On, Leggett: Eric, do you think....

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
So Connors is now #2 and Days is the emergency BB, I suppose?
Though I imagine that if ZL were actually injured, Days would be the true #2. Sort of like Ant and Dwyer a few years ago.

I've always thought Connors was a decent player. He's got a good feel for the crease.

What's interesting to me is this coming spring. We will have one scholarship BB: Leggett. Behind him, we'll have Ryan Braswell and Justin Bryan. Snoddy will presumably be needed at AB, so he won't rep at BB.

Could anyone else move to BB? Or will we just pray that no one gets hurt, so that we can have a spring game?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If Leggett was better (right now) than Laskey.... I think coach would burn the shirt and he'd get the majority of snaps. The projection of 8 plays or less per game probably indicates he hasn't mastered all of the bback responsibilities / playbook. Doesn't mean he won't ball out. And outside of the QB spot...I think game reps for rookies is over valued.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
@stylee

Days could still get snaps at B Back...but likely it will be Connors now.

As far as next Spring, we are going to take another B back this year that will enroll early.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
@stylee

As far as next Spring, we are going to take another B back this year that will enroll early.

Ah, okay. So Leggett is White Team, whoever the early enrollee is is Gold Team, with Bryan and and Braswell backing them up.

I guess that also means that we could have 3 BBs in the same class: MLD, Leggett, and Early Enrollee. Maybe we redshirt Early Enrollee though.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
i think he is just even right now with the concept of leaving day's as a tweener and using matt connors in spots. Leggett is a better runner than connors, but connors is more than capable of spelling laskey in certain situations, like rocket tosses, pass blocking etc (ie when he doesnt' get the ball...no dropoff then). And you can still use days on the perimeter in these situations etc...so...paul can manage it. With all the AB he has, he has too. Perkins is blocking well...between perkins, days, laskey, and all the other AB's you can create a good rotation without having cj. Put in days at BB, perkins at AB and another AB...and you are fine...just use that personnel grouping more often than you did!!!
I think it would be fun to see a wild cat formation with JT5, Tim B, S Days and C Perkins 3 passers, 4 runners and 2 if not 3 blockers. Maybe even switch roles of TB and JT on occasion. I Know, if it really worked, Coach is a genius, if not fire him.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I dont understand why we'd have to limit Leggett to 8 carries.
I dont understand why Synjyn didnt get more snaps at bback.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
next year really thin at BB, AB and WR with experience...really thin. Hopeful a more experienced QB and OL can make up for it....

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
While I certainly understand the reason for redshirts, with the number of kids that don't even make it to their SO or JR years (due to suspension, academics, etc.) I wouldn't mind seeing us burn some reds even if it means playing a guy only a few plays a game.

ETA: Heck maybe playing some of these FR will help them focus on akademiks more as times get tougher.

I think this past year's attrition is unusual. IIrc, 80 or 90% of guys redshirted in CPJ's 1st two full recruiting classes (2009, 2010) played or are playing as RS Srs (2013, 2014).

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think this past year's attrition is unusual. IIrc, 80 or 90% of guys redshirted in CPJ's 1st two full recruiting classes (2009, 2010) played or are playing as RS Srs (2013, 2014).

What do you want me to trust, your factual info or my hair-brained kneejerk reaction? ;)