Oklahoma

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Here's Hall's record at GT, using a running 4 year win average:

View attachment 2326

I've been a big GT baseball fan since I was at Tech ('04-'09), but don't really hold out much hope. Our program seems to be in a pretty steady trend, particularly with regard to the postseason.

That graph reflects my dataless impression.

Fwiw, APR was introduced in 2003. I don't know if there's any causation for the correlation with our struggles in baseball (and basketball) after 2005, but thought it worth mentioning.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Your point is well-taken. Count me an "old man" who is clinging to the days of low scoring small ball. If it had worked, it would have been a huge lift.

Here's Boyd's Worlds NCAA run expectancy table (post BBcor bats, but before the new balls):

upload_2017-3-14_17-50-20.png

Sacrifice bunting almost never puts you in a better position than you were in before. And when you have batters at the plate who get onto base more than 40% (!) of the time, it's statistically stupid to bunt. There may be some exceptions in the late game (B8 or later), especially when you need just one run.

I hate seeing us bunt, especially since we usually have such a good offense and questionable pitching - you'll never know when you'll need those extra runs later.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Here's Boyd's Worlds NCAA run expectancy table (post BBcor bats, but before the new balls):

View attachment 2327

Sacrifice bunting almost never puts you in a better position than you were in before. And when you have batters at the plate who get onto base more than 40% (!) of the time, it's statistically stupid to bunt. There may be some exceptions in the late game (B8 or later), especially when you need just one run.

I hate seeing us bunt, especially since we usually have such a good offense and questionable pitching - you'll never know when you'll need those extra runs later.
Bah Humbug. Get off my lawn @Lagrangejacket ...with all your statisticalastics.(y)

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Ok. Fair enough. Would you say same if it worked & we're up 1-0 with runners on 1st & 2nd with no outs? Because but for a great play by OU, that's the deal.
The only reason that I did not like the squeeze play was because Bailey is .400 hitter and Chase Murray seems to be struggling a little right now. If Murray was hot, then I wouldn't have minded the call.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Clutch hits from Wilhite and Murray give us a 2-0 lead in the 7th. Schneiderjans and Shadday have done great thus far. Throwing strikes makes a huge difference. Let's get some insurance runs then shut them down in the 9th!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow, WTH? I was at work and checked the game in the 4th with no score.

I was afraid to listen on the way home given cosmic karma effect. Fortunatley there was none. Got home in time to see both GT runs.

Line on Ben S - 72-43 strikes for 60%.
Shadday was Cy reincarnate: 38-29 76%. No walks and 3 Ks, 4 FOs and 2 GOs.

Let's see who pitches in the 9th, keep Shadday in until there is a runner? Or put Zac Attack in? Realize we have given up 2 or more runs every game this year. I want about 5 more insurance runs. Sorry, but Pavlov is too strong for me not to worry.

Newnan Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Complete 180 from this weekend. Great pitching from Ben and Shadday. Only 2 walks the whole game and lots of K's. Hopefully we can build on it and take at least 2 of 3 against the Tar Heels.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Shadday ended with 78% strikes. 45-34.

First shut out in forever. Against the #2 hitting team in NCAAs. Can't make it up like this since it doesn't make sense. But I'll take it as a warm up for the BB game tonight.

We need to install a freezer in the dug out for our pitchers to wait in between innings. Empirically that should work since this was the coldest game of the season (and lowest scoring).

Newnan Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I will say though that we have a very young pitching staff. Curry is very talented but he is a freshman. I believe he will have some ups and downs this season. Hughes has been in the program now 2 years but he only made 3 or 4 starts last before being shut down for the year. Really Hughes is still a freshman with experience. And then we have had struggles so for with the Sunday guy. Maybe Ben, Shadday, and Parr can give us some consistency on Sundays. Hope Parr injury isnt serious. I do like our bullpen with Datoc, Ryan, Dulaney, and Carpenter. I have also liked what I have seen so far from Archer as well.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I will say though that we have a very young pitching staff. Curry is very talented but he is a freshman. I believe he will have some ups and downs this season. Hughes has been in the program now 2 years but he only made 3 or 4 starts last before being shut down for the year. Really Hughes is still a freshman with experience. And then we have had struggles so for with the Sunday guy. Maybe Ben, Shadday, and Parr can give us some consistency on Sundays. Hope Parr injury isnt serious. I do like our bullpen with Datoc, Ryan, Dulaney, and Carpenter. I have also liked what I have seen so far from Archer as well.
Hughes is s redshirt freshman because he only pitched in 3 or 4 games last year like you pointed out. I also really like those 4 out of the bullpen and maybe Archer can become the weekday starter freeing up Ben S or Shadday as the Sunday starter.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Very big win.... just hope hope HOPE this will be some sort of corner turned for entire staff. Who knows how much of our problems were just confidence. This can only help in that regard. Time to win a big ACC Coastal series this coming weekend!

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I've heard Connor Thomas should be available to pitch pretty soon and apparently he was very good in the fall. If Curry and Hughes can improve as he season progresses then maybe Ben S. or Thomas can nail down that Sunday spot, we could do pretty well. As you mentioned, the bullpen could be really good with Datoc-Zac-Carpenter-Parr-Dulaney-Shadday-Archer...and don't forget that Gibson had really good numbers last year out of the bullpen, just never translated to the starting role...so he is another arm that may excel in the bullpen.

I did notice today that both pitchers threw a lot of fastballs--don't recall seeing too many offspeed pitches. If you can locate fastballs, you will have success.