OL Competition: Players 5 through 11

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
If we are looking for the best 5 O linemen we are only looking for one more than these four: Chamberlain, Braun, Burden, and Joe. Competition is among Marshall, Fromayan, Devine, Brown, Klock, Bryan, and outside shot Stickler.

If Devine or Brown are in the top 2 of the 7 in competition for that spot, or 3rd but close to the top I believe the line is status quo with Devine or Brown at RG. IMO this is the most likely outcome.
If Devine and Brown are well below the top:
If Marshall is at the top there is the chance of moving Burden to RG and Marshall to C
If Fromayan is at the top there is the move of Braun to RG and Fromayan and Devine at LG
If at least two of Klock, Bryan, and Stickler are in the top three there is the chance of moving Chamberlain to LG and Braun to RG. IMO this move is the least likely unless BOTH Klock and Bryan are looking really strong.

I am confident the coaches will have enough time and work before toe meets leather to sort this out. It is really a good situation to ponder, as we have the bodies and talent. Coaches may try all those options out for optimum versatility and hedge for injury. Any other likely options?

Really looking forward to watching this OL perform.

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
Marshall played well last year when pressed for depth reasons, but I can't see any way that we go with him for the whole season as the starter. He's still very undersized compared to Burden's athleticism and size at that position. I think we continue to use Marshall for depth at center.
I think we see something similar to last year with a real rotation going 2 deep at every spot across the line and Brown and Devine will be 1A and 1B at the other guard spot to minimize shaking up the 4 you have listed.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
What I haven been disappointed in is how much we heard that Brown was doing good and then come spring/post-spring I have seen on the boards is that he is still raw and hasn't "gotten it yet". I though Shamire played very well at time so I expect him to be in the top 5.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
So who is our best offensive lineman this year? I say it's Freddie Burden. I don't know much about this game but last year I was very impressed by him. Proceed to argue...

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
It's hard to argue against Freddie Burden who stepped right in as the starting center coming off a knee injury and was solid all season long dominating some very good DT's from Clemson, UGA, and MSU.

But what is even more impressive is that Burden played RG during the spring after breaking his thumb which IIRC required surgery. Since he couldn't snap the football the training staff wrapped up his right hand in a padded club and he excelled at RG during spring football.

Now THAT is off the chart LEADERSHIP and TOUGHNESS!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
It's hard to argue against Freddie Burden who stepped right in as the starting center coming off a knee injury and was solid all season long dominating some very good DT's from Clemson, UGA, and MSU.

But what is even more impressive is that Burden played RG during the spring after breaking his thumb which IIRC required surgery. Since he couldn't snap the football the training staff wrapped up his right hand in a padded club and he excelled at RG during spring football.

Now THAT is off the chart LEADERSHIP and TOUGHNESS!

Agree with Burden. Chamberlain, Braun, and Joe not far behind. Got a chance to talk with Burden at the CFHOF the other night. He is a polite, personable, smart young man looking to graduate in Dec or possibly May.

thwgjacket

If we are looking for the best 5 O linemen we are only looking for one more than these four: Chamberlain, Braun, Burden, and Joe. Competition is among Marshall, Fromayan, Devine, Brown, Klock, Bryan, and outside shot Stickler.

If Devine or Brown are in the top 2 of the 7 in competition for that spot, or 3rd but close to the top I believe the line is status quo with Devine or Brown at RG. IMO this is the most likely outcome.
If Devine and Brown are well below the top:
If Marshall is at the top there is the chance of moving Burden to RG and Marshall to C
If Fromayan is at the top there is the move of Braun to RG and Fromayan and Devine at LG
If at least two of Klock, Bryan, and Stickler are in the top three there is the chance of moving Chamberlain to LG and Braun to RG. IMO this move is the least likely unless BOTH Klock and Bryan are looking really strong.

I am confident the coaches will have enough time and work before toe meets leather to sort this out. It is really a good situation to ponder, as we have the bodies and talent. Coaches may try all those options out for optimum versatility and hedge for injury. Any other likely options?

Really looking forward to watching this OL perform.
Where is all this "if Devine" stuff coming from? You're not the only one who keeps questioning where he is in the OL competition. He's listed as the starter on the post-spring depth chart. It's not a depth chart people just made up, it was released by our coaching staff.
http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/ge...all-official-post-spring-depth-chart-released

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Where is all this "if Devine" stuff coming from? You're not the only one who keeps questioning where he is in the OL competition. He's listed as the starter on the post-spring depth chart. It's not a depth chart people just made up, it was released by our coaching staff.
http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/ge...all-official-post-spring-depth-chart-released

I clearly stated that I thought Devine/Brown would hold on to the RG position. The "if" has to do with Devine's stamina in the heat in August/September where his track record is an "if". The post Spring Game depth chart is a snap shot in time, does not account for injuries/player development/freshmen in Fall Camp. A lot changes between 15 May and 3 September will take place and the depth chart will get revised as appropriate by the coaches. Even though I believe Devine is the front runner for the start at RG, he has to prove himself against good competition in the next 5 weeks, in the heat. I do not think anyone doubts his talent in short spurts in cooler weather.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There are always so many good storylines heading into fall camp, with position battles and so forth. The OL is one of those. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. The one thing we have going for us right now is continuity. We have one huge pair of shoes to fill and plenty of options for which to do it. I would think the priority in the coaches' minds would be to leave the 2014 version intact as much as possible, making just the single replacement at RG. If that is possible, with Devine or whoever else, that is the best case, the way I see it. The kids performed wonderfully together last year. Just imagine what is possible with ANOTHER full season working together and polishing the stone.

