Oklahoma State hires Duke Defensive Coordinator

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
After being in Durham for the last two, where we scored exactly 20 points both times, I'd have to say the Duke defense looked pretty darn good. (And their offense didn't have much trouble with our passive defense either.) Agree with ATL1, Cutcliff's good. But we need to do a lot better against these guys.

Deleted member 2897

On a side tangent, for those wringing their hands about how many coaches we hired from schools like Appalachian State and Wofford, here are all the new coaches at Oklahoma State for next year:
Jim Knowles: Duke
Shane Eachus: Ursinus College
Greg Richmond: Fairmont State
Brian Rock: Holy Cross
MK Taylor: Jacksonville State
Chris Thurmond: Rice

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Over the last 4 games with them, we've lost 3 and have given up an average of 30+ points per game. Our issues with them haven't really been against their defense IMO.
2014 – Scored 25 points (15 of which were under 4 minutes in garbage time). Gave up 14 points off turnovers on short field
2015 – Scored 20 points. Gave up 7 points off turnovers and another 7 from a failed 4th down conversion in our own territory.
2016 – Scored 38 points but only 10 in the second half after we gave up 14 points off turnovers early to put them back in the game. Fabulous performance by JT to allow us to pull that one out.
2017 – Scored 20 points. Only 3 points off turnovers but only 2 first downs the entire 2nd half as both offense and defense laid down in what was the most disgusting performance I’ve ever witnessed as a Tech fan.

It's not solely on the offense, but they sure as hell haven't played very good against Duke either.

Deleted member 2897

2014 – Scored 25 points (15 of which were under 4 minutes in garbage time). Gave up 14 points off turnovers on short field
2015 – Scored 20 points. Gave up 7 points off turnovers and another 7 from a failed 4th down conversion in our own territory.
2016 – Scored 38 points but only 10 in the second half after we gave up 14 points off turnovers early to put them back in the game. Fabulous performance by JT to allow us to pull that one out.
2017 – Scored 20 points. Only 3 points off turnovers but only 2 first downs the entire 2nd half as both offense and defense laid down in what was the most disgusting performance I’ve ever witnessed as a Tech fan.

It's not solely on the offense, but they sure as hell haven't played very good against Duke either.

To whit, here is an illustration of a 4th and 6 that Duke went for, going into half time to tie the game. Note that at the snap of the ball, we had 3 guys on the line, 1 guy at the 6 yard 1st down marker, and SEVEN guys backpeddling. The alignment and backing up resulted in SEVEN of our guys being at least 3 yards BEYOND the line to reach. So it was essentially 11 versus 4.
KZ1g4n.gif

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
To whit, here is an illustration of a 4th and 6 that Duke went for, going into half time to tie the game. Note that at the snap of the ball, we had 3 guys on the line, 1 guy at the 6 yard 1st down marker, and SEVEN guys backpeddling. The alignment and backing up resulted in SEVEN of our guys being at least 3 yards BEYOND the line to reach. So it was essentially 11 versus 4.
KZ1g4n.gif
Yeah, that play in particular was ridiculously easy. It looks like a foregone conclusion just from alignment before the snap (I'm especially looking at that inside slot guy (TE) who got the 1st down). The other guys I didn't really see as a problem.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Oh I'm not trying to defend our awful defense either. I'm just saying our offense has also blown against Duke.

Milwaukee

Banned
KZ1g4n.gif

I get mad every time I see this ****. Alignment is so crucial and it's not that difficult to coach. Don't get outflanked (although it's gonna happen) and don't give a yard when you can only afford an inch. Video games even teach you this stuff, so how do coaches not see it with all the film they have.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

It sounds like outside of 2017, our problem against Duke has been turnovers.

Also, I wish I could say that the Duke game was the most pitiful Tech performance I've seen, but I was at the 2012 MTSU game, and I think the latter was worse.

Deleted member 2897

Recently Fluke regularly beats us with less talent. No need to say more.

Them losing the DC will help. Maybe our DC will help. Otherwise its still CPJ and Cutcliffe at the top.

Well, over the last several years, our recruiting classes have been pretty equal.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, over the last several years, our recruiting classes have been pretty equal.

yeah I wouldn't exactly call them less talented than us.
https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite?Conference=ACC
make of it what you will. indictment of us or success of them.

If Fluke is recruiting as well as us, well then ........ "indictment of us or success of them."

Dodd, Alexander and Heisman are not resting easy.