Official Postgame: GT 23-Duke 20

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We could never run that offense given our OL. Their QB holds that mesh long enough (more than two seconds in some cases) to give their line enough time to open up a hole. If that was us, about a tenth of a second into the mesh, a defender would break free and blow it up.
He isn't doing it with 5* linemen either. Probably more like us (3 and 4*) but they are doing something pretty well with execution.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I would suggest that you wait until after the linemen have had several more weeks of actual game speed practice before you make declarative observations about their athletic ability.
Two weeks ago I would’ve laughed at you for suggesting that our line doesn’t practice at full speed / contact. :ROFLMAO:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Again, this is why I think whoever hires Bill O'Brien is going to get a VERY good coach that will probably win 9-11+ games a year depending on the situation (it'll be more like 7-9+ at GT). The guy was probably his own worst enemy at Houston, alienated star players, and still managed to win the division 4 out of 7 years, and had only 1 losing season (before he was fired his last season). Unlike the NFL where players make more than coaches and can undermine coaches, which pretty much got him fired his last season, in the college game it's a one way street. The coach's way or the highway.

He's going to develop talent (see his time at Penn State), give you a scheme advantage type coach, and his players will be disciplined. He's going to get a good job next year, and it will be interesting to see how that school does with him as HC. I'm an advocate for Brent Key if he goes 6-2 or better, but if GT hires O'Brien, I would not be disappointed at all.
O'Brien's a top-notch offensive mind, a versatile coach who can adapt his scheme to maximize his talent. A solid coach all around, with tons of good experience.
Yeah, I agree. Key wins 6 he ought to get the job but if not, we could do a lot worse than Bill O'Brien.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I really expect this line to be very good next year. Lots of young guys getting experience. Could all fall apart depending on the next HC. Transfer portal is not always your friend.
Funny, also two weeks ago a lot of us didn’t worry much that we would be decimated in the portal at the end of the year because there wasn’t much to be worried about losing. All of a sudden it looks like we have some nice contributors, players showing progress, and people to build on. I’m rooting for a little continuity but I am sure that whoever we get will be compelling enough to keep a lot of these guys here.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Funny, also two weeks ago a lot of us didn’t worry much that we would be decimated in the portal at the end of the year because there wasn’t much to be worried about losing. All of a sudden it looks like we have some nice contributors, players showing progress, and people to build on. I’m rooting for a little continuity but I am sure that whoever we get will be compelling enough to keep a lot of these guys here.
They may follow Key if he leaves. A lot of them came because of him.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

I've been recently noticing #75 Leftwich at OT and he is doing a pretty good job. The coaches seem to think a lot of #67 Fusile, and #60 Paula V is getting a lot of snaps. #54 Williams is getting some work at the other T, and #72 Franklin has locked down the C position. I am watching #55 Robinson, #71 Quick, #57 Tchio, and #62 Koots. #79 Lay is a senior and has played a lot in several spots over the past three years. Add in # 76 Green and #61 Maye and there seems to be enough athletic ability, size, and numbers for coaches to make something work, with some depth. It is "Key" to keep them.

We have a noticeable weakness at TE as we just do not have the numbers or quality or experience we need. I hope we have some quality freshmen onboard and they will quickly grow to fill this void, and/or the incoming portal helps us out.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I've been recently noticing #75 Leftwich at OT and he is doing a pretty good job. The coaches seem to think a lot of #67 Fusile, and #60 Paula V is getting a lot of snaps. #54 Williams is getting some work at the other T, and #72 Franklin has locked down the C position. I am watching #55 Robinson, #71 Quick, #57 Tchio, and #62 Koots. #79 Lay is a senior and has played a lot in several spots over the past three years. Add in # 76 Green and #61 Maye and there seems to be enough athletic ability, size, and numbers for coaches to make something work, with some depth. It is "Key" to keep them.

We have a noticeable weakness at TE as we just do not have the numbers or quality or experience we need. I hope we have some quality freshmen onboard and they will quickly grow to fill this void, and/or the incoming portal helps us out.
Absolutely!
I know this much... the one thing EVERYONE agreed on was the fact that we needed to rebuild an offensive line. Now that it seems there are signs of life in that regard, it would be a travesty to let it go. I would hope we correctly assess and retain a core group to build on so we aren’t in for another multi-year regression.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Anybody hear anything about about Sims and McCollum injuries?

Just searched, didn’t see any posts.
Preface by saying I know nothing definitive.... There were a couple of posts on Sims saying he is OK. Deep bruise and tightness but ought to be ready next week.
I’ve heard / seen nothing on McCollum