Official: Brent Key is Georgia Tech Football's Head Coach

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer

Per espn now. Wonder if the Fritz thing was real and he backed out or if Ken really screwed up his sources

"Tech struggled to lure a big outside name because of the school's reluctance to guarantee large portions of the contract, with the amount of guaranteed money a nonstarter for some candidates."

We are rightfully in a spot where we can't guarantee a big contract, due to Collins

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
Well Chadwell was 1a and Key was 1b for me our program is in need for stability and just going out and playing football. We seen some positive things in a short window with the staff and players. Reality is turning to be bowl-eligible 6-8 win team over next 3 seasons and see if we can put ourselves somewhere in that top 3rd of ACC...Honestly anybody thinking we gonna be playing for ACC titles in a year or two with some miracle coach hire was delusional and steady wins the race for getting this program upright.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow

Per espn now. Wonder if the Fritz thing was real and he backed out or if Ken really screwed up his sources

"Tech struggled to lure a big outside name because of the school's reluctance to guarantee large portions of the contract, with the amount of guaranteed money a nonstarter for some candidates."

We are rightfully in a spot where we can't guarantee a big contract, due to Collins
I don't know if Fritz should be considered "Big" name

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Per espn now. Wonder if the Fritz thing was real and he backed out or if Ken was really screwed by his sources

FIFY

85Escape

Helluva Engineer

I'm guessing they had pre-worked deals to find out where everyone was and brought the viable ones into a decision meeting. They weighed them all on all factors and made a decision. That's how hiring decisions are made in big organizations, not one candidate at a time.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
GT better be glad Key really wants this job. Most folks don't take well to being the "oh well" choice. Whatever, let's see how he changes the staff. Go Jackets!!!!
Do you know something or just making up an accusation that Key wasn't the first choice? I bet you $ to donuts that they've only made one offer, and it was after a decision meeting this morning where they discussed all the candidates and decided on Key. That doesn't make him the "oh well" choice, it makes him The Choice.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
GT better be glad Key really wants this job. Most folks don't take well to being the "oh well" choice. Whatever, let's see how he changes the staff. Go Jackets!!!!
I think he does, and I think he also understands how this "game" of coaching carosel is played. He was never concerned about it in press conferences and mentioned that the best way to get a good job was to do a good job. He doesn't strike me as the whining big ego type, but I could be wrong.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Don't hate the players, hate the game. For all the things I can criticize Collins for, this ain't one of them. He and his agent beat our guy(s) at the negotiating table fair and square. Good for him. That's business. We are in the shape we are in due to the decisions made by our last 4 or 5 AD's collectively. I know this opinion will be as popular as wool underwear on this site but here it is nonetheless.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Don't hate the players, hate the game. For all the things I can criticize Collins for, this ain't one of them. He and his agent beat our guy(s) at the negotiating table fair and square. Good for him. That's business. We are in the shape we are in due to the decisions made by our last 4 or 5 AD's collectively. I know this opinion will be as popular as wool underwear on this site but here it is nonetheless.
I don’t hate Collins because of his contract. TStan though…

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
So when we look to fill a company position, we often interview an internal staff covering the vacancy along with external personnel. No one is an “ Oh Well” choice, and salary expectations play into the decision along with competency. Why is BK different!