O'Leary may step down this year

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
@JFowlerCBS: Tried to press O’Leary on whether this is last year. Wouldn’t go there, said doesn’t want to be coaching at 72 (turns 68 in a week)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
O'Leary was/is a great coach - the best we have had since Bobby Dodd. http://gtswarm.com/threads/70-years-of-gt-football-–-comparing-teams-under-different-coaches.2501/

I really wish that we had found a way to get him back after the Notre Dame fiasco.
I liked him as a coach but had mixed feelings about the way he left Tech. The persistent rumors are that he left a nightmare of NCAA issues for Tech to clean up and he certainly could not have kept up with the current demands of academic progress requirements. Too many reasons why Tech would not have wanted him back, not the least of which was the apparent carelessness in reviewing a resume.

I was surprised to see in your graph that the power rankings for teams under O'Leary, Gailey and Johnson were virtually identical.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I liked him as a coach but had mixed feelings about the way he left Tech. The persistent rumors are that he left a nightmare of NCAA issues for Tech to clean up and he certainly could not have kept up with the current demands of academic progress requirements. Too many reasons why Tech would not have wanted him back, not the least of which was the apparent carelessness in reviewing a resume.

I was surprised to see in your graph that the power rankings for teams under O'Leary, Gailey and Johnson were virtually identical.

We can't know for sure how O'Leary would have done; only that he did better than the others. I think he would have adapted as required. While O'Leary had only a slightly higher power ranking, his winning % and average team ranking were a good bit better. But those are only averages, Ross who won an NC was lower on all counts based on averaging.

I understand the "lying"/"carelessness" on the resume being a problem. But for what he was going to do at ND, the resume was only a formality. So I think it really was immaterial except from the appearance aspect. (To get to the top, you have to be good and lucky; his luck ran out.) Everyone knew his record. It seems that GT has had many NCAA issues under many different coaches. That is a different subject :notworthy:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We can't know for sure how O'Leary would have done; only that he did better than the others. I think he would have adapted as required. While O'Leary had only a slightly higher power ranking, his winning % and average team ranking were a good bit better. But those are only averages, Ross who won an NC was lower on all counts based on averaging.

I understand the "lying"/"carelessness" on the resume being a problem. But for what he was going to do at ND, the resume was only a formality. So I think it really was immaterial except from the appearance aspect. (To get to the top, you have to be good and lucky; his luck ran out.) Everyone knew his record. It seems that GT has had many NCAA issues under many different coaches. That is a different subject :notworthy:
But, to be clear, I was happy for him to recover from that episode and get back to a head coaching position. He is a very good coach.