Opinion Week: Georgia Tech Will Have A Chance to Vault Into the ACC Elite (FTRS)

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/ge...ill-have-a-chance-to-vault-into-the-acc-elite

Two years ago, Georgia Tech seemed poised to take its place among the ACC Elite. Coming off an 11-win season and a finish inside the AP Top 10, many expected the Yellow Jackets to earn a spot near the top of the Coastal Division, if not the whole conference, with a strong follow up season. That obviously didn’t happen.

Fast forward to the present. The Jackets aren’t coming off quite as strong of a season as they were in the summer of 2015 but last year’s 9-win season left plenty to build on.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If coach helps roof fix the defense and the offense rumbles, we will have some decisive wins. Winning by being perfect on offense is not elite.

Coach has fixed so much since 15 .

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Mmmmm....yeah coach directed things like always. But it was mostly the players that got things fixed imo. That and they didn't suffer the mass losses to injuries that so disrupted '15.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I have been under a rock of late, but I think Tech has been among the elite for several years. A bad year doesn't change that. How many titles, bowl games, wins, are required to be in such exalted air? Now, if you consider FSU and Clemson as the "elite" and everybody else falling out of that category, I won't argue. But if you have elite tier, then Tech is there. Tee it up. Let's play for it.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
If coach helps roof fix the defense and the offense rumbles, we will have some decisive wins. Winning by being perfect on offense is not elite.

Coach has fixed so much since 15 .

I love the triple option as pertains to our unique set of circumstances but I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment expressed in this post. It is impossible to win by being perfect on offense. If we truly want to make noise this year, the defense is going to have to step up in a major way. That is all there is to it. It's time for the D to step forward.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I love the triple option as pertains to our unique set of circumstances but I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment expressed in this post. It is impossible to win by being perfect on offense. If we truly want to make noise this year, the defense is going to have to step up in a major way. That is all there is to it. It's time for the D to step forward.
The dreaded "trend" has become spreads, predominantly passing, get it out quick and play fast offenses and as a result even the teams playing for the national championship in the last two years, both with acclaimed defenses, were giving up five touchdowns a game. Given that, what would be considered "stepping up" on defense? Maybe 24-27 points a game? Because it just seems that is the baseline in today's offensive game. Mainly, I want to see our defense make opposing teams work their way down the field on every possession, ideally starting from inside their 20. A lot can happen in 80 yards of green space.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I have been under a rock of late, but I think Tech has been among the elite for several years. A bad year doesn't change that. How many titles, bowl games, wins, are required to be in such exalted air? Now, if you consider FSU and Clemson as the "elite" and everybody else falling out of that category, I won't argue. But if you have elite tier, then Tech is there. Tee it up. Let's play for it.

You've either been under a rock or you have a strange definition of elite. GT was 2 games below.500 against FBS teams from 2010-2015. That's hardly elite.

I saw a good football team in the last 4 games of last year--on both sides of the ball. For the first time since 2009 (or maybe earlier), there is hope that we finally do have a good, sustainable program. I'm not ready to say elite.

Ted Roof's recruiting has been a key to the improvement, for all of you Roof critics.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
The dreaded "trend" has become spreads, predominantly passing, get it out quick and play fast offenses and as a result even the teams playing for the national championship in the last two years, both with acclaimed defenses, were giving up five touchdowns a game. Given that, what would be considered "stepping up" on defense? Maybe 24-27 points a game? Because it just seems that is the baseline in today's offensive game. Mainly, I want to see our defense make opposing teams work their way down the field on every possession, ideally starting from inside their 20. A lot can happen in 80 yards of green space.

