One Undeniable Offensive Improvement

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
To my eye, our pass blocking has improved in 2016 significantly. Whether from the addition of Coach West, or an increased emphasis from CPJ and Coach Sewak, it is clear that we are not only more fundamentally sound as individual OL, but seem to have a better overall approach to pass blocking. RBs are picking up blitzers and a visible pocket has been pretty noticeable on most pass plays. Most encouraging has been the pass pro on third and longs. The good protection on these plays hasn't been a result of surprise or play action; just good blocking.

Though I have some concerns with our run game, we all know that aspect typically improves throughout the year. This pass pro improvement, however, gives me the confidence that if we had to sling it 20-25 times in order to win a game this year, we have a decent chance of being able to do it.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'd love to see us throw it a little more regularly and add in some shorter/quicker routes.

I think we know we can do it if we have to, and have deliberately worked on the run game as much as possible. I am still hopeful that we run 80-90% of the time vs. Vandy if we can win that way, and come Thursday night vs. Clemson, JeT goes off for a couple hundred 1st half passing yards on national TV!

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah this is easily the first time since CPJ has been here that we have had actual pass blocking. I plan on hugging Ron West if I ever see him on campus.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I agree.The one part of the team that is definitely better than anticipated(or last yr) is the passing game.The rest is at best neutral. Vandy will be tough to run on .Get ready for BC part 2 .

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
The emergence of Searcy has given us a boost and Jeune has come on some but I still worry about being able to beat man coverage. If that doesn't happen people will start bringing more rushers. So far we've done better but we'll see this week.

bmeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks to Longest Day's breakdowns, I've discovered that when we aren't running the 3O, our OLine looks incredible. It's only when we run our base offense do we miss assignments. Kind of ironic if you think about it!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The emergence of Searcy has given us a boost and Jeune has come on some but I still worry about being able to beat man coverage. If that doesn't happen people will start bringing more rushers. So far we've done better but we'll see this week.
This is the big question. Searcy has shown he can shake free from coverage as an AB. So far Jeune has shown very good hands and the ability to pull it down in traffic. Stewart has too. I am a little worried though, in that I haven't seen us really beat man to man coverage. JT is having to thread the needle because we haven't gotten separation much. Maybe we are not finding the wide open guy when he is there. I dunno. I have just gotten used to seeing guys running free in this offense. It hasn't happened as much since the days before 2015.

I agree with the OP. The pass blocking is better. The biggest difference I can see is how locked in the skill guys are blocking with fundamentals and timing and such. The big guys are also transitioning from a run blocking stance to a pass blocking posture better. I have no idea how to coach it, but it looks better.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
Does it appear to anyone that we might have tigthened our splits a little? Maybe that's the reason we're struggling a little more with the option and doing better with the pass protection?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Does it appear to anyone that we might have tigthened our splits a little? Maybe that's the reason we're struggling a little more with the option and doing better with the pass protection?
You know what, that is a good question. I haven't really looked for it. I doubt the splits have changed because it would tip off the defense a pass is coming. Watching the game from the north EZ I can confirm for you the splits were just as wide as normal against Mercer, on the run plays at least. I was looking for that early in the game and then paid no attention after the first series.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know, my first reaction when I was watching the BC game was that we'd tightened the splits up just a hair on every play. I had no way of measuring it, but that's what it looked like to me at least.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know, my first reaction when I was watching the BC game was that we'd tightened the splits up just a hair on every play. I had no way of measuring it, but that's what it looked like to me at least.
I wasn't there and it is hard to judge from the tv sideline view. I luuuuuvvv my EZ seats at Bobby Dodd.

ibleedgoldnwhite

Georgia Tech Fan
I think we know we can do it if we have to, and have deliberately worked on the run game as much as possible. I am still hopeful that we run 80-90% of the time vs. Vandy if we can win that way, and come Thursday night vs. Clemson, JeT goes off for a couple hundred 1st half passing yards on national TV!

I was meaning, I wish we would do it more as part of the game plan. I think it would open up so much for us offensively.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
I wasn't there and it is hard to judge from the tv sideline view. I luuuuuvvv my EZ seats at Bobby Dodd.
I wasn't either, but if we did tigthen up our splits on every play, that may help to explain why the b-back dive hasn't been as productive because the interior of the line would be a little more congested and the gcg are having a little more difficulty getting to the second level.

Just a thought. Maybe someone will ask CPJ during the call in show. Not that he'd give them a straight answer.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Thanks to Longest Day's breakdowns, I've discovered that when we aren't running the 3O, our OLine looks incredible. It's only when we run our base offense do we miss assignments. Kind of ironic if you think about it!

And on our TO3 plays A Marshall can really get out there. We have really good OL movement from Bryan, Braun, Marshall, , Klock and Fromayan. Big push comes from Burden and Devine. The OL is coming along fine. By the eighth game I expect our AB playmakers will be Searcy, Cottrell, Lynch, and Green. Willis will get in to block. The obvious BBs will be Mills, M Marshall, and Allen. I wish I knew, besides Jeune, who our WR playmakers will be.

And on our TO3 plays A Marshall can really get out there. We have really good OL movement from Bryan, Braun, Marshall, , Klock and Fromayan. Big push comes from Burden and Devine. The OL is coming along fine. By the eighth game I expect our AB playmakers will be Searcy, Cottrell, Lynch, and Green. Willis will get in to block. The obvious BBs will be Mills, M Marshall, and Allen. I wish I knew, besides Jeune, who our WR playmakers will be.
I think in time that MLD will be. He made a terrific catch Saturday and threw some good blocks too.