Opposing fan perspective

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan
So what you're saying without saying it is that you're against sidewalk fans across America who purchase Tech gear. Makes you sound ignorant since that is the demographic that we are after.

I give more to GT than I do the college I went to and played for 4 years with that schools name across my chest. But since I didn't go to Tech, my money and I are a joke to you?

I see a lot of humor directed to mutt fans buying gear from Walmart, but those folks allow the mutts to have so much dang money and their fans making every road game a home because of the amount of tix they buy.

Let's not knock sidewalk fans just because we are rare.

oh no. not at all. sorry if that came across poorly. I'm citing my cousin b/c he's not even a football fan and never was. he just wants to be a part of the PSU sphere of influence. they don't go to games. they don't watch games (they're all golfers - they're on a course on Saturdays). they don't care about PSU basketball or any other sports.

that is my point: so many of these people don't even really care about football. they hate higher education. but if you ask them, they're HUGE PSU fans. it makes no sense.

I have a LOT of Pitt friends who didn't go to Pitt. but they actually like sports and college football. and like you, they buy tickets, contribute to the school and/or athletic department. have no issue at all with sidewalk fans. it's the ones who just want to be in the cult for no good reason that annoy me. really just fake fans - that's why you go anywhere in the northeast and you'll see PSU signage everywhere you go.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
As a Tech fan, I can identify with your comment about never being sure of what is going to happen when we take the field. That has become part of our DNA, inconsistency. Just when you think you have a pretty good football team, they crap the bed and put on a real crap show.

Just my opinion on our coaching staff. I think they have a lot of grand illusions of running complex offenses and defenses that will dazzle and amaze you but they fail to handle the basics. They go all-out recruiting skill position players but forget to take care of the essentials of finding and developing quality offensive and defensive line players capable of implementing the age-old principle of winning the line of scrimmage. They compound the problem by failing to make solid game plans and when they discover that they are not working, they stay with them rather than changing to something else that just might work.

I think there is plenty of love in the locker room and within the coaching family, maybe a bit too much. It seems like there is not enough tough love and discipline to inspire and encourage/insist on better performance. Winning seems to be a secondary goal to having everyone happy and enjoying their experience.

This is where we are at. So now I do not expect great things, I merely hope we don't get embarrassed and somehow our young men find a way to overcome the poor play calling and lack of adjustments our coaching staff brings to the table. I am sorry to be so pessimistic because I am in actuality a very positive individual. My lifelong love of Georgia Tech football will not let me turn away and abandon my hopes for better results ahead. At 72 years of age, I just hope I live long enough to see us return to a position of relevance in college football. Congratulations on your win.

Go Jackets!
Like u I Love gt football. Its irrational.

Unfortunately we are getting the coaches we can afford. We are in great debt, donate the least in acc , and buy the fewest tickets. That constrains the ability to buy name brand coaches. THE mega Power 5 increased to multiples over our resources.
The previous staff coaches was hired from smaller programs. They are out of coaching or are at much lower positions.
Our present staff who are from smaller programs or have minimal track record. What we have here is on the job team learning. Ideally we would have a HC or Ast HC that is very MEGA P5 game experienced.
In future we will need to find $$ to get this individual . I would hope Tstan will "help" cgc find this coach because cgc is really a Dabo type coach.

Now we may have to exit a few coaches who arent capable of being on a staff when we are relevant playing Mega p5.
Keep the faith and go jackets.

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan
Like u I Love gt football. Its irrational.

Unfortunately we are getting the coaches we can afford. We are in great debt, donate the least in acc , and buy the fewest tickets. That constrains the ability to buy name brand coaches. THE mega Power 5 increased to multiples over our resources.
The previous staff coaches was hired from smaller programs. They are out of coaching or are at much lower positions.
Our present staff who are from smaller programs or have minimal track record. What we have here is on the job team learning. Ideally we would have a HC or Ast HC that is very MEGA P5 game experienced.
In future we will need to find $$ to get this individual . I would hope Tstan will "help" cgc find this coach because cgc is really a Dabo type coach.

Now we may have to exit a few coaches who arent capable of being on a staff when we are relevant playing Mega p5.
Keep the faith and go jackets.

we talk about this so much: the urban schools are at such a disadvantage these days. even USC can't figure out it out. Cincinnati's success is huge statical outlier - if you guys figure it out, let us know the formula.

BTW - your girls VB team gave us our first loss of the season. we were #2. great win for your squad.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Used to watch a lot of pit volleyball when they were in the Big East. They have improved immensely since then. What changed for Pitt since the Big East?

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan
Used to watch a lot of pit volleyball when they were in the Big East. They have improved immensely since then. What changed for Pitt since the Big East?

we were a pretty good big east team. not nationally but good for the BE standards.

our old crappy chancellor retired. Pitt has a history of letting the eggheads run athletics - any time we start getting too good, the academics step in and squash it.

our new chancellor came and said enough of that. he's investing. we have a great AD who is doing a tremendous job (finalist for AD of the year last year). they recruited a great VB coach and we are paying him very well. he's imbedded in the community. doing all the right things. we invested in facilities. while the VB team is still playing in the old field house (where the BB teams used to play - it's a dump) but they're building a great VB facility.

same thing as most reasons for success: good culture, good coach (with good retention strategy).

we also had our 2 best players come back for a 5th season, hence the jump up this season.