You do understand that at my age I can remember when a touchdown lead in the fourth quarter was money in the bank. Gee, Bobby Dodd, General Neyland, and Bear Bryant are rolling in their graves at the sight of this constant going up and down the field. "Five touchdowns a game"? What's the world coming to?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

I agree. There is "elite" as in talent and public perception which would be FSU and Clemson. Then there is elite in being in the running pretty much every year. That would be GT, Virginia Tech, and I would add Miami to that list although they haven't won anything. Don't know about the Atlantic. FSU and Clemson may be it.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ has had a revolving door of DCs until Roof. None have been able to have great defenses with the available talent. The consistency of having Roof and the defensive position coaches heading in to their 5th (I think) season along with Roof's and McCollum's recruiting will tell the tale this year. If we're not much improved this season then I don't know if we'll ever be with the current recruiting disadvantages. I think consistency of staff is the best thing we have going for us.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
You do understand that at my age I can remember when a touchdown lead in the fourth quarter was money in the bank. Gee, Bobby Dodd, General Neyland, and Bear Bryant are rolling in their graves at the sight of this constant going up and down the field. "Five touchdowns a game"? What's the world coming to?
It's like Pistol Pete Maravich said when someone asks him why all the around the back dribbling and passing, reverse layups and show boating; We're entertainment, in Atlanta we have to compete with X-rated movies! I guess 10-7 going into the 4th quarter isn't sexy!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
And they were great games, too, weren't they?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Hmm, let's see...ACC championship game appearances:

6 Virginia Tech wins = 3
5 Florida State wins = 4
4 Clemson wins = 3
4 Georgia Tech wins = 1
2 Boston College wins = 0
1 Wake Forest wins = 1...UUUUUGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!
1 Duke wins = 0
1 North Carolina wins = 0

Everyone else with 0

So, if we win the division this year we're at 5, a conference championship would be 5 (2).

Oh...and we haven't gone more than three years without an appearance in the ACCCG. Seriously, do you understand what that means? That means that every 4+ year player we've signed since 2003 has been to at least one ACCCG. That's crazy man...no other team in the conference can say that. Florida State is close, but they had a gap from 2005 to 2010 that cut out a class. VT as well, but they had a gap from 2011 to 2016 that cut out a class.

I'm pretty happy with what we've got going right now, but I sure would love to win another conference title.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Hmm, let's see...ACC championship game appearances:

6 Virginia Tech wins = 3
5 Florida State wins = 4
4 Clemson wins = 3
4 Georgia Tech wins = 1
2 Boston College wins = 0
1 Wake Forest wins = 1...UUUUUGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!
1 Duke wins = 0
1 North Carolina wins = 0

Everyone else with 0

So, if we win the division this year we're at 5, a conference championship would be 5 (2).

Oh...and we haven't gone more than three years without an appearance in the ACCCG. Seriously, do you understand what that means? That means that every 4+ year player we've signed since 2003 has been to at least one ACCCG. That's crazy man...no other team in the conference can say that. Florida State is close, but they had a gap from 2005 to 2010 that cut out a class. VT as well, but they had a gap from 2011 to 2016 that cut out a class.

I'm pretty happy with what we've got going right now, but I sure would love to win another conference title.

This is interesting on many levels. I did not know or forgot that Miami with all its talent has yet to win a division much less win the ACC. From this listing, the elite of the ACC would appear to be Virginia Tech, FSU, Clemson, and GT. FSU has made the most of their opportunities with 4 championships in 5 appearances. Clemson has likewise done pretty well. All three of the schools above us have typical recruiting rankings in the top 25 or so. Virginia Tech most years would probably be a few notches below FSU and Clemson. FWIW I would consider FSU and Clemson to be the only true football factories in the ACC. (emphasis on TRUE mind you) Virginia Tech is still on the cusp but can't quite make the grade. Empty trophy case and all that.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You've either been under a rock or you have a strange definition of elite. GT was 2 games below.500 against FBS teams from 2010-2015. That's hardly elite.

I saw a good football team in the last 4 games of last year--on both sides of the ball. For the first time since 2009 (or maybe earlier), there is hope that we finally do have a good, sustainable program. I'm not ready to say elite.

Ted Roof's recruiting has been a key to the improvement, for all of you Roof critics.
Interesting how you selectively omitted 3 of the 5 good seasons.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It really hurts that we lost to Wake in '06, win that one plus Vs. FSU in '15 and GT would be THE elite team in the ACC based on Conf title game appearances and wins. Regardless, I am extremely proud of the quality team and young men that we get to watch as GT fans year in and year out. Our coaches and school are doing it right, a clean program with true student athletes.