Official: Brent Key is Georgia Tech Football's Head Coach

CPJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Do you know something or just making up an accusation that Key wasn't the first choice? I bet you $ to donuts that they've only made one offer, and it was after a decision meeting this morning where they discussed all the candidates and decided on Key. That doesn't make him the "oh well" choice, it makes him The Choice.
Via ESPN other candidates whiffed on the idea of not having a certain amount of money guaranteed. J Batt is working with his hands tied behind his back b/c of the Collins 11M owed. Can't get your guy with a bad offer.

CPJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
So when we look to fill a company position, we often interview an internal staff covering the vacancy along with external personnel. No one is an “ Oh Well” choice, and salary expectations play into the decision along with competency. Why is BK different!
No, you interview in-house as a matter of principle. Leave no stone unturned, and see what you have at home. BUT, you don't entertain ladies from all over when you know you have your wife to be in the room all along..... so to say.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
No, you interview in-house as a matter of principle. Leave no stone unturned, and see what you have at home. BUT, you don't entertain ladies from all over when you know you have your wife to be in the room all along..... so to say.
That's actually not true, at least not a the large company where I work. We always interview external candidates. Partly to see what's out there and partly to make sure we have a diverse candidate pool.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
BUT, you don't entertain ladies from all over when you know you have your wife to be in the room all along..... so to say.
You don't????? Did they change the rules or has this always been the case? Asking for a friend.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Per espn now. Wonder if the Fritz thing was real and he backed out or if Ken really screwed up his sources

"Tech struggled to lure a big outside name because of the school's reluctance to guarantee large portions of the contract, with the amount of guaranteed money a nonstarter for some candidates."

We are rightfully in a spot where we can't guarantee a big contract, due to Collins
I think Fritz was offered, asked us not to say anything, someone did and pissed Fritz off, he backed away perhaps with Tulane stuffing cash in his pocket, then Batt deciding that in the interest of keeping the program falling further away with the likes of the recent portal announcements and with perhaps Pyron bolting, he decided to get on the Key wagon.

CPJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
That's actually not true, at least not a the large company where I work. We always interview external candidates. Partly to see what's out there and partly to make sure we have a diverse candidate pool.
Not so different than corporate America as you have to consider a broke company attracting new hires. You can promote from within and pay less than competing with other companies for an external hire. That's what happened here.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If what Joe Hamilton said was true which I see no reason for him to fabricate that story supposedly Weinke was calling plays past 2 weeks. If so sounds like to me Long isn't gonna be the OC?
I just can't see Key cutting Long after one season when Long was the guy he recommended in the first place. Im also not sure we can afford it.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
If this is true, he earned the job on the fly. His interview process was the season. He took what I believed to be an existential catastrophe and made it respectable. He did it, at times, with a 3rd string QB against ranked competitors and a Heisman candidate. He needs to show that he can recruit and manage the program in the long term, but he has earned the chance to show he can do it. I feel a lot better about this decision than I ever did about the Collins hire.