Official: Brent Key is Georgia Tech Football's Head Coach

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Not so different than corporate America as you have to consider a broke company attracting new hires. You can promote from within and pay less than competing with other companies for an external hire. That's what happened here.
Sure, but that doesn't make him an "oh, well" hire. It means they believe he can do the job for less than others wanted. Or they think that investing more into coordinators is more important than spending extra for the outside talent. But to say that we are 'settling' is exactly the kind of propaganda that the Athens HS Journal boys want to spread.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Most people don't know if they're the "oh well" hire, but it's probably more often than they'd think...

Whether Key has more inside info, or puts any credence into the millions of rumors, is something we also don't know. I don't think it'll be a big issue.

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't know if Fritz should be considered "Big" name
I would have been ok with Fritz, but you’re right. Not a “big name”. “Solid”… maybe…. Anyhow, I hope this ages better than my “AJC reporting Fritz is the guy” post. Haha. I think we are trending in the right way with Key. Pulling for him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Most people don't know if they're the "oh well" hire, but it's probably more often than they'd think...

Whether Key has more inside info, or puts any credence into the millions of rumors, is something we also don't know. I don't think it'll be a big issue.

Key knows he wasn't first choice. That's fine...you don't need to be the first choice, you just need to end up being the best choice. Time will tell, but hopefully Jacket nation can all unite now and let Key do his job. I'm excited to see what Key will do with his program now.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
If this is true, he earned the job on the fly. His interview process was the season. He took what I believed to be an existential catastrophe and made it respectable. He did it, at times, with a 3rd string QB against ranked competitors and a Heisman candidate. He needs to show that he can recruit and manage the program in the long term, but he has earned the chance to show he can do it. I feel a lot better about this decision than I ever did about the Collins hire.
Amen, brutha!

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Without seeing the contract I like what we have done.
CCL has another year on his 850M contract, even if we wanted to replace him, not saying we do, don't believe we have the $ to be buying him out.
My biggest hope now is we have enough NIL $ and Kenyatta SR. has some good players lined up for us. One thing about the new CFB is it keeps it interesting for a longer part of each year, probably more interesting than the coaches would like.