Ok we are 3-3 so what concerns you the most ( any thing but the coaches)

Jmonty71

Banned
For me it's our running game. I still think we have 3 of the best running backs in the ACC. I know Our OL is bad but I thought we would be able to run on anybody.
The carelessness we show in the passing game. It's a mixture of Sims trying to do too much, youth, bad routes and lack of communication between the WRs and QB. You don't win many games, while losing the turnover margin.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
My concern is that Sims watches one receiver the entire route. Seems to me that is why so many of his passes get tipped. Also he does not step into his throws. I have never seen a QB stand flatfooted or on his back foot throwing like he does. He is certainly talented but may need coaching on some fundamentals.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Third down performance on O and red zone (especially after first and goal) performance (although not a game changer today) caused by inferior Oline play and magnified by bad/unimaginative play calling. Last week the first and goal performance killed us and this week, again, the poor third down conversion (2/11 until the last possession) kept the opponent in the game.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
My concerns in order of importance:

1) Run blocking
2) OL and DL injuries
3) Offensive playcalling
4) Secondary pass coverage, specifically the safeties
5) We'll have a small crowd at homecoming especially if we lose to UVA

As a bonus, some potential ways to mitigate these concerns:

1) Sign the 3 massive linemen verbally committed to us in the 2022 class and add one more quality OL in this class.
Add 2 experienced OL's through the portal for next season with at least one of them being a grad transfer.
As much as I would like to suggest a coaching change here, I'm not ready to pull the trigger on that yet (as if I had any control over this anyway), and, besides, I'm saving that card for the other issues below.

2) Probably not much to be done here, but I would say we do seem to have a large number of 'injuries' during the game that turn out to be apparent nothing-burgers. We're starting to look like a soccer team out there. Maybe our trainers could better assure the players that they're actually ok and better assist them in playing through bruises. Cramping is sometimes a result of overhydration with free water, and providing adequate salt and other electrolytes can help prevent this. I'm sure the trainers know this, but this is about what, I, as a fan, observe watching the games. So there you go.

3) Like a lot of our fans, I have seen enough of CDP's in-game playcalling decisions. He's a smart guy that I like listening to in press conferences. I think he cares about the players, teaches fairly well, and tries his best. I'd like us to sign Zach Pyron in December, then help CDP find a great landing spot at a school in California or Hawaii or wherever he wants to live, and then hire a hungry middle-aged coordinator who has proven it at the FCS or G5 level and wants to show what he can do with a talented crew of skill position players.

4) I'm not expecting us to necessarily change our starting lineup, but assuming our backups like Edwards and Allen are healthy, I want to see them playing more frequently back there. We need to mean it when we say, 'competition is king.' Jaylon King can lay the wood, and I want to see more of him too. Might warrant a change in position coach there, but I definitely don't know enough about that to say one way or the other.

5) Easy. Beat UVA. Yellow Jacket fans assemble!!!

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Oops...I mentioned something about coaching. That is against the rules for this thread. Sorry.
How about our Flagship Station.

Last edited:

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

1) Run blocking
2) OL and DL injuries
3) Offensive playcalling

1) Sign the 3 massive linemen verbally committed to us in the 2022 class and add one more quality OL in this class.
Add 2 experienced OL's through the portal for next season with at least one of them being a grad transfer.
As much as I would like to suggest a coaching change here, I'm not ready to pull the trigger on that yet (as if I had any control over this anyway), and, besides, I'm saving that card for the other issues below.

2) Probably not much to be done here, but I would say we do seem to have a large number of 'injuries' during the game that turn out to be apparent nothing-burgers. We're starting to look like a soccer team out there. Maybe our trainers could better assure the players that they're actually ok and better assist them in playing through bruises. Cramping is sometimes a result of overhydration with free water, and providing adequate salt and other electrolytes can help prevent this. I'm sure the trainers know this, but this is about what, I, as a fan, observe watching the games. So there you go.

3) Like a lot of our fans, I have seen enough of CDP's in-game playcalling decisions. He's a smart guy that I like listening to in press conferences. I think he cares about the players, teaches fairly well, and tries his best. I'd like us to sign Zach Pyron in December, then help CDP find a great landing spot at a school in California or Hawaii or wherever he wants to live, and then hire a hungry middle-aged coordinator who has proven it at the FCS or G5 level and wants to show what he can do with a talented crew of skill position players.

4) I'm not expecting us to necessarily change our starting lineup, but assuming our backups like Edwards and Allen are healthy, I want to see them playing more frequently back there. We need to mean it when we say, 'competition is king.' Jaylon King can lay the wood, and I want to see more of him too. Might warrant a change in position coach there, but I definitely don't know enough about that to say one way or the other.

Really like #3 !!!!

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow

1) Run blocking
2) OL and DL injuries
3) Offensive playcalling

I just realized I messed up by talking about the coaches when the original post indicated that topic should be avoided. My apologies.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
We have little chance in any of the remaining games if we don’t improve our rushing game. Not only are we losing yards on the ground, it is forcing us to throw more leading to more turnovers. I am also pretty concerned about our secondary, especially going into the UVA game where they are going to air it out all over the place.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
For this year: 1. Underachieving OL 2. Sims’ decision making 3. Young DL

For the future. Our OL. We’re losing 3 maybe 4 of our better ones at season’s end. Haven’t seen much from the young guys outside of J Williams. Best case scenario we land a quality transfer or 2 and then see Franklin, Green, Leftwich, and Paula step up. Are they ready for that? Makes sense - ‘19 class - 0 OLs, ‘20 class - whiffed on our top targets, ‘21 class - too early to judge. Is it fair to judge Key yet? Recruiting has improved but OL takes the longest to develop. Transfers as we’ve seen at other position groups don’t always live up to the hype but we’ve had no other choice on the OL. Personally I’m disappointed and concerned about next year too.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I know this goes back a bit, but what I think is about the spring game! 3 decades ago I use to attend the games, and they were like real games. This past game was on tv. But what I saw was like a train wreck as collins went on the field to the players telling them something. I watched abot 3 plays and turned it off. If that is the way he does all the time in the spring then I believe yikes!!