Of all the scenarios I have heard, I have to say, I prefer the ones that leave Braun starting at LG. We need a huge bruiser who routinely pushes people around at RG. Braun is by far better pulling than Devine, so he will end up right quite a bit anyway.

Burden might be able to play well at guard, but we was SOOO GOOD last year at C that I am afraid to move him.

In any case, it will be hard to replicate Mason's impact at RG. We just have to hope that the sum of the parts elevates enough to make his loss irrelevant.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I hope Shamire is ready to play 2/3rds of the time. If he is, he starts. He's a quick on his feet as Shaq was and he's (I hope) 40 lbs heavier. I think his only problem has always been flexibility. Let's hope he's working on that; his talent is literally off the charts.

If he isn't, then it's RG by committee with Brown. I don't think Coach will move Braun unless he absolutely has to.

And, yes, Old One, I sure do hope we don't get a lot of injuries. We have the depth to take care of that now, but there's a reason why they call them starters.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It has crossed my mind that if Devine starts - we could run more drive plays and less pulling guard. Not that Devine can't pull, he can. And also not that this would be a huge change. As the season wore on last year, against UGA and MSU, the drive blocking with Bback off tackle became our best play. Devine isa big man. I think CPJ would consider that tweak and of course we would still cross them up with some counters and pulling guards.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I just watched ESPNU's replay of the ACCCG. Shamire was an absolute BEAST that game...I mean he was literally erasing guys from the play...and I will say he looked just as good if not better than Shaq Mason on some of the drives. We're talking about FSU and their 4/5 star DLs and LBs.

Barring injury, Devine is our RG...that has become a mythical OL position for CPJ's OLs. Our best OL will play RG. Physically, Devine is in a class of his own compared to the other guys on our roster, and I would say it's true compared to any OL during CPJ's tenure...and that includes Uzzi, Mason, Cord Howard, and Andrew Gardner. Even if he's not in ideal shape, you can't keep someone of his talent off the field. I have a feeling the staff is going to give him some tough love this year. They're going to leave him on the field until he either pukes and they have to carry him off, or he plays himself into shape.

For some reason it's become cool on GT boards to make declarations such as Devine losing his spot to the next practice squad legend (in this case Gary Brown), but the reality is, Devine is a once in a generation talent for GT...and that includes guys that played other positions. He was a redshirt freshmen last year, so let's not make a big deal out of the fact he didn't beat out guys that have been in the program 3-4 years. Devine's time is now...and, barring injuries or off the field issues, I don't see him losing a starting spot to anyone during the rest of his eligibility.

thwgjacket

I clearly stated that I thought Devine/Brown would hold on to the RG position. The "if" has to do with Devine's stamina in the heat in August/September where his track record is an "if". The post Spring Game depth chart is a snap shot in time, does not account for injuries/player development/freshmen in Fall Camp. A lot changes between 15 May and 3 September will take place and the depth chart will get revised as appropriate by the coaches. Even though I believe Devine is the front runner for the start at RG, he has to prove himself against good competition in the next 5 weeks, in the heat. I do not think anyone doubts his talent in short spurts in cooler weather.
We don't play a game in August. The average temperature in Atlanta for September is in the 70's, so room temperature. The other two games are in Indiana and Durham, NC. What heat? It's not like we're playing September games in south Florida.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We don't play a game in August. The average temperature in Atlanta for September is in the 70's, so room temperature. The other two games are in Indiana and Durham, NC. What heat? It's not like we're playing September games in south Florida.

There will likely be a scrimmage on Aug 15 or 22 when we can see for ourselves how Devine is progressing. Hope he is where we all wish him to be. (However, it is wishful thinking that those daylight Sept games are played in 70 degrees.)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There will likely be a scrimmage on Aug 15 or 22 when we can see for ourselves how Devine is progressing. Hope he is where we all wish him to be. (However, it is wishful thinking that those daylight Sept games are played in 70 degrees.)

I will tell you from sitting in the stands at BDS for as long as I can remember, the first quarter of the season is blazing hot. I can only imagine what it feels like for guys the size of linemen wearing 30+ lbs of gear...then having to run around with all that body and equipment weight.

Then again, Fall Camp when they do more running and have less breaks is good preparation for those hot game days.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
Freddy Burden is the ideal center for CPJ's offense IMO. What Burden + Shaq did against UGA, FSU, and Miss St. was beautiful to watch. I haven't seen Marshall play. CPJ seems high on him, played as a true fresh, and he was highly touted out of HS. I do recall a trainer (?) or someone mentioning he looked awfully slim this spring...any updates?

Losing Chris Griffin for the season really bites. I would have loved the flexibility of having Chris and Joe at tackle and bump Chamberlin inside. I won't dwell on the negatives, glad we have depth, albeit inexperienced. I'm looking forward to seeing Klock, Stickler, and perhaps Bryan get some reps.

At guard, Techster summed it up perfectly. Devine absolutely dominated in the FSU game - and most of the reps I saw him play last season. I do remember one awful play where he pulled and looked completely lost and uncoordinated. But 95% he was like Hurricane Katrina's storm surge, making the DT disappear. Conditioning is a huge factor + CPJ regularly rotates in a 3rd guard, correct? If so, I'm slightly concerned. Gary Brown stepping up would alleviate that concern. Any word on Fromayan?

anyone else read KS article in the AJC today quoting CPJ as saying Joe was the 2nd best linemen behind Shaq by the end of the season? interesting quote, seems relevant to this post.

thwgjacket

I don't want to turn this into a weather.com debate but the only game where it might be above the 70's is Tulane. Alcorn is at night, ND is in Indiana and late September Durham will be a little chilly.