One more thing to love about Georgia Tech

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
is it's originality in off season entertainment. While other schools are dealing with minor issues like stealing, rapes, drug busts, guns crime, academic fraud, assaults, armed robbery, and the like, we have to deal with bad grades in actual classes, low level staff dismissals, a qb leaving because he tried to run our offense and couldn't, and some deciding they might use their talents better elsewhere. What must the neighbors think?

I have a family member that is only happy when she is miserable. For years, most of our phone conversations began with, "You won't believe the mess we have around here now!" Then she went on to detail some dire situation such as someone opening a store nearby that she didn't like, an elderly distant cousin being diagnosed with an age related disease, leaking gutters, some controversy in the choir at church, whatever. She has lived well into her 80's, so the crises turned out not to be life threatening. Since she comes from a long line of Georgia natives, I can only assume there is something in the gene pool that she shares with most Georgia Tech alums that is somehow connected to and magnified by math ability. In engineering, it essential even paramount, to find problems and obsess over them. In life, it is not so attractive. In relationships with other people, it is death to take that approach which may be why we engineers are widely viewed as anti-social.

Look at it this way. Usually in Spring Practice, we have two or three season ending injuries. Our season ending injuries just happened to happen before and after Spring Practice.

Can you think of a harder job than taking a bunch of high testosterone males in their late teens from all over the South, bringing them to the largest city in the South, educating them in the most rigorous STEM classes in the South, being governed by an Administration that cares less for football than any other administration in the South, being covered by a hostile and prejudiced media, all while trying to train them to use their athletic abilities to defeat other athletes with more ability that are enrolled in colleges with less distractions of location and academics? It would take a couple of million each year to get me to take that on. This too will pass. Other young men will step up to fill the gap. Some that we have overlooked will turn into stars.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
is it's originality in off season entertainment. While other schools are dealing with minor issues like stealing, rapes, drug busts, guns crime, academic fraud, assaults, armed robbery, and the like, we have to deal with bad grades in actual classes, low level staff dismissals, a qb leaving because he tried to run our offense and couldn't, and some deciding they might use their talents better elsewhere. What must the neighbors think?

I have a family member that is only happy when she is miserable. For years, most of our phone conversations began with, "You won't believe the mess we have around here now!" Then she went on to detail some dire situation such as someone opening a store nearby that she didn't like, an elderly distant cousin being diagnosed with an age related disease, leaking gutters, some controversy in the choir at church, whatever. She has lived well into her 80's, so the crises turned out not to be life threatening. Since she comes from a long line of Georgia natives, I can only assume there is something in the gene pool that she shares with most Georgia Tech alums that is somehow connected to and magnified by math ability. In engineering, it essential even paramount, to find problems and obsess over them. In life, it is not so attractive. In relationships with other people, it is death to take that approach which may be why we engineers are widely viewed as anti-social.

Look at it this way. Usually in Spring Practice, we have two or three season ending injuries. Our season ending injuries just happened to happen before and after Spring Practice.

Can you think of a harder job than taking a bunch of high testosterone males in their late teens from all over the South, bringing them to the largest city in the South, educating them in the most rigorous STEM classes in the South, being governed by an Administration that cares less for football than any other administration in the South, being covered by a hostile and prejudiced media, all while trying to train them to use their athletic abilities to defeat other athletes with more ability that are enrolled in colleges with less distractions of location and academics? It would take a couple of million each year to get me to take that on. This too will pass. Other young men will step up to fill the gap. Some that we have overlooked will turn into stars.
Helluva post.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
You left out the ability to of GT folks to manufacture huge excuses from the tiniest sliver of fact.

"I got a D in statics because Prof ___________ gives low grades. But hey, I passed!"

Then it translates to football. "Our football team is bad because our academics are so much better than everyone else's." We are worse because we are better than the others--yeah, that's it!!

Sounds so much better than saying the GT athletic administration has sucked since Homer retired and Kim King died.

Excuses--much better than working hard to improve.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
You left out the ability to of GT folks to manufacture huge excuses from the tiniest sliver of fact.

"I got a D in statics because Prof ___________ gives low grades. But hey, I passed!"

Then it translates to football. "Our football team is bad because our academics are so much better than everyone else's." We are worse because we are better than the others--yeah, that's it!!

Sounds so much better than saying the GT athletic administration has sucked since Homer retired and Kim King died.

Excuses--much better than working hard to improve.

You know, I'm not a Tech man but a lifelong fan and would love to reply to this but it ain't worth it except to say, bull feces.

Buzz1965

Georgia Tech Fan
I love when I see that Gold and White come out from the tunnel behind the ramblinwreck and the band playing.. Just love those fall afternoons