Okogie and next season

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
CJP has stated multiple times that this season would be toughest in the "major rebuild" of the program. That being said:

1. NBA Draft Room's 2018 Mock has Okogie going in 2nd round (#34th pick). This year's 34th pick, Frank Mason III is making 1.1 million and will make 1.3 million next season.
2. If Okogie leaves along with Lammers and Jackson (who graduates) how in the world will this team improve for next year?

I know it's early to be talking about NBA drafts but I am at the point of looking towards next season with both the Jackets and the Atlanta Hawks!!

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I think had he not gotten injured he might have entered his name in the draft to at least get feed back on what to work on and return for one more year. But the way things are looking so far (to me at least) the program is a mess and it wouldn’t suprise me if he did enter the draft and sign with an agent. Wouldn’t be the best decision, but with everything going on right now he might want to get out. Just my opinion

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I monitor http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft as it has been fairly accurate over the years. Josh hasn't been listed here in a while and I also think his injury may have set him back some with respect to applying for the draft.

That said, he has only played 3 games thus far and it will be a long season. We can probably make a better assessment of his chances once the season is over.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I monitor http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft as it has been fairly accurate over the years. Josh hasn't been listed here in a while and I also think his injury may have set him back some with respect to applying for the draft.

That said, he has only played 3 games thus far and it will be a long season. We can probably make a better assessment of his chances once the season is over.

I like the site you use better - especially with the Hawks getting #1 (although we all know Atlanta will never win the Ping Pong Ball drawing LOL!).

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I would be surprised if JO doesn't put his name in the draft regardless of the injury he has. No reason not to.

On the other side I don't expect him to go with this season as his basis.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
CJP had stated his fourth year was the year to look at things - 'get old, stay old' .... so next years recruits will factor into that and important that he rounds out the positions with players that fit his style.
Last year was an unexpected present - not many thought they would win 10 games total ... this years team is more talented - scores easier but too many turnovers and not as good defensively, but between injuries, suspensions, and such will not achieve what last years team did.

As for Next year -
PG - Alvarado/Phillips - Jose will only get better, Phillips most likely an upgrade for backup, could both play at same time. Not sure what role JMoore plays.
Wings - Okogie (if here, and I think he will be), Haywood (should add more to game and improve), Devoe (should see major minutes, maybe start), Sjouland (will be interesting to see - see huge upside if he can play at pace CJP wants), KMoore/Alston - insurance (don't expect a lot next year).
PF - Wright/Cole - expect to see improvement in both ... Sjouland could see minutes there if they do not produce.
Center - AD/Ognanda - could be solid but not at level Lammers played ..... I do expect they will look hard for grad transfer that can step in and play the posts for a year ... with huge focus on signing bigs in next recruiting class.
In the college game - you can afford to have one position that is not a huge threat to score as long as you have 4 threats on the floor at once .... can afford two IF you have 3 NBA talent level scorers out there (i.e.

I would not be surprised if Okogie tests the NBA waters (declare, do not sign) ... but see high odds he is at GT one more year.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
Go watch tech play! Okogie is not a nba player at all today and probably not after next year either.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
Why does that make me a troll for? This forum is saying he may test the waters. I just don’t see it. Unsure why that makes me a troll for?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Why does that make me a troll for? This forum is saying he may test the waters. I just don’t see it. Unsure why that makes me a troll for?
Almost the entirety of your posts since your arrival have been chiming in on the negative. Little to no contribution to the conversation other than sky is falling questions & comments.

You've been consistent in that.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
Your right. I will work to be better. I think I probably care more than I should. Had higher expectations and it’s just been a tough start.

I have been to every game and was so excited for the season. Just bumped out to be honest but I appreciate the feedback as I will try to be more positive.

I do try to contribute as much as I can. I know someone who works for GT and have the ability to get info at times but still from a distance.

I mention Labarrie before these latest post that he wasn’t going to come back as it was tkagain not a while but I wasn’t not trying to be negative. I was told a few weeks ago that it was a foregone conclusion. Looks like that’s the case as more people hear stuff.

I was a bit off on the players but did ask Jumpman that there would be more suspensions. Just thought it was possible it was Okogie and Jackson but it ended up being Moore and Coach Daryl. Different situation but still more issues with the program.

I do appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
This season has been a bummer for a lot of us - not just you.

I'll take the info whenever you get it. Better than the sources I (don't) have

Texwood

Jolly Good Fellow
I appreciate CJP's efforts to do what it takes to get into the conversation with elite recruits. Unfortunately, he seems lost at the game without the infrastructure of a program like Memphis...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I can see JO "testing" the waters, but don't see him going pro next season. Not sure he'd make a team in the NBA at this time.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Marcus Georges Hunt is on a NBA roster and I think everyone who watches JO sees that he is more talented than MGH.. To think JO will return after this horrible season is nuts! Our best route is to thank him for playing for us and hope he speaks well about his time at Tech to future recruits as he starts his nba career.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I think he leaves as well. Is he ready? No but from what I see going on right now I’d want to get the hell out too! And what development is he getting this year? The whole team looks like they’re over it. Last night was bad. You can say they showed passion at the end but come the f on! They looked uninterested and showed nothing until the last 5 min of the game. That’s rediculous against a team like CoppinSt. There’s some serious **** going on behind the scenes and from looking at CJP it looks like he’s lost. Just my opinion

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't necessarily think he will go after this year, but I do think it's worth his time to think about it. Off the court issues seem to be affecting the team in a negative way, and I'm not sure why you'd want to return to an environment like that if it didn't seem to be getting any better.

It would also be an encouraging sign for him to look at someone like Kobi Simmons - undrafted rookie who has taken advantage of a starter injury and has earned solid minutes over the past few games and could see that continue over the course of the season. Even if you're not drafted, there are still opportunities to prove yourself.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Seems to be to many distractions here right now. Some of which he caused. You’re not going to develop the way you need to if you’re mentally checked out. And I’m sure people around him know that. I hope like hell he stays and I can see him declaring and coming back but watching this team play and seeing all the off court stuff ongoing I can see him leaving.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
One factor is JO’s age. He is young for his class standing (19 just a few months ago) which means he is the same age as a lot of freshmen. He does not need to rush to the league if he isn’t ready.