Ok all Tech football fans gather around the nearest computer!!!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I was negative 3 games ago, but something changed!!! I really started watching a LOT of players that are Fr,so, and jrs getting play time!! So now I have a list of each of those classes of guys that are getting that time in games! Here at home I have their names, position, class, and jersey #. These are the ones that have impressed me maybe just a few plays, but very good plays! I have done players by class and their potential as in that class. I have not listed players who are playing that have not played as well depending on which class. I have also listed those that by the time they leave Tech these guys could become very good to even great! Also we ONLY HAVE 11 SR"S on the whole team! I will not mention on this post any names or #'s so no one will get mad or feelings hurt. I am only giving the #'s total. Remember 11 sr's and a couple of those are hurt. Fr class 8 with 4 possibly very good to great. Soph cl. 11 with 5 possibles. jr's 7 with 3 possibles. a total # of 26 with 12 possibles! Also 6 that are playing and possibly could be breakthroughs. and 6 that are being red shirted that could jump into the #'s above. This; I believe bodes well after this year.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I share that enthusiasm. If we were playing mostly upperclassmen I would feel a lot different about where we are right now but I am excited about many of our younger players, especially at the skill positions. Some of them (Brown, Thomas, Mason, Knight to name a few) look like they could be the kind of players that will be talked about 10 - 30 years from now ala Mays, Swilling, Lavette, Hamilton, Roof, etc. Just need to get the same type of talent in the trenches for this thing to get to the proverbial 'next level". By that I mean consistently challenging for the ACC Coastal and being in or near top 25 consistently (I added this because in some years, being Coastal champion isn't all that meaningful in the grand scheme of things).

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I share that enthusiasm. If we were playing mostly upperclassmen I would feel a lot different about where we are right now but I am excited about many of our younger players, especially at the skill positions. Some of them (Brown, Thomas, Mason, Knight to name a few) look like they could be the kind of players that will be talked about 10 - 30 years from now ala Mays, Swilling, Lavette, Hamilton, Roof, etc. Just need to get the same type of talent in the trenches for this thing to get to the proverbial 'next level". By that I mean consistently challenging for the ACC Coastal and being in or near top 25 consistently (I added this because in some years, being Coastal champion isn't all that meaningful in the grand scheme of things).
And the lineman also just think about the Lay guy now a first stringer who was not even get on the field as a walk on! I have seen some good plays by him! So many of these youngsters are getting sooo much time in games it is a whole lot better than practice. This will payoff in a big huge way in one year or a few more yrs. These guys are giving everything in games. And this coaching staff I believe are a positive influence on this type of season! Thanks for your reply!

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Just remember what Bobby Dodd said, "You will lose 1 game for every freshman you play" There is a good reason you don't generally play a lot of of very young players...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm glad y"all are happy and yes a lot of under classmen are playing. But honestly even when CPJ was here it seemed like every year we would hear how young our team was that year.

One thing I'm happy to not hear is the phrase "we need to simplify". I can go the rest of my life without hearing one of our coaches utter that phrase halfway through the season.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
some did but the problem is the number who leave and don't stay all 4 years , here is a list of 2016

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia-tech/2016-roster.html

once you open it you can look at all the years

Our turnover and retention rate has been baffling to me over the last 5 - 10 years. seems like this is a relatively new phenomena perhaps influenced by the APR. Players graduating in 3 calendar years didn't happen in the past iirc. Heck, in the engineering school I knew of very few of my peers that got out in the "typical" 4 year/12 quarter system. I think even those riding the M train took all 12 quarters to graduate. And we weren't hanging around because we loved it either!;)

I really wish that I knew if our retention rate over the last 5-6 years is unusual and if so, how do we address that? I could look up that data to the first part but quite frankly, it's not that I am too lazy to do so, it's just that I don't care enough.:woot:

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
College kids are graduating quicker now because they are at the school year round. They are in summer school taking a full load of courses. Freshmen are coming in in January rather than August. The new transfer rules are helping because if I graduate from school A in 3 years, I can transfer our and go to school B for 2 years.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Our turnover and retention rate has been baffling to me over the last 5 - 10 years. seems like this is a relatively new phenomena perhaps influenced by the APR. Players graduating in 3 calendar years didn't happen in the past iirc. Heck, in the engineering school I knew of very few of my peers that got out in the "typical" 4 year/12 quarter system. I think even those riding the M train took all 12 quarters to graduate. And we weren't hanging around because we loved it either!;)

I really wish that I knew if our retention rate over the last 5-6 years is unusual and if so, how do we address that? I could look up that data to the first part but quite frankly, it's not that I am too lazy to do so, it's just that I don't care enough.:woot:
We need to find dumber players and simplify things :). It does seem that we have more players graduate early.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We need to find dumber players and simplify things :). It does seem that we have more players graduate early.

along with "simplify things", going "back to basics" is another tired phrase that I would be glad to never hear again in my life.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
College kids are graduating quicker now because they are at the school year round. They are in summer school taking a full load of courses. Freshmen are coming in in January rather than August. The new transfer rules are helping because if I graduate from school A in 3 years, I can transfer our and go to school B for 2 years.
AP credit and rising visible costs combined with greater awareness of the opportunity cost of staying in school are also factors.

Take a look at [1] and it's reasonable that some incoming freshman could start with 30+ credit hours. Then say they take on average 12 credits/semester and attend school all year round and require 132 credit hours to graduate; with right planning of prereqs, they could "easily" graduate in 3 years. For the high achievers, one could add in co-op, a few semesters of internships, and/or undergrad research to round out their education and still graduate in 4 years or less.

[1]: http://www.catalog.gatech.edu/academics/undergraduate/credit-tests-scores/advanced-placement-exams/

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was negative 3 games ago, but something changed!!! I really started watching a LOT of players that are Fr,so, and jrs getting play time!! So now I have a list of each of those classes of guys that are getting that time in games! Here at home I have their names, position, class, and jersey #. These are the ones that have impressed me maybe just a few plays, but very good plays! I have done players by class and their potential as in that class. I have not listed players who are playing that have not played as well depending on which class. I have also listed those that by the time they leave Tech these guys could become very good to even great! Also we ONLY HAVE 11 SR"S on the whole team! I will not mention on this post any names or #'s so no one will get mad or feelings hurt. I am only giving the #'s total. Remember 11 sr's and a couple of those are hurt. Fr class 8 with 4 possibly very good to great. Soph cl. 11 with 5 possibles. jr's 7 with 3 possibles. a total # of 26 with 12 possibles! Also 6 that are playing and possibly could be breakthroughs. and 6 that are being red shirted that could jump into the #'s above. This; I believe bodes well after this year.
We are improving incrementally, i can see that. With that being said the mountain is a huge climb