Offseason - Baseball

GT baseball fan

Georgia Tech Fan
Jack Rubenstein a catcher at GT (previously at Emory)

Attachments

• 09C6B33C-740F-43E2-84FC-C61BCDBCEDEC.jpeg
    09C6B33C-740F-43E2-84FC-C61BCDBCEDEC.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 35

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We're in a better spot that Texas.
One of Christian's buddies is the highest rank prospect from the 21 class.
They have over 50 with 29 pitchers.
We have 42+ish and 22ish pitchers so far if everyone comes back that isn't in the portal or didn't return.
Assuming Daniels is Medical Redshirt with TJ.

@GTNavyNuke NCAA D1 Limit for 21-22 is 40. how does this roll into your predictions with 3 in from the portal and we'll see who "officially" returns for Fall....

I'll do a projection when I get home in a week. I had assumed 40 was the limit this year, then 35 next.

A month or two ago we were only ~3 over the 40 as I recall. Some transfers since then. So we are reasonable.

Just need a catcher!

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
right, didn't know where to post that and since practices haven't started yet... figured this was "off season" and Chance seems to have a major haircut and got rid of his Flo....

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Let's hope we see our new transfers on this D1 List...
Brody had a great summer and hope he does great things at Samford.
Holland should be on this list as well.

Still no official word on the other destinations...

Nice write up for Andy going to Hawaii
1630594375884.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Interesting….

With about 30 D1 baseball conferences, consolidation of D1 baseball would be good. But the logistics and cost probably prevent much of that.

Better watch out, this is the Offseason Baseball thread and not the consolidation thread. (tic) But I'll roll with it.

Reading this below, I was surprised by this "For example, in 2021 the Women’s College World Series produced viewership numbers that were approximately 60% greater than the Men’s College World Series." So another example of the lack of $$$ associated with men's college baseball. For the women, college softball is the end-all and they have no career to strive for, only competition. So that may lead to more interest given it is the highest level of play for aficionados of the sport. Of course, I think that is good and what college athletics are all about. It's kind of like my favorite sport of cycling where the vast majority compete for the love of the sport.

Anyway back to the idea of the article (first of three part series) is that the regionals be replaced by two consecutive weekends of 3 game series to get to the superregional. I kind of like the idea, but lean more to keeping what we have as the enemy of good is better.* A lot of good discussion in here for the slow days of the off season (see what I did?)
https://d1baseball.com/columns/rooneys-college-baseball-strategic-plan-part-i/

I think the next two parts on recruiting and transfers will be interesting.

*https://www.forbes.com/sites/deeppa...fection-is-the-enemy-of-done/?sh=60d35dc74395

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well with football season moot, here's the next D1 article about baseball recruiting. Very good points about the inappropriate recruiting practice (all do it) of committing kids just entering HS. The alternative would be to prevent contact and commitments till September of the kids Jr year like women's softball has started to do. GT does well under the existing system; I think our brand would allow us to do just as well under the softball rules. It probably comes down to what is best for the kids / parents and staffs. That seems to be clearly to go to the softball method. Thoughts?

I wish he had talked more about how the MLB draft messes up roster planning. Not knowing if your best players are coming or not till the summer of the year they are joining the team is totally messed up. No comparison for college football or basketball. But there isn't much college baseball can do about that since the MLB is paying the bills and the hopeful destination of players.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
With about 30 D1 baseball conferences, consolidation of D1 baseball would be good. But the logistics and cost probably prevent much of that.

Better watch out, this is the Offseason Baseball thread and not the consolidation thread. (tic) But I'll roll with it.

Reading this below, I was surprised by this "For example, in 2021 the Women’s College World Series produced viewership numbers that were approximately 60% greater than the Men’s College World Series." So another example of the lack of $$$ associated with men's college baseball. For the women, college softball is the end-all and they have no career to strive for, only competition. So that may lead to more interest given it is the highest level of play for aficionados of the sport. Of course, I think that is good and what college athletics are all about. It's kind of like my favorite sport of cycling where the vast majority compete for the love of the sport.

Anyway back to the idea of the article (first of three part series) is that the regionals be replaced by two consecutive weekends of 3 game series to get to the superregional. I kind of like the idea, but lean more to keeping what we have as the enemy of good is better.* A lot of good discussion in here for the slow days of the off season (see what I did?)
https://d1baseball.com/columns/rooneys-college-baseball-strategic-plan-part-i/

I think the next two parts on recruiting and transfers will be interesting.

*https://www.forbes.com/sites/deeppa...fection-is-the-enemy-of-done/?sh=60d35dc74395
I actually like regionals the way they are. When I lived in ATL and attended them regularly, I enjoyed the fact that you could watch 3 other teams that you may not have otherwise had the opportunity to see play (other than getting paired up with UGA if both were not #1 seeds...) Of course, I would buy the regional package and go to the non GT games as well. I recall watching Louisville play as a 3 or 4 seed in our region before they became a national powerhouse many, many years ago. Same goes for the Vandy regional I attended many years ago. Got to see Tech play Illinois, Vanderbilt, and one of the directional Tennessee schools (can't recall whether it was Eastern, Middle, or Western Tennessee State...)

I have not read the article yet, but I can see a financial benefit to college baseball moving to such a format. Non local teams don't draw many fans to a 4 team regional format. A 3 vs. 4 matchup is not going to be very well attended. Even 2 vs. 3 or 2 vs 4, depending on the teams and location. A best of 3 series with 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 with the games at the 1 and 2 sites would be much better attended and likely bring in a lot more money. Similar dynamics to an ACC baseball tournament, I would say. If you're in Charlotte and UNC is playing NC State, the game will be very well attended. When Virginia is playing Notre Dame, not so much.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Posted without comment

I get bitter every time I see Duke getting talented baseball players. Kinda cuts against the notion that facilities matter all that much. Respect for them managing to do it.

[Disclaimer: Perhaps I'm wrong about their facilities (overall). I just know they play most home games across town at the Bulls park... not on the field on campus]

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
I get bitter every time I see Duke getting talented baseball players. Kinda cuts against the notion that facilities matter all that much. Respect for them managing to do it.

[Disclaimer: Perhaps I'm wrong about their facilities (overall). I just know they play most home games across town at the Bulls park... not on the field on campus]
Their School is great. Small pretty and pretty and treed campus but their facilities are not good. Durham is horrific (I know and I can say that as I lived there for 3 years). By far The Worst facilities of everywhere we went.

I’m not kidding. There are high schools and D3s and JUCOs in Texas with way better facilities than Duke. The campus field is more of a turf practice field (no locker room). Weekend games at Durham Bulls ballpark. No pitching lab. It was not impressive at all.

Not sure about the BA rankings. In regards to PG - they are behind us in 2021 and they aren’t ranked as a program in top 25….

@GTNavyNuke what are they in your crystal ball?