Opinion question about the Georgia Tech quarterback situation 2017

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
taquon starts out at AB, wastes a year moves to QB
MJ goes QB, then AB, then QB when it dawned on our staff our QB depth sucks. Why this was not obvious I don't know.
CC starts out at QB, moves to S, will waste a year and move back to QB next year when the coaches realize we need another option.

hmmm

just saying, you can a really pessimistic view of why and how we are handling that position in depth. So obviously out of nowhere, while playing AB, Taquon now showed he is a QB. We had plenty of AB's last year preseason prior to injury for taquon to start out as QB. Yes, I get we had a bunch of AB injuries, but that was during the season and well after we slotted him for AB.

for me, we wasted the kids time in the system, gaining good reps prepping for 2017. Cheese pointed out how long it takes to get it...and it does...which is why I am perplexed why we don't leave more QB's in this system to grow... CC another example IMO

Anyway, call me perplexed a tad....He played QB his whole life. If he is D1 starting material he had no business starting out at AB IMO

Of course, you can take the CPJ knows best avenue, which, may be, but coaches make mistakes too...
I believe CC asked to move.

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
My sole objective on this board is to post everything as a fringe opinion to boost likes, disagreements and increase the total debate level of this board.

I troll so much so subtlely its lol for me sometimes. Hell its a message board. Its fun

Half our staff does suck though imo

While I don't disagree about some of the current staff, the question I would pose in response is would TM the QB, in this offense, better benefit from starting a year at AB or spending the fall as the scout team QB?

My person opinion would be the former. (Freshman PT doesn't count because he got hurt).

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
While I don't disagree about some of the current staff, the question I would pose in response is would TM the QB, in this offense, better benefit from starting a year at AB or spending the fall as the scout team QB?

My person opinion would be the former. (Freshman PT doesn't count because he got hurt).

so for me, one full season of a QB repping in our O is bigger than playing in parts as a AB on a 3-9 team....for me....its just an opinion. We still woulda been 3-9 with TM as QB last year learning...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
BAYLOR's 4th string qb who ran their offense against North Carolina in the Russell athletic bowl.
The just installed BAYLOR RUSH offense rushed for 650 yds!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As far as all the QB depth chart juggling is concerned, the situation on the roster this last year was very fluid to say the least. MJ going to AB was strongly influenced by Byerly being a solid #2 if not #1b. He went down and then we were exposed. You could maybe make the argument that Taquon should have been a QB to start, but we really needed ABs too. If he stays a QB, I'll bet he wears a shirt this year and we will have three years of eligibility remaining and will not have lost much. Christian Campbell has most likely been moved because QB wasn't working out for him. He got his chance. He is a great athlete. We need him on the field somewhere. Not a lot to criticize in his situation, if you ask me.

Stuff like this is always easier to look at in hind site.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
As far as all the QB depth chart juggling is concerned, the situation on the roster this last year was very fluid to say the least. MJ going to AB was strongly influenced by Byerly being a solid #2 if not #1b. He went down and then we were exposed. You could maybe make the argument that Taquon should have been a QB to start, but we really needed ABs too. If he stays a QB, I'll bet he wears a shirt this year and we will have three years of eligibility remaining and will not have lost much. Christian Campbell has most likely been moved because QB wasn't working out for him. He got his chance. He is a great athlete. We need him on the field somewhere. Not a lot to criticize in his situation, if you ask me.

Well said. Plus by playing at AB last year he did get practice within THIS offense (as opposed to opponent offenses), which should help with the learning curve.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

FWIW, CPJ relayed a talk with CC where he told him that he didn't have to worry about beating out JT but just MJ. Apparently CC wanted to compete for a starter role so chose to move to safety. A decision already made/planned earlier as discussed in lil bro rec thread. I don't think your "most likely" reason for his move is correct.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know who will be the QB in 2017 but I think it's very likely we'll struggle there. QB, even in our system, is not a position that you move guys away from for one year while you wait for the depth to thin out. It's not comparable to the idea of playing Allen at Aback one year then moving him to Bback, or trying guys out for one year at QB before moving to other positions. The fact that TM started here as an Aback and Jordan was moved to AB last year tells me that Johnson didn't consider either of them long term fixtures at the QB position. If you think a guy has a chance to be the started after Thomas, you don't put him at/switch him to another position. There is too much value in the experience even as a third string QB to make that move. Marshall only touched the ball 11 times last year, and nearly half of those came against the first two OOC teams we played. Jordan wouldn't have done much more either. To act like those moves were one year decisions is wishful thinking. Those were moves made with 2-3 years down the road in mind. Not just that year. Both are good athletes, but it takes more than athleticism to be a QB.

Hopefully though we either have a stud freshman QB, true or RS, or Johnson was mistaken in his evaluations of one or both Marshall and Jordan.

You are wrong about the MJ move. It was to get him on the field. Him playing AB long term was never a plan.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
You are wrong about the MJ move. It was to get him on the field. Him playing AB long term was never a plan.

Yeah, you're right. Common practice with QBs is to move them to another position for a year instead of having them get more practice at the QB spot. I mean after all, practice just really isn't that important to QBs compared to getting maybe 15 carries at another position on the year.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, you're right. Common practice with QBs is to move them to another position for a year instead of having them get more practice at the QB spot. I mean after all, practice just really isn't that important to QBs compared to getting maybe 15 carries at another position on the year.

The guy has proven to be in the know on things before.

And you really show your lack of understanding of our offense when you make statements like this. The QB, BB, and ABs work together in an intricate, timing-based system. There's a reason the QBs and BBs are often coached by the same position coach in this offense, and why you often see this type of movement b/w the positions.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
And you really show your lack of understanding of our offense when you make statements like this. The QB, BB, and ABs work together in an intricate, timing-based system. There's a reason the QBs and BBs are often coached by the same position coach in this offense, and why you often see this type of movement b/w the positions.

