Official: Brent Key is Georgia Tech Football's Head Coach

MidtownJacket

Staff member
“Brent did a great job for us at Alabama and was fantastic as the interim head coach for Georgia Tech this year. I know he is excited to lead his alma mater, and he will do an excellent job as the Yellow Jackets’ head coach. Brent is a very passionate coach who works tirelessly at his craft. His players love to play for him, and he does a great job of putting them in situations to be successful. Brent has a wonderful family, and we are so very happy for him to have this opportunity at Georgia Tech”
Alabama head coach Nick Saban

Heady praise.

Source: https://ramblinwreck.com/brent-key-named-georgia-tech-footballs-21st-head-coach/

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Fritz was offered, asked us not to say anything, someone did and pissed Fritz off, he backed away perhaps with Tulane stuffing cash in his pocket, then Batt deciding that in the interest of keeping the program falling further away with the likes of the recent portal announcements and with perhaps Pyron bolting, he decided to get on the Key wagon.
I actually think that we did offer Fritz (and he accepted in principal) and it was going to be quiet until after his championship game, but some pro-Key folks didn't like it and leaked it to Ken to sabotage the deal - and then Fritz looked like crap negotiating for a job even though his season wasn't over, we looked bad not hiring Key (fans all pissed) and so GT and Fritz decided to not do the deal. I kind of think that Key may have Ken to thank for his getting this job. And poor Ken has egg on his face when he probably had good info.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I hope I am wrong.

Key was OL coach & Asst HC for arguably the worst stretch of football in our history. It is hard for me to see him getting past mediocrity, but he is my HC now. I will be rooting for him to prove me wrong like I did his last boss.
I was part of the senior staff of a multinational that failed. And when they tapped me to turn it around… I didn’t hesitate to change direction and staff. In 2 years we finished in the top quartile of best performing businesses.

It’s not always guilt by association. I was part of that staff.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I hope I am wrong.

Key was OL coach & Asst HC for arguably the worst stretch of football in our history. It is hard for me to see him getting past mediocrity, but he is my HC now. I will be rooting for him to prove me wrong like I did his last boss.
So why share it? SERIOUSLY. When people want to come on here and learn about our new coach you feel compelled to predict gloom and doom for no other reason than to cool the buzz. B.S.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I was part of the senior staff of a multinational that failed. And when they tapped me to turn it around… I didn’t hesitate to change direction and staff. In 2 years we finished in the top quartile of best performing businesses.

It’s not always guilt by association. I was part of that staff.
Agreed. My biggest hope is that he can make the hard decisions to let guys go where hiring improvements can be made. When you get to know guys as equals with families, these decisions can be very difficult.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I remember when Curry was hired. Norm van Brocklin said being a “Tech Man” made him puke.

The nighttime pep rallies were awesome. That’s where they introduced Buzz. Coeds wanted to have Curry’s baby.

The ND game of 1980. The win at Legion Field in 1981. Two of the three greatest games in my lifetime.

Key will be great. I’m finally looking forward to Tech football.
We've missed you on the optimistic train, but we kept your seat warm!

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
So why share it? SERIOUSLY. When people want to come on here and learn about our new coach you feel compelled to predict gloom and doom for no other reason than to cool the buzz. B.S.
What you call doom & gloom, I call facts & reality.

You have every right to your optimism. I would defend your right to say what you believe.

I am not as optimistic, & I have every right to communicate my opinion. You have every right to put me on “ignore” or scroll past my entries.