OL blocking change

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know what we did in our blocking scheme change? The halftime field reporter said when she spoke with CPJ at half time he had a twinkle in his eye when he said they changed their blocking scheme to something VT has never seen before. Thought that was very interesting. Did we drive block more? Make things more simple to a more conventional blocking scheme? Whatever it was, it worked.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
See boomers post on Andrew st ... and bb.

Basically the center and right guard double team blocked nt all game .
Moved him back w gave room for bb .
75 went head hunting.
Not sure what the tackles did besides get on some one and push. Sure fooled v t.
Thank you, mods you can move my post if needed.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The change in blocking went w a simplified approach to block and run calls that were rep in practice w young guys.
WE NOW HAVE A SET OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PLAYS THE FRESHMAN QB AND YOUNGER LINE MEN CAN RUN!!.

NOW DEFENSES NEED TO PREPARE.

ALSO IF WE LET THE YOUNG GUYS IN FOR A SERIES IT WOULD BE FUN FOR PLAYERS AND FANS.

COACHING!

We are one step closer to the single wing which could be another arrow in our quiver.

With our skill player already being really good blockers!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We are one step closer to the single wing which could be another arrow in our quiver.

Actually, the QB sweep we were running so much up at VT is a single wing play. We used to run a version of it when I played in college. (Yes, the team I played on ran a single wing.) The only difference is that the QB - it was a TB for us - is under center. We also ran that play with a counter action; it was very effective. Wonder if Coach has that in mind for the future.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Actually, the QB sweep we were running so much up at VT is a single wing play. We used to run a version of it when I played in college. (Yes, the team I played on ran a single wing.) The only difference is that the QB - it was a TB for us - is under center. We also ran that play with a counter action; it was very effective. Wonder if Coach has that in mind for the future.
Did you play at Tennessee back in the day?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Welp, he did until you posted this. Geez, man.

:LOL:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The change in blocking went w a simplified approach to block and run calls that were rep in practice w young guys.
WE NOW HAVE A SET OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PLAYS THE FRESHMAN QB AND YOUNGER LINE MEN CAN RUN!!.

NOW DEFENSES NEED TO PREPARE.

ALSO IF WE LET THE YOUNG GUYS IN FOR A SERIES IT WOULD BE FUN FOR PLAYERS AND FANS.

COACHING!

If we can mix it up on the fly between the two blocking schemes defenses are going to be screwed. I see no reason why Marshall couldn’t occasionally run behind the power run blocking either to really screw with the other team.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If we can mix it up on the fly between the two blocking schemes defenses are going to be screwed. I see no reason why Marshall couldn’t occasionally run behind the power run blocking either to really screw with the other team.
If you look at Longest's film comment on UNC last year, you'll see that the very first play is TaQuon running the QB sweep we ran up at VT. We haven't run it this year (or, at least, that's what people said), but we've done it before.