We often see this type of movement? Really? Care to share some examples then. Oh, and just so we're perfectly clear. We're talking about QBs who played other positions before taking over the reigns at QB. Not guys who were QBs then moved to other positions. Here, I'll help.

Thomas - Nope.
Byerly - Nope.
Lee - Nope.
Washington - Nope.
Synjyn Days - Hey one. No, wait, his movement was AWAY from QB not to it. Sorry. Nope.
Jaybo - Nope.
Nesbitt - Nope.

Guess I must missed all those moves that happen so often. Maybe they were more common at Navy or Southern. But I'll let you do the leg work on that one.

Or are you getting confused with moving away from the QB position with moving to the QB position?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We often see this type of movement? Really? Care to share some examples then. Oh, and just so we're perfectly clear. We're talking about QBs who played other positions before taking over the reigns at QB. Not guys who were QBs then moved to other positions. Here, I'll help.

Thomas - Nope.
Byerly - Nope.
Lee - Nope.
Washington - Nope.
Synjyn Days - Hey one. No, wait, his movement was AWAY from QB not to it. Sorry. Nope.
Jaybo - Nope.
Nesbitt - Nope.

Guess I must missed all those moves that happen so often. Maybe they were more common at Navy or Southern. But I'll let you do the leg work on that one.

Or are you getting confused with moving away from the QB position with moving to the QB position?
The position is flexible if the AB in question was a former hs qb like TaQuon. What I think is important to realize is the knowledge of the offense from the Aback perspective is valuable to a qb in training. He has live, game-speed knowledge on many aspects of the offense, especially the ones where the qb interfaces with the Aback, which are many.

Another key point some are missing is we desperately needed him at Aback last year due to a drastic shortage. I also think the coaches were gonna take a look at AJ Gray at qb but didn't want to lose him at safety. Having a pile of Abacks made sense to look at TM instead.

There's no denying we have flexibility in our skill positions and that crosses over to defense. It happens when you recruit a bunch of hs qb's.

GTFLETCH

Banned
MJ starts... But T. Marshall plays...Much like the Tevin/Vad.(2012)..Vad/JT.(2013).. Then in 2018...T. Marshall or Lucas Johnson starts much like JT has since 2014..

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The position is flexible if the AB in question was a former hs qb like TaQuon. What I think is important to realize is the knowledge of the offense from the Aback perspective is valuable to a qb in training. He has live, game-speed knowledge on many aspects of the offense, especially the ones where the qb interfaces with the Aback, which are many.

Knowledge from the Aback perspective is valuable to a qb in training? More so than a year practicing as a QB? If so then why didn't Thomas spend a year at Aback? Or Byerly? Or Lee? Or Washington? Or Jaybo? You can't actually believe that Johnson had any intention of Marshall playing QB here when he put him at Aback to start. So he has a slightly better understanding of the QB/AB relationship, maybe, but was he working on the bback mesh? How about pre and post snap reads? Footwork? Passing? Or was he so proficient in those things that he didn't need to work on them? But hey, can you name one player under Johnson who spent a year at some other position then went on to have success at QB?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Knowledge from the Aback perspective is valuable to a qb in training? More so than a year practicing as a QB? If so then why didn't Thomas spend a year at Aback? Or Byerly? Or Lee? Or Washington? Or Jaybo? You can't actually believe that Johnson had any intention of Marshall playing QB here when he put him at Aback to start. So he has a slightly better understanding of the QB/AB relationship, maybe, but was he working on the bback mesh? How about pre and post snap reads? Footwork? Passing? Or was he so proficient in those things that he didn't need to work on them? But hey, can you name one player under Johnson who spent a year at some other position then went on to have success at QB?
We haven't needed to but it's nice to know you can if you have to in a pinch.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The biggest reason we had him at Aback is because we recruited him there in the first place and desperately needed him there last year.

I'd also wager qb is always in the back of CPJ's mind when he recruits highly athletic hs qb's. CPJ is no dummy and realizes the flexibility of hs qb's. They have played each of the following positions on our team:

qb
bback
aback
safety
corner
linebacker
kick returner

The only groups not represented by a former hs qb are kickers, linemen and wr's (not completely sure about wr's).

Last edited:

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
You can't actually believe that Johnson had any intention of Marshall playing QB here when he put him at Aback to start.

I remembered reading this quote while going through this topic and found the actual post. PJ was thinking about Taquon Marshall at QB down the road as early as July of last year.

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2015/07/28/tuesday-tech-review-the-mostly-paul-johnson-edition/

Incoming freshman TaQuon Marshall is expected to play A-back this season, but “I’m not sure he’s not a quarterback,” Johnson said.

At that time Taquon would have been fifth on the depth chart behind Thomas, Byerly, Jordan, and CC, so he wasn't going to get any snaps at QB.

The same article mentions that at Navy Kaipo moved from backup QB to backup wide receiver for a year, and went on to start for 2 1/2 years. It's not unheard of, I mean Ryan Tannehill started at wide receiver as a freshman at Texas A&M and it stunted his growth so much that he now starts for the Dolphins.

Taquon makes more sense to me than Matthew Jordan, with JJ Green becoming eligible it wouldn't hurt for him to take a RS year as the emergency third-string QB. I don't know why Matthew Jordan was moved to A-back, he was third-string with the #2 graduating. Either he was better at A-back than the guys there and could help that year, or there wasn't much confidence he'd hold on to his spot on the QB depth chart.