Offensive Scheme Q&A Thread

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
One of the posters put up video after one or both of those games with an explanation of why the scheme changed. As I recall it was pretty right on. Sorry but I can't remember who. Maybe somebody can remember who.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well, to get it back to schem, Belly is a straight bback give. Belly Option is a qb-aback double option with bback as blocker.
What we have here is a failure to communicate. But seriously, that makes sense because the plays were straight handoffs. thanks.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Look, not to prolong a spat that must bore everybody to tears, but I did not write that we "abandoned" it. I said we "essentially" abandoned it, then itemized the slants/dives/options the first three drives of the second half. Can't remember now but I think there was one rocket toss, one option, one or two QB keepers, and the rest were Days/Laskey driving off the tackle hole. My question(s) had to do with what was the play being called, what did Johnson see in the first half that he blew Georgia and MSU up in the second -- I am not conversant enough with line blocking and arc blocking to figure it out, though having Mason pull down the line was key to it I think -- and then the unanswerable question: why on god's earth did not MSU do something, anything, to counter it? Up to and including throwing the cheerleaders into the fray.

Sorry I think we are probably just talking past each other then. Bunch of different ways to characterize the belly in a bunch of different offenses. The way I understand it in ours is that we pull a guard to the outside and then bounce the BB off the guard (as opposed to a dive where the BB is hitting an inside hole and there is no need to pull). Only point I was making is that we weren't just running it inside (which I thought you were implying) but instead were bouncing it outside off a pulling guard (which you believe and I agree was important).

No idea why MSU didn't counter. I remembered reading that was a big surprise to everyone. Uga wasn't as much the belly play as it was we were just getting great pushes off the ball and pushing their line 4-5 yards downfield every play. We could have just ran the ball straight forward for 4 yards every time with the way our line was blocking.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We seem to have developed a reputation of ineptitude in our 2 minute offense. I personally think we have more of a red zone problem in the 2 minute. My personal point of view is that we have largely been able to move the ball fairly well in the 2 minute drill. We just have failed to punch those drives in for scores too often. It may be fair, at least in my mind, to say we struggle in obvious passing downs when we have a short field to work in. Does this opinion jive with what you guys have seen or am I alone on a desert isle?
It probably is more accurate to say we had such a reputation when Nesbitt, TW and Lee were the QBs. But off the top of my head in '14 GSU, VT, Georgia, FSU and maybe MSU would dispute it now. Just realized that is a very impressive list: five of 14 games we ran the table late. Next: stopping the other guys in the 2-minute.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Really dude? The one right above...where u quote me on the passing game. Pretty sure it was pre season and in response to a discussion about our perceived problems in the red zone. Just wondering what the relevance of that very old post was / is.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Really dude? The one right above...where u quote me on the passing game. Pretty sure it was pre season and in response to a discussion about our perceived problems in the red zone. Just wondering what the relevance of that very old post was / is.
Don't know I'm a dude, whatever that is, but if it was from a long-ago post, I missed that and apologize. All better now?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Also for clarification....

dude
Translate Button
[dood, dyood]

noun
a man excessively concernedwith his clothes, grooming, andmanners.
Slang.
  1. a fellow; chap.
  2. (a general term of addressused to a man, woman, orgroup).
Sorry if the reference offended. All better now?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Who is moving to center? If Marshall's injury keeps him out and with Brigham gone is Muns ready to be the backup? If not who moves over to C? We have adequate depth elsewhere but C seems to be a ?