Ok question to kill time

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Well maybe 2 questions.
We look to have some very good to great running backs this year.
1) in your life time as a Tech fan who is your opinion was the best running back for Tech ?
2) when was the last year in your opinion did we have 2 very good or great running backs in the same year ?

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Well maybe 2 questions.
1) in your life time as a Tech fan who is your opinion was the best running back for Tech ?
2) when was the last year in your opinion did we have 2 very good or great running backs in the same year ?

Ive been following GT football since about 2003. I’d say Dwyer has definitely been the best. Choice, Daniels, and Mills were all really good too.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Well maybe 2 questions.
During my time as a Tech fan, I’d have to to say Dwyer. If you consider Nesbitt as a running back, then 09. It could still be 09 with Dwyer and Allen, or 08 with Dwyer and Roddy. 14 was fun too with Days and Laskey.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Ive been following GT football since about 2003. I’d say Dwyer has definitely been the best. Choice, Daniels, and Mills were all really good too.

I agree with that but would add as a historical perspective Eddie Lee Ivery from the 70s, Robert Lavette from the 80s, maybe Dorsey Levans and Tashard Choice. Two great backs at the same time? Have to defer to those more knowledgeable. To be honest, Tony Hollings could have had more pure talent than any of them. Tech has seldom had trouble finding and developing great or at least very good running backs...linemen? That's another story.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
During my time as a Tech fan, I’d have to to say Dwyer. If you consider Nesbitt as a running back, then 09. It could still be 09 with Dwyer and Allen, or 08 with Dwyer and Roddy. 14 was fun too with Days and Laskey.

Man, I have to tell you Monroe, I had my glasses on Days one game and he was knocking people back and when he got tired, here comes Laskey who ran almost as hard. Both of them were a handful to be sure.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Top 5:

Lavette
ELI
Burns
Mays
Choice

Never saw Castleberry. He’s probably #1 and the others move down a slot. Dwyer is #7, Mills not that good against that list, Daniels I liked a lot but pretty sure he’s not Top 10 either. Rogers and Bell may be above Dwyer, close.

Edit: @Heisman's Ghost How could I forget Levens.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
He doesn't have the numbers if you look back... but William Bell was a beast. The eyeball test tells the story. He just ran over dudes... rarely got stopped behind LOS. Kept drives alive late in games to kill clock & secure wins. So fun to have on "our side". He was a huge piece in an 11-0-1 national championship season.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’d say Dwyer because his burst was just special. Then Bell and Choice. I always have a place in my heart for Jerry Mays cause he was then man when I walked into BDS the first time as a GT student.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I’d say Dwyer because his burst was just special. Then Bell and Choice. I always have a place in my heart for Jerry Mays cause he was then man when I walked into BDS the first time as a GT student.
I like Mays but not sure this OC would play him at his size , I like size but sometimes it really doesn't matter.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Well maybe 2 questions.
1. Eddie Lee Ivery
2. Didn't see them play, but 1917, Judy Harlan, Joe Guyon, Everett Strupper must have been some bad dudes. Guyon would start on today's team.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Eddie Lee Ivery and it isn’t even close.
  • NCAA single game highest average gain per rush-(Min. 26 rushes) - 13.7 vs. Air Force, Nov. 11, 1978
  • Division One single game rushing record- 356 yards vs. Air Force, Nov. 11, 1978. And he did it with the flu.
  • Georgia Tech Football single season rushing yards leader- 1,562 yards
  • Georgia Tech 3rd in career (1975–78) rushing yards- 3,517 in 609 attempts and 22 TD.
  • Georgia Tech 4th in career all-purpose yards- 4,324
I remember when his legs were shown on the cover of Sports Illustrated. The first, and maybe only time, the magazine ever had a cover without a face shot.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Well maybe 2 questions.
Personal opinion as best ever, Eddie Lee Ivory. The highest drafted back from Tech during my 64 years.
The last time we had to great backs, our current rb coach with Dwyer as a freshman

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Eddie Lee! I-ver-y! It was a cheer.

It used to be in college football there was commonly a blocking back. I-formation, for example. When the OP says "best running backs", I think back to the time when you had a blocking back and a tailback--not necessarily two major ball carriers. I'm trying to remember who blocked for Ivery, Lavette et al. out of the backfield. They got a few carries, so they were running backs. That combo could be the two best running backs in the same year.

With last year's OL, we could have used some I formation blocking. I used to say that a good blocking back could cover sins of the OL. They did a pretty good job of using the TE to block the rushing plays last year. An NFL draft choice shows that to be true.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Eddie Lee! I-ver-y! It was a cheer.

It used to be in college football there was commonly a blocking back. I-formation, for example. When the OP says "best running backs", I think back to the time when you had a blocking back and a tailback--not necessarily two major ball carriers. I'm trying to remember who blocked for Ivery, Lavette et al. out of the backfield. They got a few carries, so they were running backs. That combo could be the two best running backs in the same year.

With last year's OL, we could have used some I formation blocking. I used to say that a good blocking back could cover sins of the OL. They did a pretty good job of using the TE to block the rushing plays last year. An NFL draft choice shows that to be true.
John O’Neal was the blocking FB for Eddie Lee. To this day he complains because his only 100 yard game was against AirForce the day ELI set the NCAA single game rushing record....so no one even noticed what O’Neal did...LOL

GTFLETCH

Banned
Well maybe 2 questions.
2) when was the
last year in your opinion did we have 2 very good or great running backs in the same year ?
1. Eddie Lee Ivery
2. 2014 - Zach Laskey & S. Days (Orange Bowl) & 2009- J. Dwyer & A. Allen (ACC Championship Team//Both Played NFL)
however, I think our depth at RB is the best it has been ever period... I am guessing we will see alot of two back sets this year.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I recognize the question is "in my lifetime", but for historical completeness any conversation about Tech RBs needs to include Clint Castleberry.

1. In my lifetime, I'd probably pick Dwyer slightly over Choice. Choice had more yards, but more carries. Dwyer had more TDs and a higher avg per carry. (I was born a little too late for ELI)

2. 2014, that RB room was insane. Laskey, Days, Tony Zenon, Broderick Snoddy, Charles Perkins, Deon Hill, B.J. Bostic all had over 5yds per attempt and over 20 attempts. Plus Justin Thomas as a 'running' back on most plays... that offense was majestic.

(Also, this was my 404th post. I'm taking that as an omen that my answer to both these questions will change by the end of this year!!)