Opponents' Injury Report

thwgjacket

Broken collar bone is usually 6-8 weeks for recovery, that could be longer in football because I'm sure you don't want to immediately head back on the field and have it hit again. If he's having surgery it probably means the break is closer to the shoulder end of the bone. Is anyone else kind of depressed from reading this thread?

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Just announced its a broken collarbone with surgery tomorrow. He'll be out 6 weeks probably

They're saying he should be back in time for our game. I broke mine and will tell you that while it may be true the collar bone is supposedly the fastest healing bone in the body, it is also one of the most limiting in that he won't be able to throw for a while even if it is his non-throwing shoulder, and when he comes back, not only will his timing be off, Brewer will have his head on a swivel. This was a major injury for the Hokies.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Here is the issue for Brewer. I had shoulder surgery last year and learned that the surgery heals pretty fast. Depending on the severity of the break, 4-6 weeks and the bone may be almost completely healed. What happens during that 4-6 weeks that's harder to recover from is the shoulder has to be immobilized so the bone can heal. Maybe not for the entire 6 weeks, but most of it. His muscles weaken and the ligaments tighten. It will take several weeks of PT to get things back in shape. There are nine muscles or ligaments that attach to the collar bone. All have to be relaxed for most of that time. This is not trivial for any of us, but for a football player, it is critical that he be completely healed. Add to that, the left collar bone is weaker than the right.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow, sure seems like a lot of first weekend injuries!
I agree...I think we are truly pushing the bodies to the limit and they're ready to burst in a lot of cases. Could just be more information availability makes me more aware of the injuries though.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Broken collar bone is usually 6-8 weeks for recovery, that could be longer in football because I'm sure you don't want to immediately head back on the field and have it hit again. If he's having surgery it probably means the break is closer to the shoulder end of the bone. Is anyone else kind of depressed from reading this thread?
Yes.
Even though I know injuries are part of the sport I hate to imagine contests being decided by a game of attrition, and I certainly hate it for the athletes.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Wow, sure seems like a lot of first weekend injuries!
It does.

But maybe someone will find a correlation, however, to the now infamous "summer of the shark" that occurred awhile back. For now, at least, it feels abnormal to have so many key players and starters going down after one week.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Miami loses LB Darrion Owens for remainder of season

CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) -- Miami linebacker Darrion Owens will miss the rest of the season with a knee injury.

Hurricanes coach Al Golden made the announcement Sunday, two days after Owens was injured in Miami's 44-20 victory at Florida Atlantic. The sophomore played both linebacker positions and started in Miami's season-opening win over Bethune-Cookman.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/miami-...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter