One Player I Hope Coach Collins Embraces: Justin Thomas

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow

It has been awesome to see Calvin Johnson back on the Flats in spring practices and included in hype videos. These videos are incredible marketing outlets for future recruits. I know that we are trying to distance ourselves from the option, but I feel like Justin Thomas should be included in this Tech "revival".

Some of my favorite Tech moments were from Justin, especially in the Orange Bowl vs. Dak (Collins' former team).

If you watch the second video, Justin gave up his dream school to play for us. We have to give him more credit - credit that I don't think we gave him enough of when he committed and played for us.

So, what say you?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure he is welcome as a legend of the flats, for sure. The focus so far has been trying to get the guys who haven't been around GT in a long time. Maybe we will see him around now that the AAF is no more.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I have great respect for the young man.

I have spoken to him twice. The first time was when my son graduated from Tech. It was December, we were leaving The Tit the same time the team was ending practice at Rose Bowl. We were interspersed with the team and stopped walking at a crosswalk. I said to the player next to me as we waited to cross, "Are ya'll gonna win the bowl game?" The player said something like, "yea, you bet" as he turned and looked at me. He quickly rephrased it as "Yes Sir" as he saw someone dressed in a coat and tie standing next to him and not just another student. I recall thinking what a respectful young man, his parents raised him right. It was his freshman year and I think I asked if he was going to get any playing time or something like that.

The other time was a couple of weeks ago. The Atlanta Legend uses the gym where I go. JT was there and I went up and introduced myself, and I think I had on some Tech paraphernalia, and had quite a nice conversation as we discussed some of the finer points of "the mesh" and option reads.

Great young man and I wish him all the best.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
A couple of thoughts:

1) Justin Thomas is going to always be remembered as one of the great GT football players to ever suit up in the white and gold (and blue). Period! We could not have asked any more from the young man. He represented us with class and dignity both on and off the field and he will always be one of my favorite GT players.

2) I am sure he is welcomed here with open arms no matter how much the program might want to distance itself from the option. EVERYTHING this coaching staff has done indicates that not only is he welcome here but that they would LOVE for him to be around this program. Of course I think that applies to pretty much every former GT player. But I have to believe they would be thrilled for him to come and hang out.

buzzmaniac

Georgia Tech Fan
Since 1960, there have been 5 starting QBs who can claim at least 2 victories over the Mutts. Thomas is one of them. The others....Lothridge, Dewberry, Jones, and Hamilton. Collins made a point to make contact with Shaq during the recent Super Bowl practices, I'm sure he'd welcome Justin as well.

GT_receivers

Jolly Good Fellow
Since 1960, there have been 5 starting QBs who can claim at least 2 victories over the Mutts. Thomas is one of them. The others....Lothridge, Dewberry, Jones, and Hamilton. Collins made a point to make contact with Shaq during the recent Super Bowl practices, I'm sure he'd welcome Justin as well.
Also, he had a winning record as a starter against ugag (2-1)

DeepSnap

GT Athlete

You left out Jack Williams in 1969 (6-0) & 1970 (17-7).

For 1970, the Media Guide shows Eddie McAshan as the starting QB for that season, but Jack started & threw a coupla TD passes in the Georgia game, one to Mike Wysong & the other to Larry Studdard.

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure most if not all former players are welcomed back here and have been.

From a marketing standpoint he isn't going to be used in the same way as Johnson, not because of option vs not option, but because one is arguably the best WR in NFL history with recognition that extends over the entire country where the other is a guy who will mostly be recognized by people who are already GT fans. In terms of luring in recruits, Thomas just doesn't have much of a role. We aren't going to really point to him as an example of what we now want or expect our QBs to be, and for other positions it would make more sense to highlight others.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
i mean he was invited. Its his call if he can or wants to attend. I don't think Collins treats any one any different nor favors anyone more, other than maybe a guy like Calvin who can help with the show in front of recruits....

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

It has been awesome to see Calvin Johnson back on the Flats in spring practices and included in hype videos. These videos are incredible marketing outlets for future recruits. I know that we are trying to distance ourselves from the option, but I feel like Justin Thomas should be included in this Tech "revival".

Some of my favorite Tech moments were from Justin, especially in the Orange Bowl vs. Dak (Collins' former team).

If you watch the second video, Justin gave up his dream school to play for us. We have to give him more credit - credit that I don't think we gave him enough of when he committed and played for us.

So, what say you?

I think CGC does / will embrace every former player. Most seem to embrace him as well which is good. Many didn’t seem to previously and I have little idea why.

GTFLETCH

Banned
A couple of thoughts:

1) Justin Thomas is going to always be remembered as one of the great GT football players to ever suit up in the white and gold (and blue). Period! We could not have asked any more from the young man. He represented us with class and dignity both on and off the field and he will always be one of my favorite GT players.

2) I am sure he is welcomed here with open arms no matter how much the program might want to distance itself from the option. EVERYTHING this coaching staff has done indicates that not only is he welcome here but that they would LOVE for him to be around this program. Of course I think that applies to pretty much every former GT player. But I have to believe they would be thrilled for him to come and hang out.
Spot On!!! Also he has been trying to make a Pro Team... Calvin is retired..... So at this point we may not see JT5 on the flats as much!!

buzzmaniac

Georgia Tech Fan
You left out Jack Williams in 1969 (6-0) & 1970 (17-7).

For 1970, the Media Guide shows Eddie McAshan as the starting QB for that season, but Jack started & threw a coupla TD passes in the Georgia game, one to Mike Wysong & the other to Larry Studdard.
Yep, you're right. I thought about it a little, but not hard enough. Fortunate to have been at both of them. Regardless, being 1 of only 6 QBs over almost a 60 year period is pretty special.