On, Leggett: Eric, do you think....

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Pretty ballsy for the staff to give him the opportunity this deep into the season. Just not meant to be this year for him to play unless there are too many injuries to overcome by the current BBack corp.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Look fellas, he was given a chance this week and didn't make the cut. But I guess it's coach's fault. Contrary to popular opinion, coach doesn't like to lose.

So next year when we loose 7 5th year seniors at bb and ab , the standards we use will change?
I want to win today too.We should consider winning next year a little more. Next year if we do well against ND And FSU it will advance the program tremendously - the opposite is true as well. We need as much experience as possible next year.

Also - letting him play will send a positive message to the 2015 ab and bb recruits = don't be induced to de commit for promises of playing time elsewhere - we are planning on figuring away for you to play next year!

Let's swarm !

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
So next year when we loose 7 5th year seniors at bb and ab , the standards we use will change?
I want to win today too.We should consider winning next year a little more. Next year if we do well against ND And FSU it will advance the program tremendously - the opposite is true as well. We need as much experience as possible next year.

Also - letting him play will send a positive message to the 2015 ab and bb recruits = don't be induced to de commit for promises of playing time elsewhere - we are planning on figuring away for you to play next year!

Let's swarm !

Looks like he hasn't earned the right to play. This isn't a every guy gets a trophy league. Reality sucks and that reality is Connors gives us a better chance to win. This is from PJ who sees these guys every day.

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow

Let's swarm !

I mean do you want to lose a game because he fumbles, or because he doesn't block the right defender who then blind sides JT? He'll play when he's ready.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Let's swarm !
Obviously coach thinks playing Legitt doesn't help the team. We have a chance at a special season this year. If a guy is more of a potential liability than an asset it would be foolish to play him. That goes for any player, not just redshirts.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
What exact series or situation do you pencil in the true freshman to get plays at a critical ball handling position?

We have rarely had a possession this year where we were even two scores up on an opponent. In fact, I suspect we have not had ten possessions where we had a three score lead all year. So where are the opportunities to get loads of skill position freshmen game experience? The staff has already played as many or more freshmen than every other season.

College coaches rate "experience for next year" very low on their list of reasons for making any in-game personnel decisions as they should. We really only care about a win or a loss each and every week.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
What exact series or situation do you pencil in the true freshman to get plays at a critical ball handling position?

We have rarely had a possession this year where we were even two scores up on an opponent. In fact, I suspect we have not had ten possessions where we had a three score lead all year. So where are the opportunities to get loads of skill position freshmen game experience? The staff has already played as many or more freshmen than every other season.

College coaches rate "experience for next year" very low on their list of reasons for making any in-game personnel decisions as they should. We really only care about a win or a loss each and every week.

and it doesn't get said any better that this....THANK YOU!

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
We need to keep dancin' with who brung us, if ya know what I mean.

I turned on the second half of the duke game the other night, which I hadn't seen, and saw laskey fumble and instantly decided I didn't need to watch. A guy that hasn't fumbled in his career and finally does was enough proof to me that it just wasn't our day. It's in the dvr but I'm going to wait to watch until I'm in a better mood. I've seen some clips that sickened me.

Anyways, I hope our guys bounce back and I'll support them either way.

GO JACKETS!

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure.

Could hear today.

Fwiw, I hear he's likely to play.
I'm hearing the opposite. Don't think he's going to waste his redshirt.

Edited: should have read the rest of the thread. Apparently, it's on AJC and a couple of other places now, too.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Obviously coach thinks playing Legitt doesn't help the team. We have a chance at a special season this year. If a guy is more of a potential liability than an asset it would be foolish to play him. That goes for any player, not just redshirts.

i think he is just even right now with the concept of leaving day's as a tweener and using matt connors in spots. Leggett is a better runner than connors, but connors is more than capable of spelling laskey in certain situations, like rocket tosses, pass blocking etc (ie when he doesnt' get the ball...no dropoff then). And you can still use days on the perimeter in these situations etc...so...paul can manage it. With all the AB he has, he has too. Perkins is blocking well...between perkins, days, laskey, and all the other AB's you can create a good rotation without having cj. Put in days at BB, perkins at AB and another AB...and you are fine...just use that personnel grouping more often than you did!!!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
While I certainly understand the reason for redshirts, with the number of kids that don't even make it to their SO or JR years (due to suspension, academics, etc.) I wouldn't mind seeing us burn some reds even if it means playing a guy only a few plays a game.

ETA: Heck maybe playing some of these FR will help them focus on akademiks more as times get tougher.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
While I certainly understand the reason for redshirts, with the number of kids that don't even make it to their SO or JR years (due to suspension, academics, etc.) I wouldn't mind seeing us burn some reds even if it means playing a guy only a few plays a game.

ETA: Heck maybe playing some of these FR will help them focus on akademiks more as times get tougher.
It's hard to have an opinion on this when we're not at practice. What if he's bumbling around, not knowing what hole to hit, who to block, coughing up the ball? Maybe he's just not ready and if we throw him in there he'll cost us a game? Our O ain't the easiest in the world to learn and perfect. It requires precision and timing as well as knowing where to go. I'll defer to the coaches on this one.

hdgtfan

Georgia Tech Fan
Look fellas, he was given a chance this week and didn't make the cut. But I guess it's coach's fault. Contrary to popular opinion, coach doesn't like to lose.

Cheese

Agree with you, but am disappointed and a bit scared about next year's starter at BB (him or a rookie) with zero game experience and a tough schedule, yikes!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
FWIW my complaint about not playing Leggett is because CPJ made it sound like he just didn’t want to play him because he didn’t want to waste his redshirt for a couple of plays every game. He made no mention of Leggett not picking up the playbook very well at all.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It's hard to have an opinion on this when we're not at practice. What if he's bumbling around, not knowing what hole to hit, who to block, coughing up the ball? Maybe he's just not ready and if we throw him in there he'll cost us a game? Our O ain't the easiest in the world to learn and perfect. It requires precision and timing as well as knowing where to go. I'll defer to the coaches on this one.

True but if all that were true he wouldn't even have been in consideration for time, no?

I was really making a general statement though. I see a lot of other places not afraid to throw a tFr in there. We seem to be heading that way with all the guys who are playing this year so it's nice to see.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
What caused PJ to consider him now? maybe I missed something

btw-what happened to the Searcy experiment at DB?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
@alaguy

Wants Synjyn at A Back almost all the time.

Searcy wasn't ready to contribute contribute right away...didnt want to waste the redshirt.