Opportunity for GT?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
http://espn.go.com/college-football...patterson-not-interested-rivalry-texas-aggies

From a recruiting perspective, Texas has nothing to really gain with GA recruits since Texas HS football is an assembly line of elite prospects. But from a marketing perspective, Texas versus GT at BDS (and vice versa at UT) would be fantastic since the game would take place in the epicenter of college football (Southeast - Atlanta). Texas wants to widen their footprint, and Atlanta presents that opportunity.

On the flipside, GT could do worse than make a name for themselves with recruits in Texas. Get the GT brand in the minds of Texas recruits leading up to the game, and with the atmosphere of BDS against a top tier football brand, and it would make those recruits think twice about us. Plus, GT against a major opponent has always been beneficial for all parties (Notre Dame, Auburn, etc.).

This game at BDS would be HUGE for the sports scene in Atlanta, and definitely raise our profile...momentarily atleast. These are the types of games GT needs to schedule more often...well, schedle and actually execute (hello, Alabama!)

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
If you see the ACC go to a 9 game conference schedule then that will pretty much kill all OOC games.

I agree I would like for us to get a headline game like the ND series a few years back...how electric was Bobby Dodd that night?

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I would love to see a GT/Texas game. My momma was a Longhorn and there would be some good internal family rivalry on this!

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
That would be awesome! I don't ever see it happening, but man I would love it. From what I saw, the article is talking about playing outside of the US though...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If you see the ACC go to a 9 game conference schedule then that will pretty much kill all OOC games.

I agree I would like for us to get a headline game like the ND series a few years back...how electric was Bobby Dodd that night?

The good thing about ND to ACC (partially) is that they'll come to BDS eventually. I know Brian Kelly REALLY wants to play in Atlanta soon.

That Notre Dame game at BDS was one of the best atmospheres at in recent memory.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That would be awesome! I don't ever see it happening, but man I would love it. From what I saw, the article is talking about playing outside of the US though...

Given GT's high standing around the world, that might not be a bad idea for us!

buzzinanut69

Jolly Good Fellow
How about a game in Australia to get an official pipeline going? More Gotsis(es?) please!!! Or how about a China pipeline? Word on the street is that Asians like engineering, and out of a country of 1.5 billion there's gotta be a few beastly future engineers lurking around...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
For my own selfish reasons, an OOC game against UCLA or USC would be nice. Get a nice footprint into the Los Angeles area for recruiting purposes. (y)

I was doing research...the last guy we got out of Cali was Brandon Leslie in 2008.

Cali is LOADED with talent. Not a bad place to mine for talent.

For my own selfish reasons, an OOC game against UCLA or USC would be nice. Get a nice footprint into the Los Angeles area for recruiting purposes. (y)
Howze about we all take a deep breath and realize we don't recruit at all in California, I can only recall one recruit from Texas in modern times, and I think he ended up quitting--twice.

Animal02

Banned
Howze about we all take a deep breath and realize we don't recruit at all in California, I can only recall one recruit from Texas in modern times, and I think he ended up quitting--twice.

It is not just recruiting out west.....I think it would be a good recruiting tool to say to recruits.......look where you get to go. (Wonder if they have ever tried to schedule Hawaii - you get an extra game if you play them there.)

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Is there a reason why we can't recruit in California? I don't think that the coaching staff should give up because they haven't gotten many from there before. That's like at work when someone tells me, "That's the way we've always done it." That phrase infuriates me.