One of my long held offensive thoughts in question now

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have always thought that against really good defenses we would have to be able to complete some passes to be effective. But most of the last two games we ran up and down the field all day long without even the threat of a pass. With CJ at B, Justin, and Snoddy as the featured A back, with all but one lineman coming back and a good replacement in Devine, I am less worried about who steps up at receiver.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
I too was surprised as to how well we were able to run the ball on FSU (and UGA). In fact, against FSU, I thought we were scoring too quickly. It took on the flavor of the 2009 game all over again. We would run down the field, score, and give the ball back to FSU.

We have a really good line and a QB that makes good reads. I always liked our offense, but have a new appreciation for it with this team.

dcyellowjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
With the way the offensive line has been playing, I think we could continue to be successful with very little passing threat. But I do think that if JT continues to improve his footwork the way he has over this season - if he gets to the same comfort level rolling out and in play-action as he showed last night in straight drop-backs - we could have a remorseless unstoppable juggernaut of an offense next season. This year the offense I believe is second only to '99 in the modern history of the Institute. Next year could be significantly better.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
With the way the offensive line has been playing, I think we could continue to be successful with very little passing threat. But I do think that if JT continues to improve his footwork the way he has over this season - if he gets to the same comfort level rolling out and in play-action as he showed last night in straight drop-backs - we could have a remorseless unstoppable juggernaut of an offense next season. This year the offense I believe is second only to '99 in the modern history of the Institute. Next year could be significantly better.
We were pretty damned near unstoppable this season. We stopped ourselves with Duke and 2nd half turnovers, but we drove the ball on everyone, even Clemson.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the passing threat there all night. I don't remember too many plays where the safeties weren't 15+ yards back from the LOS. Both uga and FSU played with only 7 in the box most of the time.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
The biggest thing for me is if we can find 3 wr that can block next year and make proper route choices in the pass game, not a slight at Waller he played well last night, and if we can find 2-3 more abacks, beside Andrews and Snoddy, that can block, know who to block and run hard.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just because we didn't pass much doesn't mean the threat wasn't there. We did go the length of the field on our last drive primarily using the pass.

In next few years I hope we mix in more passes to left = ab with a role right but designed or checked to throw left. Watching from down low it was amazing that many times left ab - 12 was wide open on sprint straight down the field . The WR took corner deep and safety. Cheated over. The quick read and the quick pass are already in JT s skill set. Maybe the touch pass needs work.
IMO we have some freshman coming in that can catch passes - but are not experts at blocking got the TO. It would be a win win if we give them pass route option while they are playing and
Learning next year. We should make the safeties respect the pass to open up bb for break out runs. Future nuisances to option are many.

Last edited:

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow
I too was surprised as to how well we were able to run the ball on FSU (and UGA). In fact, against FSU, I thought we were scoring too quickly. It took on the flavor of the 2009 game all over again. We would run down the field, score, and give the ball back to FSU.

We have a really good line and a QB that makes good reads. I always liked our offense, but have a new appreciation for it with this team.

There's no reason for us to pass as long the opposing defense is respecting our ability to do so. FSU played mostly 7 guys in the box. I think one drive they drive the 4-4 on the line and one high safety look.

I like our passing game. But FSU was playing prevent defense on that drive.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That miscommunication between Waller and JT was a bit of psychological baiting. Not sure what the outcome was suppose to be, but the FSU DB was playing for the back shoulder throw he's probably seen on tape from us all season.

If JT and Waller were on the same page, Waller walks into the endzone. The FSU DB was sitting on the back shoulder throw.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I agree with all above and I have long favored a run heavy O. But

I do think that the reason we lost last night was because Smelter wasn't on the field. On two of FSUs stops in the second half, we would have thrown to Smelter on 3rd and long. And he would have caught the throws, just like he did all year. Now, I think Waller would have caught them too and I was nonplused to see that we didn't give him a chance against their secondary. The last drive showed what he could have done the shoe game and I expect that Coach will be working to get that combo into second nature for both JT and Waller in preparation for the bowl game. I also think that part of the equation here is JTs inexperience; no way he throws to a spot when his WR has improvised himself into a clear TD next year.

So, yes, run the ball first and foremost. And, yes, get the passing game up to snuff for the bowl and next year.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I actually think the opposite. Missing in more passing would make the running game even more nasty. The second half we got stopped twice due to a lack of synergy between JT & Waller. Waller probably could have done what he wanted with that one on one match up. JT has to develop more trust in all the WR and pass when they appear covered as well. We also need to pass when the running game is moving to develop that chemistry on the field for it was two series too late for it to happen in the forth.
I like that JT doesnt force the pass, but he also has to trust his wr more. Passing got us with 2 in less than 60 sec. The goal is to out score your opponent not just eat up the clock.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
I actually think the opposite. Missing in more passing would make the running game even more nasty. The second half we got stopped twice due to a lack of synergy between JT & Waller. Waller probably could have done what he wanted with that one on one match up. JT has to develop more trust in all the WR and pass when they appear covered as well. We also need to pass when the running game is moving to develop that chemistry on the field for it was two series too late for it to happen in the forth.
I like that JT doesnt force the pass, but he also has to trust his wr more. Passing got us with 2 in less than 60 sec. The goal is to out score your opponent not just eat up the clock.
Except eating up the clock was a strategy we employed this year and it served us well.

dcyellowjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't think we need to pass more. I just strongly believe based on what we've seen from JT this year that he will continue to improve in passing efficiency. That's what will make us even more deadly.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
It doesn't guarentee a victory. We ate up the clock against FSU too. There are more than one way.
We ate up the clock because our lack of depth on the defensive line. Running more plays and scoring quicker does not help our defense nor our team. It just would give us more total stats, which seems to be the only thing you care about, and loses.