OOC schedule

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
Having watched/evaluated the team and roster thus far, and knowing what the ACC schedule is for Jan/Feb/March of 2022, if you could (re)set the Dec OOC schedule right now, would you still add/include LSU and USC? You know uga and BIG/ACC challenge opponent will be there. You expect based on winning the ACC tilte last year that the BIG opponent will not be Nebraska or Northwestern again - it will likely be at least a mid-tier BIG program (turns out to be Wisc). You know there will also be an ACC opponent in Dec (turns out to be UNC). So you know going in that you have 3 P5 opponents in Dec automatically.

slugboy

Staff member
The Wisconsin game is looking a little tougher than originally expected. They just beat #12 Houston and have two more games in the Maui invitational against quality opponents. They won’t be scared next Wednesday coming to Mcaimish.
There’s a season preview at https://bustingbrackets.com/2021/10/05/wisconsin-basketball-2021-22-season-preview-outlook-badgers/. It doesn’t look like they’re quite playing the way the preview thinks they would (Vogt came off the bench against Houston instead of starting).

ESPN/AP has a write up of the Wisconsin/Houston game. By the stats, you’d expect the game to be pretty even, but Wisconsin seems to have a strong defense and nearly shut down Houston’s main scorer.

"They were 20 points better than us in the first half, we were 18 points better than them in the second half," Houston coach Kelvin Sampson said. "I'm a little bit surprised at how we played the first half. We weren't competitive, not a lot of emotion on defense."

Wisconsin, which has led the Big Ten in scoring defense under Gard four of the last six years, came into the game allowing a Big Ten-best 53.8 points per game, which ranks 14th in the nation. The Badgers held Houston to its lowest offensive output of the season. The Cougars scored 63 or fewer just five times last season, going 3-2 in those games.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Having watched/evaluated the team and roster thus far, and knowing what the ACC schedule is for Jan/Feb/March of 2022, if you could (re)set the Dec OOC schedule right now, would you still add/include LSU and USC? You know uga and BIG/ACC challenge opponent will be there. You expect based on winning the ACC tilte last year that the BIG opponent will not be Nebraska or Northwestern again - it will likely be at least a mid-tier BIG program (turns out to be Wisc). You know there will also be an ACC opponent in Dec (turns out to be UNC). So you know going in that you have 3 P5 opponents in Dec automatically.
If I knew Tristan and Bubba would be no gos; I might have wanted a softer game or two.

That said I think this team is continuing to feel and figure out the longer rotation. Couple of keys for me to see us get elite:

1) BE LIKE MIKE: more fluidity to our O when Devoe is in and going off. He has shown this year he is willing to take over the game and I like him getting touches each time down the court but our guys need to be moving and creating their own open looks for a dagger pass from Mike.

As we get into the ACC part of our schedule he is going to see more doubles and scheme trying to knock him off his comfort zone so there will be open guys, and the open guy needs to be the go to guy.

2) DEFENSE TIGHTENS: The defensive effort and scheme have been this staff’s calling card since they got here so I’m not worried but we do need the guys to keep focus and tighten the lane control in man and passing lanes in zone. I want more turnovers from picked off or broken passes out of our zone. If we give ACC teams the open corner looks out of our 1-3-1 they’ll feast. So we need fast close outs and Hard Deny on them getting the ball out to the corner without dribbling it themselves (and us trailing a D for a switch).

3) DEVOE SHOW: if Mike can hold up his intensity (I think he can) and stay healthy (I hope to good golly goodness he does) I think he is going to have a special year. I said in the off-season I expected him to assert more of a role now - he was the calm yin to Alvarado’s frenetic yang - but he has that killer instinct in him too. Just more icy about it than rah-rah.

He knows, and the team knows, this year he and Usher are going to be the guys to twist the dagger. Our other guys just need to be filling a supporting role. No one else needs to press, because those two dudes know what time it is.

4) YOUNG GUNS, NOT YOUNG’NS: to that point we need our newer roster guys (Deebo and Smith in particular) need to let the game come to them. They’re going to be FIERCE as they mature and as long as they aren’t pressing we will be fine. Our team speed with them on the floor is high, even in conference, so they just need to be reliable and solid. Not standout yet - when they develop though ooooh boy look out!

5) HOUSE OF USHER: dude is so clutch for us. He is going to need to be the pain inflicted in the paint that opens the court up for the other guys to find easy back door cuts. I know we have some traditional C minutes and that we won’t often run the short nascar lineup with Ush at the 5 spot, but he still needs to keep up his rebounding and dunks/putbacks. We need the 5 for the loyal opposition to be afraid to shut down our C for fear of not being able to help on D against him.
If he keeps the scoring clip up near 15-20 even better. For me though a big influence he can have in the game is making their D account for him to open the game up for our 5; or making them pay for leaving him to be guarded by some mere mortal PF.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
What I LOVE seeing is the intermediate jump shot coming back. Devoe, Usher, and Sturdivant have all shown to be killers with the 6-8' pull-up jumpers so far. Excellent touch on the ball. Smith a little too. That's going to be huge in opening up the outside because dribble penetration doesn't mean having to go all the way to the rim. Having to defend all three aspects of the offense is something I haven't seen in a long, long time.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
What I LOVE seeing is the intermediate jump shot coming back. Devoe, Usher, and Sturdivant have all shown to be killers with the 6-8' pull-up jumpers so far. Excellent touch on the ball. Smith a little too. That's going to be huge in opening up the outside because dribble penetration doesn't mean having to go all the way to the rim. Having to defend all three aspects of the offense is something I haven't seen in a long, long time.

Wait until you see Saba turn and face the basket and hit a 12 footer. I think that will be the real weapon (when the big guarding him can't sag). I know he's a good shooter, but must not have the green light. Maybe we're saving that for an upcoming opponent?

My concern right now is Deivon. He reminds me of when Usher came to GT. Just trying to do too much, bad shot selection, turnovers and defensive breakdowns. If you go back and watch the points scored by Charleston Southern, Deivon was defensively involved too frequently. I think his ceiling is really high, but we need him to get there by being additive to the team. But...we just watched Usher transform his game. Usher is terrific for us and we're very lucky he came back for another go.

Our schedule is fine. We want to have a big boy basketball team we need a big boy schedule. I don't want to schedule like VPISU...

Last thing - let's make the dance and drive some team nuts with prepping for our zone on short notice. Syracuse has over-achieved in the tourney because they are hard to prepare for on short notice.

/

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Wisconsin coming up next week. They just gave St. Mary’s their first loss.
Wish we were playing against their WBB team. They are bad.

Formerlybis

Georgia Tech Fan
Hey, folks. Badger fan here - just checking back in after having posted back when our matchup was announced.

We are over the moon happy with the way our young (mostly) team has come out of the gate. Johnny Davis (soph) has been much, much better than we had a right to think he could be - he was easily the MOP of the entire Maui (er, Vegas) tournament. The one game the Badgers lost this year was a couple of weeks ago to Providence - Davis did not play due to a heel injury.

This is not a good shooting team, however, at least from the floor. They rely primarily on defense and good FT shooting. Maybe great FT shooting, actually - 83% as a team through 6 games.

The player you folks probably know better than we do, Jahcobi Neath, has been hurt and there's no timetable for his return. I'd be surprised if he'd be ready by next week. Even when healthy, he was 8th or 9th in the rotation - he can help us, but we have other options.