Opposing fan perspective

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
I would like to know about ALL of this. Don't know how many times I screamed at the TV about adding more pressure on Pickett.

I am so tired of seeing a dive play into a mass of humanity that goes nowhere. Why run it?

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
our coach is a meathead. absolutely refuses to change his defensive scheme, regardless of how much a pounding we're taking. which brings me back to why in the world didn't collins take advantage of it the way WMU did?

yeah he wouldn't properly shake Narduzzi's hand after the game (some Pitt fans took exception to it - I could personally care less). but he was definitely in a mood.
Was wondering when this thread would get to the handshake.

slugboy

Staff member
I would like to know about ALL of this. Don't know how many times I screamed at the TV about adding more pressure on Pickett.

I am so tired of seeing a dive play into a mass of humanity that goes nowhere. Why run it?
Maybe we’re trying to prove that we’re tough and can impose our will on the other team. Offensive line coaches (and other coaches) talk about that all the time.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe we’re trying to prove that we’re tough and can impose our will on the other team. Offensive line coaches (and other coaches) talk about that all the time.
It’s fine as long as it’s setting something up for later. Not sure we game plan that far in advance (or at a high level).

For those that believe our path to success is primarily on recruiting better talent - yesterday was pretty bleak. You have to have a plan and also understand what your talent is really capable of. Saying “we have an elite RB room” doesn’t make it true.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
When you got a player like Gibbs why not get him out in space and get the ball to him and let him do his thing? I bet Gibbs might agree with this if he could which he can't I'm guessing. Our coaches appeared to do a good job preparing for Clemson and UNC and a piss poor job preparing for Pitt IMO. It's like they went to sleep last week. Just wonder if they are picking their targets as we go through our schedule, everything seems to be geared to recruiting which i can understand in a way, we need players and more players that fit P5 FB and what we are presently trying to do IMO. CGC stays in marketing mode all the time and frankly with where we were I can't get upset with it. That's just me. I probably look at it different from most, I saw we had a major rebuild and that it would take some years and have accepted that it would take some years, so I get more interested in seeing improvement in personnel and how all that is working and do I see signs that we are getting there and frankly I do see signs. I'm old so maybe I can have some patience watching it change and grow little by little believing we will get there in time.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
It’s fine as long as it’s setting something up for later. Not sure we game plan that far in advance (or at a high level).

For those that believe our path to success is primarily on recruiting better talent - yesterday was pretty bleak. You have to have a plan and also understand what your talent is really capable of. Saying “we have an elite RB room” doesn’t make it true.
I look at this as a spider graph. There are probably 6 important skills and very few people are masters of them all as a head coach. We have a pole instead of a circle for our spider graph coaching skill set. Maybe 2 really strong skill set. (Grant you two of the most important skill sets) But still on year 3 the others skills need to be greatly improving. I think they are improving to be honest with you and at least they have some value instead of zero values on the chart as before.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck

Kind of difficult for those backs to do anything if they do not have blocking. How many times do they have defenders in their faces as soon as they get the ball? I don't think anyone would argue that we don't have one of the best rb rooms in the ACC. Unfortunately we may have the worst oline in the conference as well.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
hello friends. just to start off: a lot of us Pitt fans joke that GT is the Pitt of the south for many reasons (urban, hate the instate rival with a passion, etc). I always root for GT - good people.

pre-game: it seems fans on both sides had some confidence in winning. I did not, b/c Pitt has burned me so many times - I never know what to expect. we beat Tennessee then lose to Western Michigan - it's who we are. And I know this may sound odd coming from a team that won by 31, but I think you could've won this game.

I doubt any of you watched our WMU game but they put on a clinic on how to beat us - what they did was fake handoff, draw the LB's in, hit quick receivers behind the LB's. all game - the blueprint was there. so no offense to you guys, but I wanted to come and ask some questions:

1. why didn't you call almost any RPO's?
2. why did they keep running that QB option and just hand it to the RB over and over again for no gain?
3. Kenny Pickett: he's the best thing we've had since Aaron Donald. the one thing you can't do is give him time b/c he's dealing right now. but you guys rushed 3 or 4 and couldn't get anyone home, at all. why just let him back there with all day with a clean pocket? it's the one thing you can't do.
4. our run game is horrible. HORRIBLE. we were averaging 3.8/carry before the last drive. if a defense holds those numbers, you usually win.
5. sims could've been used so much more - he stayed b/w the tackles all game. why? roll him out!
6. one of our fans in GA said the players hate Collins? is this true?

I suppose this whole post was an indictment on your coach, which wasn't my goal but I guess it is. I had no like/dislike of him before the game. It was just such an odd gameplay and was curious of the GT community's thoughts.

Your questions pretty much mirrored mine after the game except for number 6 (which I don't believe is true). Ya'll run blitzed one or both LBs pretty much every first down or short yardage situation and we acted like we didn't know that was coming. Watching how hard your LBs were coming downhill was almost funny. The times we started drives or first down plays on the perimeter we looked like world beaters. It may simply have been the first deflected pass that kept us from throwing behind the LBs but that was there all day long. Couldn't agree with you more.

I will say we blitzed a lot out of the 3 man front - 4, 5 and a couple of times 6 folks - and still couldn't get there. I am at a bit of a loss as to why as we have been getting better DL and put playmakers at LB. It looked like ya'll just whooped us but another angle could be we ran the same stunts we ran vs. UNC and ya'll had us scouted. That one I don't know. But I do know Pickett had more time to find an open receiver than he did in shorts only practice.

As for an indictment on our coaching - it was not the best day for our coaches. I think ya'll win simply based on physical domination but I do believe it could have been closer with some different schemes on our end - bad OL play regardless.

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan
Kenny Pickett is as good as any QB in the country. I think Pitt will win the coastal this year.
I hope you're right - Pitt has burned me many times so not holding my breath.
Your questions pretty much mirrored mine after the game except for number 6 (which I don't believe is true). Ya'll run blitzed one or both LBs pretty much every first down or short yardage situation and we acted like we didn't know that was coming. Watching how hard your LBs were coming downhill was almost funny. The times we started drives or first down plays on the perimeter we looked like world beaters. It may simply have been the first deflected pass that kept us from throwing behind the LBs but that was there all day long. Couldn't agree with you more.

I will say we blitzed a lot out of the 3 man front - 4, 5 and a couple of times 6 folks - and still couldn't get there. I am at a bit of a loss as to why as we have been getting better DL and put playmakers at LB. It looked like ya'll just whooped us but another angle could be we ran the same stunts we ran vs. UNC and ya'll had us scouted. That one I don't know. But I do know Pickett had more time to find an open receiver than he did in shorts only practice.

As for an indictment on our coaching - it was not the best day for our coaches. I think ya'll win simply based on physical domination but I do believe it could have been closer with some different schemes on our end - bad OL play regardless.

our OL has been helter skelter for years: we can run block but not pass block. or vice versa. this OL actually does pretty well pass blocking but obviously struggles with run blocking.

we're also very poor defending deep passes. again, why didn't your coaches take some chances? but yes, the short stuff across the middle was there all day. I really can't get over that run option up the middle. you take away Gibbs' strength getting open in space. it made no sense.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
3. Kenny Pickett: he's the best thing we've had since Aaron Donald. the one thing you can't do is give him time b/c he's dealing right now. but you guys rushed 3 or 4 and couldn't get anyone home, at all. why just let him back there with all day with a clean pocket? it's the one thing you can't do.
Exactly. When a QB is picking you apart with all day to throw, you have to bring extra pressure at all cost. He might exploit the blitz and it might get even worse, but one thing is certain - if you just let him go hog wild without any pressure, you will surely lose. You have to gamble with the pressure.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
hello friends. just to start off: a lot of us Pitt fans joke that GT is the Pitt of the south for many reasons (urban, hate the instate rival with a passion, etc). I always root for GT - good people.

pre-game: it seems fans on both sides had some confidence in winning. I did not, b/c Pitt has burned me so many times - I never know what to expect. we beat Tennessee then lose to Western Michigan - it's who we are. And I know this may sound odd coming from a team that won by 31, but I think you could've won this game.

I doubt any of you watched our WMU game but they put on a clinic on how to beat us - what they did was fake handoff, draw the LB's in, hit quick receivers behind the LB's. all game - the blueprint was there. so no offense to you guys, but I wanted to come and ask some questions:

2. why did they keep running that QB option and just hand it to the RB over and over again for no gain?
4. our run game is horrible. HORRIBLE. we were averaging 3.8/carry before the last drive. if a defense holds those numbers, you usually win.
5. sims could've been used so much more - he stayed b/w the tackles all game. why? roll him out!

I suppose this whole post was an indictment on your coach, which wasn't my goal but I guess it is. I had no like/dislike of him before the game. It was just such an odd gameplay and was curious of the GT community's thoughts.
1. Oline struggles
2. No clue (should have especially goalline)
3. They blitzed a lot but didn’t get home. Pick your poison with that one. Secondary should have held better too.
4. I thought the played decent against the run.
5. Agreed
6. Unequivocally false

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

The very first pass that was batted and picked was an RPO

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan
The very first pass that was batted and picked was an RPO

I know but your coaches should have watched our game against WMU. it's literally your friend giving you the answers to ever test. ok - good pressure by us and some dumb luck where the ball lands. but it is there ALL game. you saw our LB's sell out on those handoff options. there is NO ONE behind them. just pull the ball out and throw to the TE across the middle.

or, just go deep. if you haven't watched a Pat Narduzzi defense, we literally can't defend the deep pass. you guys didn't even try it. again, weird.

I really appreciate the discussion, BTW. you guys are great. thanks again to all of you who participated.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

1) Ran RPO which would’ve went for TD but tipped due LG missing the block

2) Pitt defended it well. 4/5 of our Guards were out so the interior OL went from meh to atrocious

3) We blitzed a good bit just couldn’t get home. Pitt kept 6-7 blockers and your WRs was still able to get open vs 6-8 defenders

4) Kinda moot if you can’t stop the pass

5) Agree but Sims is still coming off an injury. Can’t play scared tho

6) He was probably speaking for himself. This is far from the truth

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
1) Ran RPO which would’ve went for TD but tipped due LG missing the block

2) Pitt defended it well. 4/5 of our Guards were out so the interior OL went from meh to atrocious

3) We blitzed a good bit just couldn’t get home. Pitt kept 6-7 blockers and your WRs was still able to get open vs 6-8 defenders

4) Kinda moot if you can’t stop the pass

5) Agree but Sims is still coming off an injury. Can’t play scared tho

6) He was probably speaking for himself. This is far from the truth
Appreciate your opinions and insight. For 2), I still don't understand why, since we had to know the same facts you stated (especially after the first couple of failed attempts), we kept choosing to do it, even on absolutely critical downs.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I know but your coaches should have watched our game against WMU. it's literally your friend giving you the answers to ever test. ok - good pressure by us and some dumb luck where the ball lands. but it is there ALL game. you saw our LB's sell out on those handoff options. there is NO ONE behind them. just pull the ball out and throw to the TE across the middle.

or, just go deep. if you haven't watched a Pat Narduzzi defense, we literally can't defend the deep pass. you guys didn't even try it. again, weird.

I really appreciate the discussion, BTW. you guys are great thanks again to all of you who participated.

isn't there a Pitt fan board for you to have these convos on?