Opponent Preview - Wofford

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
With the season just around the corner figured it would be a good idea to get some info on our upcoming opponent next year.

1st up - Wofford

2013 Record -
5-6
Wins - Citadel (21-10), Georgia Southern (30-20), Presbyterian (55-14), Elon (31-27), Western Carolina (21-17)
Losses - Baylor (69-3), Gardner Webb (3-0), Samford (34-27), Chattanooga (20-10), App St (33-21), Furman (27-14)

2013 Stats

Points Per Game - 21.18
Opponents Points Per Game - 24.91

Rushing Yards Per Game - 269.9
Opponents Rushing Yards Per Game - 173.2

Average Yard Per Carry - 4.6
Opponents Yard Per Carry - 4.1

Passing Yards Per Game - 85.36
Opponents Average Passing Yards Per game - 220

Total Offense Per Game - 355.3
Opponents Total Offense Per Game - 393.2

A few other stat notes....Wofford had 22 fumbles and lost 14....Averaged possession time of 28:54 a game...went for it on fourth down 35 times and converting 18.

Donovan Johnson was the teams leader rusher even though he played in only 9 games...he graduated.

Will Gay is the leading returning rusher with 498 yards on 70 carries.

QB Michael Weimer and James Lawson split time at QB..

According to the media depth chart released before the season last year...

Wofford offense loses starting - LG, C, TE, WR and FB.
Woffrd defense loses starting - ILB, OLB, SS, FS and CB.

They also loses punter, place kicker, long snapper and kickoff.

Couldn't really find a ton of information on Wofford but this is a start.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Do you think that some the new starters will play a little longer than usually no matter of the score to get more game exp?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I
Do you think that some the new starters will play a little longer than usually no matter of the score to get more game exp?

if we don't let reserves play heavy minutes in the first 3 games we will not be successful in the last part of season and that failure leading into 2015 will be a tough pill to swallow after 6 years coach. I think he will go for broke with idea of winning big in 2015.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Ayers is widely regarded as a good coach - and his name was getting thrown around a little when the Southern job came open - but Wofford lost to a bad App team last year. This one will not be close.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I can never be accused of being the "negative Nellie" type but a team that looks like it will be a pushover always worries me. Plus we will be short 2 veteran players.
That being said, I will be there standing & yelling "Go Jackets - Sting ' em".

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
My biggest worry is there may not be much of a crowd. Late August, early kickoff time means it's going to be scalding at HGF/BDS.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I was going to post something similar yesterday but didn't want to come across as negative.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if there are 20K-25K in the stands with 2 minutes left in the game.

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
Never underestimate these SOCON teams. I played at Furman when we beat USC and the next year FU came down and beat GT. Wofford has been looking forward to this game since November. Coach Ayers at Wofford is a great motivator and coach and will have the Terriers fired up for this game. GT will win and I hope we put up 80 points, but don't be surprised if it is a fight.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If our starters play more than a quarter and a half hour or so I'll be disappointed.
Playing tune up games has two objectives: 1) get the starters reps to polish and gain familiarity, continuity and timing. 2) get the backups plenty of reps for experience. You can't sacrifice #1 in favor of #2. Really 3 if you count figuring out position battles that were too close to call in camp. If coach really uses #3 to his advantage, he'll say all positions are still up for grabs. That way nobody slacks off in these games and you have less chance for a trap game scenario happening.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2014/8/12/MKTP_0812144623.aspx
  • For one more week, Wofford football fans will be able to score a free ticket to the Terriers season opener at Georgia Tech in the 2014 season ticket package.
  • A strong contingent of Terrier faithful are expected, including a large percentage of the Wofford freshman class, who are being bused to the game as part of Orientation.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2014/8/12/MKTP_0812144623.aspx
  • For one more week, Wofford football fans will be able to score a free ticket to the Terriers season opener at Georgia Tech in the 2014 season ticket package.
  • A strong contingent of Terrier faithful are expected, including a large percentage of the Wofford freshman class, who are being bused to the game as part of Orientation.

A large percentage of the Wofford freshman class=25 people. Very small school, maybe the smallest playing Division I football, IIRC. Their contingent may look bigger only because of the number of Tech fans who will stay home not wanting to battle
a) the heat
b) the Dome traffic
c) the heat.
Ayers is a good coach but ... yeah, this ain't gonna be close.