Ok Brilliant Engineers....

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
As an outsider sidewalk fan looking in, I can't help but guess that the calc requirement for every major not only hurts recruiting, but -- really, does it really add value for all majors? Serious question. I can't help but believe that an "optional core" requirement, e.g., of an introductory probability and stats course and an "introduction to reasoning" course (e.g., Toulmin's model, and some Aristotelian logic) would be more useful than calculus for many of the majors not among the hard sciences. And hey, if such happened to make things a wee bit easier for recruiting in a society with a considerable degree of mathaphobia, that would be a nice bonus. Has calculus always been a core requirement at Tech?

Coach Dodd himself complained in his biography that calculus was the worst thing that ever happened to a school. He would go to a recruit's house and see a calculus book and groan to himself "Georgia has been here." The Georgia coaches would get a calculus book hand it to a recruit that was considering Tech and say: "Think you can pass this?" That said, the purists will raise hell if God forbid, the calculus requirement was to be lifted. Fair enough, but you can be sure it has in the past and will continue to be a major impediment to our football recruiting efforts. How much, is up for debate. Personally, I would keep it and give the players a watered down version with a gazillion TAs paid to keep them on track to pass the damn thing.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
George O'Leary had five consecutive years of finishing in the AP Top 25 poll. Johnson has had back to back AP final poll ranked teams only once--2008 -2009--his first two GT teams-- with Gailey's recruits.
Can't say im a huge fan of this metric. Back then we could finish with 5 losses and be ranked. For example, 1997. We went 7-5 and didn't beat a single team that ended the season with more than 7 wins. That team finished in the top 25. That would never happen these days.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I agree with all but number 7 anyone who follows Saban will not make the Alabama fan happy. I don't think Dabo would leave Clemson.

Dabo is too smart to leave Clemson. Remember who replaced Bear Bryant? Yeah, well it was Ray Perkins. One of Bear's boys, All American at Alabama, with an NFL pedigree to boot. Didn't last to breakfast. Remember who succeeded Coach Dodd? Poor Bud Carson. Never had a chance. Following legends like Saban just doesn't pay off.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Can't say im a huge fan of this metric. Back then we could finish with 5 losses and be ranked. For example, 1997. We went 7-5 and didn't beat a single team that ended the season with more than 7 wins. That team finished in the top 25. That would never happen these days.
The ACC was a different animal in those days as well. Good teams with good players abounded but there were plenty of cupcakes. Now you have teams like BC just flat wearing out Florida State on national television. What is the world coming to?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I remember selling all the drafting packages at the robbery.

I hope they still use t squares and slide rules because if not would really diminish my me 1969 degree. Let s get real about calculus for none stem classes.

Even though the first poster said "coach has taken MIT and Caltech level students and won 7-10 games " (which is the greatest overstatement in defense of coach that has ever been poster on Swarm) and the said other statements which are not verifiable, he does reach the correct conclusion.
IT'S ALL ABOUT $$. We need to dig deeper = help coach

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
We are 4th in rushing and 124th in passing.....Georgia is 10th in rushing and 112th in passing...hoe's that working out for them.
I guess colorado j. that you believe that everything is just honky dory with Tech football. If we just stickwith johnson soon Tech will play in the college football playoffs. You sir, are unwilling to pull the curtain back and see the problems. There are many Tech folks that believe like you and unfortunately you'll be giving the same song and dance 10 years from now.

Coach Dodd himself complained in his biography that calculus was the worst thing that ever happened to a school. He would go to a recruit's house and see a calculus book and groan to himself "Georgia has been here." The Georgia coaches would get a calculus book hand it to a recruit that was considering Tech and say: "Think you can pass this?" That said, the purists will raise hell if God forbid, the calculus requirement was to be lifted. Fair enough, but you can be sure it has in the past and will continue to be a major impediment to our football recruiting efforts. How much, is up for debate. Personally, I would keep it and give the players a watered down version with a gazillion TAs paid to keep them on track to pass the damn thing.
I guess I am one of those purists. Why is it required to jettison the uniqueness of Georgia Tech? We have been up and down for 100 years, but I don't think we were cheating to win four national championships. And I realize this isn't 1957 any more, but there are players out there that can play and do well in the classroom. The last time I checked, we offer the high tech education that many kids want to be a part of.

