Offensive Line Play (one game in)

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I had to primarily listen to the game (I recommend the game day app) and so have not yet gotten to watch the game in detail. However, since there is not yet a thread to stimulate and house discussion of this year's offensive line I am starting one.

My first comment is that while I like having Sean Bedford on analysis he has not fully taken up one thing that Roddy did which I loved him for; namely, specifying the play call and even describing the blocking scheme and technique used. I think Roddy injected those facts more readily than Bedford did in his first game on air. Kind of odd in the sense that Sean is the former OLineman. I expect him to develop that habit as he goes along. He was great mind you, that is just a possible area of improvement towards perfection.

Shout out to @flea77 for correctly predicting that his son Will was going to prove too "impatient" to take a redshirt. Instead, he clearly busted his backside and developed his talent to the point that he saw the field early and often. (Honestly, given how early he committed it kind of feels like he is a redshirt sophomore at this point to me. I had to remind myself to be impressed he was in the game, his first possible).

The same goes for @Coachbraun72. We would love to hear both you and Flea's thoughts on how the offensive line looked the first time out there. Especially as pretty much everyone got to see some snaps.

Ok, as you can see I don't have a lot of insight to offer, this is basically a plea for others to show up and discuss the backbone of the offense.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
My take from game observation: First team OL looked like the OB. First subs were Klock and Bryan with no noticeable dropoff against this competition. Next subs included A Marshall and Fromayan. I did not see much dropoff and that came with a QB change as well. DEVINE WAS IN THERE UNTIL 3 MINUTES BEFORE HALFTIME. When the 3rd G, G, C, and T came in there in the second half there was no O production. CPJ said that he thought about playing Jordan at QB but Swilling was doing so well (sarcasm) that he could not take him out. The 3rd OL looked like the second team O in the Spring Game, no O production. I think we have 9 O linemen ready to play. The others need more development.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
From watching at the game last night and the video today Tech has a very very solid 2 deep on the O Line. The starting 5 did exactly what you would expect and I was very pleased with what I saw from Klock and young Will ;) When I saw them come in the game I made sure to keep a close eye and was impressed with both. You could definitely see the mean streak in Will that wee all saw in his HS video and Klock just jumped out me with very solid technique!

Oh and Devine? Just plain filthy, he reminds of a an O lineman a few years back in that, don't let him get his hands on you or you're going to where HE wants you to go! His conditioning is getting better and better. He is an absolute beast when it comes to his run blocking.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
G-C-G was surging. I mentioned it in another thread, but go back and watch Qua's big gainer on the 3O. That's Burden running along with him, looking for someone to block. Unreal. We have the most athletic and fast OL in the nation, and FB may go down as CPJ's all-time greatest center.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
With Shaq Mason leading the way could we start seeing a steady line of Tech offensive linemen getting drafted?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just one point.
The Alcorn dl was undersized and imo werent that fast. Just checked unc dl that held tough agajnst south carolina = +30# on alcorn.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Just one point.
The Alcorn dl was undersized and imo werent that fast. Just checked unc dl that held tough agajnst south carolina = +30# on alcorn.

Don't post that stuff on this board. Alcorn St. Would have blown out the current Top 10 even if they'd played them back to back with no rest. Anything other than that narrative will get you in trouble.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This game gave us no reason to believe anything other than what we did before hand, which is the best outcome this game could have in that regard.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I competition will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks. sure would enjoy the o-line dominating the next two weeks.

Last edited:

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
I watched the replay last night and was specifically watching Shamire. I LOL'd on at least 2 occasions where it looked like he just fell forward and pancaked 2 defenders in a pile. I also noticed that when he pulled and ran east-west it wasn't always a thing of beauty. :p