Oklahoma

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Moving right along... next up, the Sooners. Highest RPI (#51) of any opponent to date. Not suggesting sample sizes are large enough to put much stock in RPIs, yet; but OU is 17-2.

Every game is important... even these mid-week matchups. We need to shore up the little things and continue to 'test' this pitching staff to really try to find the guys who will consistently throw strikes.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Moving right along... next up, the Sooners. Highest RPI (#51) of any opponent to date. Not suggesting sample sizes are large enough to put much stock in RPIs, yet; but OU is 17-2.

Every game is important... even these mid-week matchups. We need to shore up the little things and continue to 'test' this pitching staff to really try to find the guys who will consistently throw strikes.
After this weekend, I really feel that Hall needs to move Ryan to rotation and just allow Datoc, Dulaney, Carpenter, and Shadday to be the main guys out of the pen and pick one to be the closer.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I want Ryan left as the closer, maybe the extended up to 3 innings type closer. Try Shadday as the Sunday starter. I don't know what to do tomorrow vs Oklahoma, maybe pray for a cancellation. Sunday was a terribly upsetting performance by our pitchers. A pitcher who can't throw strikes is no good. I'll bet our staff got ahead in the count less than 20% if the time this week end, especially yesterday. Who is responsible for having a staff full of such suspects? The pitching Coach, or the Head Coach? I love Coach Hall, but he needs to take some extreme measures to right the ship. As it stands, we will n0t have a winning season with only two starters, and very little else. Coach Hall says that the bullpen is solid, but beyond Ryan, Datock, Dulaney, and Carpenter, there is not much there.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
After this weekend, I really feel that Hall needs to move Ryan to rotation and just allow Datoc, Dulaney, Carpenter, and Shadday to be the main guys out of the pen and pick one to be the closer.
I want Ryan left as the closer, maybe the extended up to 3 innings type closer. Try Shadday as the Sunday starter. I don't know what to do tomorrow vs Oklahoma, maybe pray for a cancellation. Sunday was a terribly upsetting performance by our pitchers. A pitcher who can't throw strikes is no good. I'll bet our staff got ahead in the count less than 20% if the time this week end, especially yesterday. Who is responsible for having a staff full of such suspects? The pitching Coach, or the Head Coach? I love Coach Hall, but he needs to take some extreme measures to right the ship. As it stands, we will n0t have a winning season with only two starters, and very little else. Coach Hall says that the bullpen is solid, but beyond Ryan, Datock, Dulaney, and Carpenter, there is not much there.
This is why I just came into my job today with a huge smile on my face.... and did not call Todd Stansbury asking if I can help with the baseball team. :nailbiting:

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I want Ryan left as the closer, maybe the extended up to 3 innings type closer.
I can agree with this, but I would just personally rather have him give us a quality start and then have a chance to actually be close enough at the end of a Sunday game to have someone else close it out. I would also like to see Hall use Ben S or Jake Lee (I know that he got destroyed yesterday, but one start is not a good measuring stick) as the weekday starter if Parr is hurt.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Article today at Ramblin Wreck http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/031317aaa.html didn't list "probable" starter. At least the game starts at 4PM and won't conflict with the 9PM basketball game. Hopefully we score more runs than Oklahoma. But that will probably be >10 to win.

Bad news from @65Jacket that Parr is hurting too.

Throwing strikes is step 1, step 2 is throwing strikes that aren't easy to be hit. Jake threw 68% strikes but they were hit all over the park.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We are no longer in the top 25 in the coaches or Baseball America polls. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/schedule/Georgia-Tech

Concerning the coaching staff, I agree Hall has earned the right to stay as long as he wants given his long record and being a great ambassador for GT. He and I probably share the same deficiency of being overly loyal to those who work for us. At our ages, we aren't going to change.

Newnan Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
We are no longer in the top 25 in the coaches or Baseball America polls. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/schedule/Georgia-Tech

Concerning the coaching staff, I agree Hall has earned the right to stay as long as he wants given his long record and being a great ambassador for GT. He and I probably share the same deficiency of being overly loyal to those who work for us. At our ages, we aren't going to change.
Hall can stay but he needs to get rid of the pitching coach. We are not going to make a run with Howell as our coach.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's Hall's record at GT, using a running 4 year win average:

upload_2017-3-14_13-4-18.png

I've been a big GT baseball fan since I was at Tech ('04-'09), but don't really hold out much hope. Our program seems to be in a pretty steady trend, particularly with regard to the postseason.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok. Fair enough. Would you say same if it worked & we're up 1-0 with runners on 1st & 2nd with no outs? Because but for a great play by OU, that's the deal.

There is never a reason to have a player batting .390 (Austin) or .430 (Wade) sac bunt in the 5th inning. Period.