One week till Clemson...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I feel very confident about this game for some reason.

First of all, with few exceptions (Spiller!!!!), this is typically a close game no matter how much talent CU fields. Second, it seems like Clemson always struggles with our offense. If we don't stop ourselves (huge IF) we should put up enough points to win.

The question is will we keep Watkins in front of us. If we continue this recent progression on defense, particularly the Dline play, we should be fine. I hope the rushing offense CU displayed vs. UGA doesn't make a return.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
We always have a shot because it is Clemson (and Dabo). I think it is a toss up honestly. If we do not turn the ball over, I think we can win. Who knows which offense will show up though, right? The one versus Syracuse or the one versus Virginia?

The Clemson fan base and media seem to be giving us some respect. It has been such a good rivalry over the past decade, I do not believe Clemson would discount an unranked Tech team.

gtg771r

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we have a 33% realistic chance of winning. I see it playing out one of three ways. 1. Clemson blows us out. 2. Clemson beats us in a close game. 3. GT wins in a close game.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I want to see us have some long drives that we finish off..keep Watkins on the sideline and wear that D out.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think we can win this game. We need to come in focused, and execute like we did when we played Syracuse. I also think getting Beno back is a big help. If Bailey could play as well that would give us an even better shot at a W.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the biggest factor in our favor is that we have had the bye week instead of just a short week (like Clemson has) to prepare for this game. Because of this (and because it's Clemson), I think GT has a very realistic chance to be in this game (if not win it). It will be close either way. Another thing that would help is if Tajh Boyd, Sammy Watkins, and Vic Beasley all tripped down that slope running on to the field ;) which btw is still the dumbest idea i've ever seen.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think the biggest factor in our favor is that we have had the bye week instead of just a short week (like Clemson has) to prepare for this game. Because of this (and because it's Clemson), I think GT has a very realistic chance to be in this game (if not win it). It will be close either way. Another thing that would help is if Tajh Boyd, Sammy Watkins, and Vic Beasley all tripped down that slope running on to the field ;) which btw is still the dumbest idea i've ever seen.

Dude, unless I'm reading it wrong, I'm pretty sure each team will have had the same amount of time off by the time we play. You want to change your prediction now don't you? ;)

On their hill, I think it's a neat tradition but does seem a bit risky.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I love the Hill and Howard's Rock. I love Tradition. The Rambling Wreck is the major entrance tradition in all of college football. Looking at Touchdown Jesus at ND is stunning. UT entering through the "T" is cool. It is the traditions, as much as the game, that makes college football more than the piece of plastic that is the NFL.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Sorry. Got so wrapped up in tradition I forgot to make my "prediction".

I agree with Eric. I would love the 7 & 8 minute drives, the middle and both sides, the big D line guys running from sideline to sideline every 25 seconds. By the 4th qtr Howard's Rock (the defense) is jello. Yeah, that makes a win.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I posted a thread on stingtalk comparing 2008 to 2013. It was the first year in the system, and we hadn't been playing that great. The only games in which we scored over 21 pts were the Jaybo games against MissSt and Duke and the FSU game. Going into the last two weeks we averaged about 22pts/game against FBS opponents. We had a bye before the Thursday night game against Miami and scored 41 followed by the 45 we scored against georgie.

I think the bye week sets up nice for us to get Vad and the offense calmed down and focussed and get the OL etc a little less banged-up. I think a lot of fans have under-appreciated the fact that we just played 8 straight weeks against FBS opponents, 7 of which played in bowls last year. That's a grueling schedule. When you combine that with already being bowl eligible, we should be loose and raring to go. Moreover, a VPI win this Saturday against d'oh U will mean that beating CU the following Thursday will give us a share of the regular season coastal at 6-2. CU on the other hand will be facing us and SCe in hopes of getting a BCS at-large. I think that they come in on a razor's edge between tight and cocky.

If we can stop them quick and score slow and steady a couple of times, then they'll melt. Also, Clowney was right about Boyd. He doesn't handle pressure well. Pitt only tasted a fraction of the blitz packages that Roof will unleash. It's going to be an ugly game fellas. GT 36 - CU 9.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Dude, unless I'm reading it wrong, I'm pretty sure each team will have had the same amount of time off by the time we play. You want to change your prediction now don't you? ;)

On their hill, I think it's a neat tradition but does seem a bit risky.
Oh, never mind. I just looked at their schedule and they have the same time to prepare that we do. Still, I think we have a fair chance because it's Clemson and anything can happen (see GT/Clemson game from 2011)

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
I posted a thread on stingtalk comparing 2008 to 2013. It was the first year in the system, and we hadn't been playing that great. The only games in which we scored over 21 pts were the Jaybo games against MissSt and Duke and the FSU game. Going into the last two weeks we averaged about 22pts/game against FBS opponents. We had a bye before the Thursday night game against Miami and scored 41 followed by the 45 we scored against georgie.

I think the bye week sets up nice for us to get Vad and the offense calmed down and focussed and get the OL etc a little less banged-up. I think a lot of fans have under-appreciated the fact that we just played 8 straight weeks against FBS opponents, 7 of which played in bowls last year. That's a grueling schedule. When you combine that with already being bowl eligible, we should be loose and raring to go. Moreover, a VPI win this Saturday against d'oh U will mean that beating CU the following Thursday will give us a share of the regular season coastal at 6-2. CU on the other hand will be facing us and SCe in hopes of getting a BCS at-large. I think that they come in on a razor's edge between tight and cocky.

If we can stop them quick and score slow and steady a couple of times, then they'll melt. Also, Clowney was right about Boyd. He doesn't handle pressure well. Pitt only tasted a fraction of the blitz packages that Roof will unleash. It's going to be an ugly game fellas. GT 36 - CU 9.
I really hope you're right about that score

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
At this stage I just don't have a feel for this game. Tech has historically played well versus Clempson and we know Clempson's history with potential on the line ;) I believe the term is clemsoning??? The week off is a big benefit to Tech, lots of bumps and bruises to heal along with getting their minds fresh. If Tech is sharp and clean a win is by no means out of the question. Tech needs to control the ball and the clock along with just being solid on D. I like their chances! :D

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow

No way we hold them to 9 points... I guess they're going to score at least 21 points...

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Depends on which Tajh shows up. He is a great QB, but he does cause Clemson a lot of problems in some games. 2 yrs ago he made sure we won that game, and last year he keep them in it. So it depends on him IMO. We will score points either way I feel.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm looking at our defense and would love to see < 50 total points scored. Now I know our offense have left points on the board and all in all leaves quite a bit to be desired, but I'm confident that the O will start producing this year into next. Its only a matter of time. If our defense continues to show signs of improvement I'm very optimistic with our team going into the Georgia game.