Open date

Animal02

Banned
If we don't see line up changes after this week off something is wrong. We are not winning the costal, were not going to a bowl game. We need to do something so we can prepare for next year.
That is called quitting on a season. No self respecting player or coach in college ball is going to quit on the season for the sake of "next year" plain stilupidity to suggest that.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
That makes no sense. Even if you expect Lucas to beat them out getting them more experience is just better.

Only if they gave us the best chance to win now. If TQM gives us the best chance to win now, and you expect to have LJ be the guy next year (he beat them out prior to the start of the season) getting Oliver more snaps doesn’t help us. If I were a senior I would not buy in to the idea of playing for next year, I would see it as a waste of my hard work. If guy x gives us a better chance to win now, the guys would buy into that.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
"Bull crap speculation" is the very essence of a message board but "arm chair coaches"? I am barely an armchair fan much less a coach.

But you know with a certainty which QB is most capable and why CPJ plays who he does. Oookay.

I get your frustration though. It makes me want to gamble with high risk change myself. But I’d feel pretty foolish if I tried to claim to know our players ability better than our coaches.

You know all the folks who claimed Roof had favorites on D and only played them for that reason...with better players sitting behind them? They were certain CNW would see things right and bench those “favorites.” Fast forward to mid season and guess what? The same guys are playing still. New staff, new adjustments, new scheme....but same favorites. RIIIIGHHT!!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The Off week won't make PJ any smarter. Why would you have a TRUE FR run back ANY KOs when you can get the ball at 25 for FREE? To go with other tactical errors, amazing. How does 4-8 sound?

Remember that runback for a TD called back by a penalty. You keep trying returns to repeat that without the penalty.

What needs to get fixed there is the thinking of a player that believes he can go 80 yards forward by going back 15 first...all while not protecythe ball.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
But you know with a certainty which QB is most capable and why CPJ plays who he does. Oookay.

I get your frustration though. It makes me want to gamble with high risk change myself. But I’d feel pretty foolish if I tried to claim to know our players ability better than our coaches.

You know all the folks who claimed Roof had favorites on D and only played them for that reason...with better players sitting behind them? They were certain CNW would see things right and bench those “favorites.” Fast forward to mid season and guess what? The same guys are playing still. New staff, new adjustments, new scheme....but same favorites. RIIIIGHHT!!

That, my learned friend, is one of the best things about being an "armchair coach/fan" is to pontificate from on far with no repercussions other than the occasional reprimand from a whippersnapper such as yourself.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ will give either Cooper or Jazz Lee lots of reps at a position other than center during the off week. I suspect CPJ thinks both of those guys are in the top 5 on the OL talent-wise, and it's always a good idea to have your best 5 starting on that unit.
We need our most experienced and quickest line men to face bud foster .
If we can pinch the gap shooters we can bust some long plays. Tqm and oline had big game against a much better dl in 17.

Watching the replay WB was good as braun. Lee and cooper seemed fine but the young guys were a big drop off

ImoCoach needs to spend time w defensec to figure what to do about slow lb play. And then figure out how to get kick off into back of endzone or so high we can cover. Worst ST in a while.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Only idiots don't prepare for the future ......... {Came across as harsh but there is a balance in preparing for the future and living in the present. Need both. "Dream of the future. Act for the future. Be wise in the present."}

Not at the expense of wins and a chance to go bowling.

Young players can get coached up adequately in spring and fall preseason. Why is this concept so difficult to grasp?

These young players are practicing now even if not getting reps in game btw.

Animal02

Banned
Not at the expense of wins and a chance to go bowling.

Young players can get coached up adequately in spring and fall preseason. Why is this concept so difficult to grasp?

These young players are practicing now even if not getting reps in game btw.
Exactly. Too many try to compare college ball with the pros... like a MLB team in the waning days of a season that is not sniffing the playoffs. There is no comparison.

Texwood

Jolly Good Fellow
We need our most experienced and quickest line men to face bud foster .
If we can pinch the gap shooters we can bust some long plays. Tqm and oline had big game against a much better dl in 17.

Watching the replay WB was good as braun. Lee and cooper seemed fine but the young guys were a big drop off

ImoCoach needs to spend time w defensec to figure what to do about slow lb play. And then figure out how to get kick off into back of endzone or so high we can cover. Worst ST in a while.

I will be shocked if both Coop and Lee aren't both on top of the next depth chart.

ST has been an utter disaster this season. Full stop.

My big complaint about LB play is that we have two LB's filling the same gap way too often. It's always difficult to know who ****ed up in those situations (as an outsider), but it looks like #51 is the one to blame in most of those blown gap assignments.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Only if they gave us the best chance to win now. If TQM gives us the best chance to win now, and you expect to have LJ be the guy next year (he beat them out prior to the start of the season) getting Oliver more snaps doesn’t help us. If I were a senior I would not buy in to the idea of playing for next year, I would see it as a waste of my hard work. If guy x gives us a better chance to win now, the guys would buy into that.

In CPJ’s system - when playing against a team with a quality defense - is the best QB the player who runs the option well, but passes okay, or the player who runs the option okay, but passes well? Does the outcome change, if the player who runs the option well, passes poorly?

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Hang on a second Whiskey - that's not entirely true. A true freshman just took a starting job away from a senior. Also a lot of the starters on D from last year are gone too. Our starting corners are underclassmen that beat out guys that played last year.

Having said that, I was never one that said Roof played favorites with better players sitting behind them. But I do think Woody isn't afraid to make changes and he's getting better results.

Carry on. ;)

Milwaukee

Banned
Awesomeness. 3 things stand out to me (4 really, but I don't think Wes is coming back)

1 - classic unis. Why can't Adidas just slap their logo on these?

2 - our players looked as big and fast as our competition, and we looked more skilled

3 - who's a$$ do I have to personally kiss to bring back the giant inflatable Buzz down in the corners? I'll even do it on live television.

Animal02

Banned
Awesomeness. 3 things stand out to me (4 really, but I don't think Wes is coming back)

2 - our players looked as big and fast as our competition, and we looked more skilled

3 - who's a$$ do I have to personally kiss to bring back the giant inflatable Buzz down in the corners? I'll even do it on live television.

That was the first game I had attended in 15 years.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

The day I became a Tech fan and jumped on the roller coaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Hang on a second Whiskey - that's not entirely true. A true freshman just took a starting job away from a senior. Also a lot of the starters on D from last year are gone too. Our starting corners are underclassmen that beat out guys that played last year.

Having said that, I was never one that said Roof played favorites with better players sitting behind them. But I do think Woody isn't afraid to make changes and he's getting better results.

Carry on. ;)

I actually completely agree with everything you said here. It’s other folks who think the same favorites (well mostly just one favorite and I actually do agree with some of the criticism being pointed out at him) are still receiving favoritism over better players on the bench.

Some positions won’t perform as well as we would like. I’ve never bought into the thinking that better players are sitting so a coaches pet can play. Sometimes more athletic guys are backups instead of starters...that’s true. It’s also where football IQ sometimes trumps athleticism.

Last edited: