitch it. I don't think he was reading the defense and making a snap decision to keep or pitch. The reason I think this is that you could see him accelerating past the pitch man long before the defender was close enough to read. Thomas also made the decision to give to the dive man without reading the defense at least once.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The thing that comes across in these clips is just how fast JT is. This is a two edged sword. First, he is so quick that he can get pass people at the edge despite not making the right read every time. Second, he knows that and it probably tempts him to keep the ball in some situations where it would be better to pitch it.

Well, no reason to expect that he'll make reads like Tevin did when he was a senior in his first game. This guy could be the Keenan Reynolds we really need back there, however.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
@Longestday do you think if some of the pitches were a lead pass in the flats instead would it help hit the abacks more in stride, instead of them slowing for the pitch.

I like how JT attacks the play and forces the action. Its the best I've seen.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think Thomas was deciding before the snap whether he was going to keep the ball or pitch it. I don't think he was reading the defense and making a snap decision to keep or pitch. The reason I think this is that you could see him accelerating past the pitch man long before the defender was close enough to read. Thomas also made the decision to give to the dive man without reading the defense at least once.

I don't want to get into an argument with you and ruin this thread, but you don't know what you're talking about.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be surprised if JT, or any other QB in just about any offense, is occasionally deciding where the ball is going before the snap. It's human nature, especially if the defense is showing a tendency.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be surprised if JT, or any other QB in just about any offense, is occasionally deciding where the ball is going before the snap. It's human nature, especially if the defense is showing a tendency.

Of course this happens. And actually paul tells his qb through the abacks what to look for to help him decide.

Its sometimes planned presnap for sure. That is also why u check and audible. Paul will tell the kids of the dt does this i want u to hand it off etc. i know its not a pure presnap decision but it kinda is a what to look for presnap

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure I do. Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. But probably not this time.

Your football knowledge is just not that great. JT missed some reads but not bc he predetermined them. He could not play QB for us if he had to decide presnap whether to pitch or keep. I don't mind your constantly biased posts, because I welcome different views on this board, but you don't have the best grasp of real football discussions.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'd have to go back and look at all again but I believe one of the above plays was a double option with a fake handoff to the Bback. Maybe that is the play atomic refers to. Though its just as likely I misinterpreted the play as a double that wasn't :p

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
There is a pre-snap read, the QB looks at the alignment of the D and the dive/pitch keys. Based on their alignment he may flip the direction of the play, or know that the play will be pitch/keep based on how the D is lined up.

For example if the playside DT is in the 1 tech, and the DE/LB are the dive/pitch key the play will be a keep or pitch because the dive lane is not there. CPJ is not calling that, it is read by the QB before the snap of the ball. If the QB wants to run the dive and the other DT is in the 3 tech the QB will flip the play direction.

Gojackets55

Banned
JT is faster than our abacks. Read the articles that he pushes the abacks because of his speed. It has nothing to do with him making a predetermined pitch decision.