Opponents Data

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
They always say never look at counterfeits to know the real thing... look at the real thing. But I want to organize thoughts around other teams.

VT:
They lost most of their defense and reports out of camp are that the O is running over their D. Did they reload on D and their O is on a rampage or is their D on a true rebuilding year? GT needs all the help they can get on the road at night. The OFEI was 79 and DFEI was 11 in 2017 with a SOS of 45. Do you really think they jumped to a top 10 offense?

Duke:
They lost their defensive coordinator but keep a lot of returners. They decided to split the position between two current defensive coaches. They do bring back a lot of players and had a DFEI of 34 in 2017. All new OL, but their old OL ranked in 110th in allowing TFL. They lost depth at RB, but return one good horse to ride. The QB recessed last year due to the OL, but did improve the last three games of the year. Their average score for 2017 was 21.3 for and 23.8 against.

USF:
They lost their star QB on a rank 41 OFEI team. The good news is the SOS was 88 (played 9 bad teams), but their defense was ranked a DFEI of 30. Is the new QB as good as or better than their last? They scored on average 38 point per game and scored against of 24 points in 2017.

LV: Lost their QB but had an OFEI of 12 and a DFEI of 84 with a SOS of 35 for 2017. This is going to be tough on the road at night, unless GT dazzles them with their O and the QB loss drops their OFEI. Their points per game was 36.7 for and 28.8 against on average.

uga: Lost a lot of talent to the NFL including that great LB. They also had the loss of two RB in camp. I wonder how their one horse will be for the GT game, if they ride him hard all season. They still have a lot of talent and I will have to see them reload before I buy in to the new Alabama in Georgia.

UVA?

UNC?

Pitt: ?

Miami: ?

GT: They have a new defensive coordinator and, therefore, learning a new defense. They lost their main receiver to the NFL now playing for the Cowboys. GT lost every starter in their DB backfield. This team ranked 63 in DFEI last year and may fall even further given the lack of experience in the backfield and learning a new defense. Their one bright spot is the hope that the past successes of their new coordinator can keep them from to much free fall. The O ranked 23 OFEI in 2017 and they return 9 offensive starters with a SOS of 16. Keep in mind their average score in 2017 was 27.2 ranking 69th and a score against of 28.2 ranking 69th as well.

Sorry about that... I think the true story is the new defensive coach brings in excitement and an improve scheme and gets to 25 points per game and a 45 rank DFEI. GT has some impressive talent that will fill the shoes of the departing defensive backs and the new scheme will cause more turnovers even if the scoring defense stays mediocre. The Offense improves due to second year starter QB and running back, improved depth at OL, and more possessions due to more turnovers to a top 20 OFEI. Yes, I think this is the gold color glasses.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Good write up.
In am wondering if the teams w good and experienced QB can make ok uh r defense pay an extra price. Uga, Duke, maybe vt??

Guess will find ok it if the new DC can adjust. Glad they are later in year