I guess colorado j. that you believe that everything is just honky dory with Tech football. If we just stickwith johnson soon Tech will play in the college football playoffs. You sir, are unwilling to pull the curtain back and see the problems. There are many Tech folks that believe like you and unfortunately you'll be giving the same song and dance 10 years from now.
So who should our coach be? What offense should we run?
If you believe that we are in the same capacity as Alabama then you need to do some soul searching. CPJ is the most successful coach we have had since 1966 and oh by the way he is the 4th most winning active coach in College Football today.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I guess I am one of those purists. Why is it required to jettison the uniqueness of Georgia Tech? We have been up and down for 100 years, but I don't think we were cheating to win four national championships. And I realize this isn't 1957 any more, but there are players out there that can play and do well in the classroom. The last time I checked, we offer the high tech education that many kids want to be a part of.

I am a purist, too, but very, very, very few big nasties (DLs with motors over 300lb) that would fit your last sentence. Bottomline, the difference in tier 1 (Bammer, Clem'son) and the rest.

Milwaukee

Banned

Calculus isn't brain surgery.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Calculus isn't brain surgery.

This is a very "Techno-centric"post. I teach math. Have taught now for a couple of years at two schools now (one public,one private) at both ends of the socio-economic spectrum. teaching is my second career. Believe it or not, there are high school kids who struggle to graph a linear equation. A few years ago, I wouldn't have believed it either. What made calculus hard at Tech wasn't the material but the quality (pun intended) of the "teaching" we endured.

WTBS, you could teach calculus such that a child with reasonably good algebra II skills could do well.It's all about the intensity and pace that determines the difficulty if you will.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Honest question. When was the last time you were happy with Tech football?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This young Scott frost has few wins on his coaching resume.
His ucf knights did not play the yellow jackets.
We on swarm loudly boasted we would destroy the pesky knights.

Young coach frost did don the old option qb dress for his scout team.
You see he did win a national championship as option qb
Schooled these young knights did stop the Navy attack of cp j protege.

(Scot frost teams a looking now at top twenty rank it appears his coaching career is in its first act.)

Heed the warning - Return scott to Nebraska and face certain oblivion.

Wish we had played them. We would be a better team.
Maybe in a bowl. Would be a great match up. I think we destroy them.

Perhaps I boast to much based on previous years.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Johnson has had just as much success if not more than almost every coach at GT. Changing the system is not going to change our win total, it hasn't in the past so why would it now? Especially when teams have way more tools than we do for recruiting compared to the past. I don't get it, you want us to change what we are doing, to things we have done already in the past with less success than what we have now, and you're expecting new things to happen? Show me another school that has the recruiting issues GT has? CPJ takes recruiting classes that are consistently in the 50's or so (although recruiting is getting better imo) and he is constantly in the top 35 and even making top 15 at times, can you think of another coach that has ever done that?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Johnson has had just as much success if not more than almost every coach at GT. Changing the system is not going to change our win total, it hasn't in the past so why would it now? Especially when teams have way more tools than we do for recruiting compared to the past. I don't get it, you want us to change what we are doing, to things we have done already in the past with less success than what we have now, and you're expecting new things to happen? Show me another school that has the recruiting issues GT has? CPJ takes recruiting classes that are consistently in the 50's or so (although recruiting is getting better imo) and he is constantly in the top 35 and even making top 15 at times, can you think of another coach that has ever done that?
Trying to talk to the ones on here that just don't like CPJ is a waste of time.