Opportunity for exposure missed last night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt E

GT Athlete
Did anyone notice Steve Addazio, Paul Cryst, etc providing analysis for ESPN last night during the championship game? ESPN news aired an "inside the BCS film room" with coaches providing analysis of play design, strategy, etc. It would have been great for program exposure if CPJ would have found a way to be a part of this broadcast, especially with his expertise in option football. There is nothing we can do about it now, but this kind of outside the box thinking is one example of a way we can better market our program.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Umm, why would gt do this. This type of exposure may give the public impression we are serious about athletics and the degrees may be devalued. Gt cant have good sports marketing because it would send the wrong message and the school would suffer.

Get with it man.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yup, that's a point I made in another thread.

I remember when Paul Hewitt did the same thing for CBS during the Final Four and a bunch of GT fans were riding him because "he needs to worry about coaching his team and recruiting and not out there advertising himself!" Paul Hewitt had some coaching issues, but recruiting was one thing his tenure wasn't short at and exposing himself to those opportunities helps. I don't think a lot of GT fans understand the marketing aspect being a Head Coach.

Of course, CPJ has to get invited to these things. The one thing the coaches on the show had in common were they all played the teams in the championship game. Sumlin played Auburn, and Addazio and Chryst played FSU so they both had real life exposure to the teams' schemes and personnel to talk about. Would have been hard to put CPJ in there for no other reason than because he runs the option. Lots of teams run the option.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
One can't invite oneself to something like that. Hewitt was not a great recruiter, only made noise 1st 2 years. Went downhill from there.

jacketfanatic15

Georgia Tech Fan
Did anyone notice Steve Addazio, Paul Cryst, etc providing analysis for ESPN last night during the championship game? ESPN news aired an "inside the BCS film room" with coaches providing analysis of play design, strategy, etc. It would have been great for program exposure if CPJ would have found a way to be a part of this broadcast, e specially with his expertise in option football. There is nothing we can do about it now, but this kind of outside the box thinking is one example of a way we can better market our program.
Both of those coaches coached against FSU this year and made quotes referencing their games.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Not saying he never brought in ANY good players. Dang sure not enough to win at the level of his predecessor...or do I need to check my history on that as well? Thread getting derailed.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I wish some of you trying to introduce reason and maturity to this thread would stay on topic and realize that this is a bash CPJ thread. Making him look worse than Hewitt is acceptable though.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wish some of you trying to introduce reason and maturity to this thread would stay on topic and realize that this is a bash CPJ thread. Making him look worse than Hewitt is acceptable though.

Bashing CPJ is acceptable...as long as one does it with decorum, facts, and references to pajamas.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You guys are unbelievable. ESPN had a diverse panal and they had their marquee spread guy there in Kevin Sumlin, why would they duplicate his commentary? Furthermore, how do you guys know CPJ didn't do exactly as you say and asked to be on the panel and they told him to take a flying leap? Just more ways to take pot shots at coach. The bigger this board gets, the more it leans towards the status quo.

Did anyone notice Steve Addazio, Paul Cryst, etc providing analysis for ESPN last night during the championship game? ESPN news aired an "inside the BCS film room" with coaches providing analysis of play design, strategy, etc. It would have been great for program exposure if CPJ would have found a way to be a part of this broadcast, especially with his expertise in option football. There is nothing we can do about it now, but this kind of outside the box thinking is one example of a way we can better market our program.
Our coach is basically Oscar the Grouch. And, unlike L.L. Cool J, he is not very "mainstream and family friendly". It will be a cold day in Alpharetta before Paul Johnson, seven wins and all, gets a TV gig.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Hewitt wasn't a great recruiter? You should check your history on that.
I'm not sure what you mean.He recruited top NATIONAL guys,we are now getting the best in a STATE now
of course couldn't coach nor keep them but could recruit

Matt E

GT Athlete
You guys are unbelievable. ESPN had a diverse panal and they had their marquee spread guy there in Kevin Sumlin, why would they duplicate his commentary? Furthermore, how do you guys know CPJ didn't do exactly as you say and asked to be on the panel and they told him to take a flying leap? Just more ways to take pot shots at coach. The bigger this board gets, the more it leans towards the status quo.

The intent of the thread was not to bash CPJ. My point was simply that it was great exposure for the other coaches and their programs to be on the panel. I hope in the future that the folks at the AA attemp to make that happen. Could they have asked this year and were turned down? It's possible.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure what you mean.He recruited top NATIONAL guys,we are now getting the best in a STATE now
of course couldn't coach nor keep them but could recruit

Yup. I was replying to another poster who said Hewitt wasn't a great recruiter. The guy could recruit with just about anyone, but outside of the Finals run, he never coached them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.