Officiating

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
To be clear, the refs aren't why we lost.

But they were comically, questionably bad to the point where I think there should be some level of discipline.

Those last two calls looked like the refs just wanted the game to be over. I can see no PI on the 3rd down but it was surely defensive holding.

To swallow the whistle on that last call was egregiously bad to the point of negligence.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
To be clear, the refs aren't why we lost.

But they were comically, questionably bad to the point where I think there should be some level of discipline.

Those last two calls looked like the refs just wanted the game to be over. I can see no PI on the 3rd down but it was surely defensive holding.

To swallow the whistle on that last call was egregiously bad to the point of negligence.
That’s what makes it so bad. We were already gonna lose, and the refs go and pile it on. I’m proud of Coach Collins for showing his displeasure and not taking that BS lying down.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
1607659194814.png

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I normally don't get into the blasting the refs. But that "late hit" on Pickett from Juanyeh even had the announcers shaking their heads. That call created one of the longest strings of profanity I have ever let out in my lifetime, even during finals week at GT. My father, a Navy vet, may have never heaard the equivalent while he was a sailor. The quality of officiating (or lack thereof) trumped the play on the field as far as being the focal point of discussion amongst my viewing party.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I normally don't get into the blasting the refs. But that "late hit" on Pickett from Juanyeh even had the announcers shaking their heads. That call created one of the longest strings of profanity I have ever let out in my lifetime, even during finals week at GT. My father, a Navy vet, may have never heaard the equivalent while he was a sailor. The quality of officiating (or lack thereof) trumped the play on the field as far as being the focal point of discussion amongst my viewing party.

I didn't curse during finals week. Sobbed and drank alot.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
There are bad calls in football. The game moves fast and lots of calls could go either way or be no calls.

But I've never seen a game where all of the subjective calls went against one team. Pitt was holding repeatedly and never got called. They interfered with Camp (?) several times and never got called. The hit that took Sims out of the game was really borderline - not the hit, but driving him into the ground. Not called. But we pull off drilling the QB as he's crossing the sideline, bump him, and get a foul called? Our DT bumps their QB and gets a roughing call?

This was the worst, most unevenly called game I've ever seen. That crew should never work an ACC game again.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Officiating would have made a preacher cuss LOL!

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
My stepdad, who is a ND fan so he hates both GT and Pitt for ruining ND's seasons in the past, was even like, "What????" He said he has never seen a worse officiated game in his life. Ever.

Completely one-sided.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm always one to say that our play is sloppy and we need better discipline to handle the penalty situation. But wtf was that game? I legitimately can not believe the calls tonight.

It's like others have said, it's not that we lost, it's how we lost. We got torn up by the refs. When I tell you the whole stadium was screaming and booing the refs almost every down I mean it.

This was an absolute clown fiesta. And honestly one of the worst officiated games I've seen in the past 20 years. It is one thing to lose a game by your own mistakes and incompetence, because that can be fixed. But you cant fix an awful ref.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Someone explain to me how that last play wasn't PI. Defender was shoving him with two hands and never looked for the ball. That's pretty textbook interference.

And don't get me started on the offensive PI on the 2pt conversion.