Offensive line learning curve

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
I am no coach, but is our offensive system tougher to coach and or learn than other offensive line systems like say Alabama's pro set and Clemson's spread offensive , Does the spread option what we run cause more practice time to perfect?

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
The run blocking scheme isn't really that hard. It's basically one assignment per play. You get your man, or chip though a player to get to your man. Not complicated at all. As far as pass blocking, nothing should be dramatically different except the fact that they never go to a 2 point stance or stagger stances. Not to beat the dead horse, but Sewak is garbage. I could teach the kids better.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The run blocking scheme isn't really that hard. It's basically one assignment per play. You get your man, or chip though a player to get to your man. Not complicated at all. As far as pass blocking, nothing should be dramatically different except the fact that they never go to a 2 point stance or stagger stances. Not to beat the dead horse, but Sewak is garbage. I could teach the kids better.
Suggest giving CPJ a call then...

Our Oline has to make reads, pull, etc. like other teams. Biggest difference to my understanding is limited or no zone blocking.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sorry, but I feel you are over-simplifying things a bit. I think there is a great deal asked of our OLs in this system. I have never been around to see what Sewak is doing, one way or the other to make any kind of judgement. Do I think there have been gaps in execution and failure in assignments at times? Absolutely, especially out on the perimeter and at the second level. However, from my vantage point it is just hard to know the root cause.

Call me a crappy coach or whatever, but over the years I have seen my kids make me look really incompetent at times. I have covered stuff emphatically, backwards and forwards, in practice only to have it screwed up during games. It is just difficult as a fan to pinpoint.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
On this question, I would advise consulting the GSU and Navy play books already cited here. Playing OL in our system is much, much more complicated then what you find in other Os. Zone blocking schemes and the blocking schemes used in other spread option schemes really are simple since the backs are reading the initial blocks and reacting to them, In our scheme it is the other way around; the OLs are supposed to make specific blocks on specific plays, blocks that change with every formation and every declaration of the strong side (remember, that happens on every play and nobody knows which side until the QB calls it).

I was an OL in high school and college. I couldn't have keep track of what I'm supposed to do from play to play in our O if my life depended on it. Today the main enjoyment I get from Tech games is trying to figure out what the OL is doing from play to play. Good thing we normally get smart kids. And they still miss blocks all the time.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
On this question, I would advise consulting the GSU and Navy play books already cited here. Playing OL in our system is much, much more complicated then what you find in other Os. Zone blocking schemes and the blocking schemes used in other spread option schemes really are simple since the backs are reading the initial blocks and reacting to them, In our scheme it is the other way around; the OLs are supposed to make specific blocks on specific plays, blocks that change with every formation and every declaration of the strong side (remember, that happens on every play and nobody knows which side until the QB calls it).

I was an OL in high school and college. I couldn't have keep track of what I'm supposed to do from play to play in our O if my life depended on it. Today the main enjoyment I get from Tech games is trying to figure out what the OL is doing from play to play. Good thing we normally get smart kids. And they still miss blocks all the time.
I think you are spot on with this. I remember the 2009 game against uga. The line changed it blocking pattern on almost every play. Zone is pretty much hit the guy right in front of you. In Tech's offense you have very specfic assignments depending on the play, the blocking scheme called in by the coach and what the defense is running. I also don't think other offense require the line to get to the next level as often as Tech's.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
I
Sorry, but I feel you are over-simplifying things a bit. I think there is a great deal asked of our OLs in this system. I have never been around to see what Sewak is doing, one way or the other to make any kind of judgement. Do I think there have been gaps in execution and failure in assignments at times? Absolutely, especially out on the perimeter and at the second level. However, from my vantage point it is just hard to know the root cause.

Call me a crappy coach or whatever, but over the years I have seen my kids make me look really incompetent at times. I have covered stuff emphatically, backwards and forwards, in practice only to have it screwed up during games. It is just difficult as a fan to pinpoint.
I know I'm wayyyyy over simplifying it. I played OL and DL for one of Johnson's former players at southern. From how the defense lines up depends on who the assignment is, but to me it was really simple to see who I was blocking, even if it was a counter trap.

My main beef with sewak is the lack of fundamentals the OL displays. I've seen guys take the wrong first step in the run game(a cardinal sin IMO), horrible attempts at blocks where OLs lay down(the cut block is not flop at the LBs knees), and most noticibley horrible footwork the pass protection(sometimes I wonder if they have been taught the concept of a pocket). All in all, I see too many little things going wrong on the OL for me to lay blame on anyone else but sewak.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I

I know I'm wayyyyy over simplifying it. I played OL and DL for one of Johnson's former players at southern. From how the defense lines up depends on who the assignment is, but to me it was really simple to see who I was blocking, even if it was a counter trap.

My main beef with sewak is the lack of fundamentals the OL displays. I've seen guys take the wrong first step in the run game(a cardinal sin IMO), horrible attempts at blocks where OLs lay down(the cut block is not flop at the LBs knees), and most noticibley horrible footwork the pass protection(sometimes I wonder if they have been taught the concept of a pocket). All in all, I see too many little things going wrong on the OL for me to lay blame on anyone else but sewak.
Fair enough.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
easy scheme to learn...hard to execute because its asking bigger guys to block small faster guys in unorthodox fashion...hence why we whiff on blocks alot. Its one reason why teams moved to zone blocking in the history of football.
I

can't say it better myself. There are basics we are not doing right. Regardless of scheme.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you are spot on with this. I remember the 2009 game against uga. The line changed it blocking pattern on almost every play. Zone is pretty much hit the guy right in front of you. In Tech's offense you have very specfic assignments depending on the play, the blocking scheme called in by the coach and what the defense is running. I also don't think other offense require the line to get to the next level as often as Tech's.

Strange, that does not sound like a high-school offense that does not prepare you for the next level.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
easy scheme to learn...hard to execute because its asking bigger guys to block small faster guys in unorthodox fashion...hence why we whiff on blocks alot. Its one reason why teams moved to zone blocking in the history of football.

can't say it better myself. There are basics we are not doing right. Regardless of scheme.
Not to argue your point, but how is it we didn't have these problems earlier? Sewak's been here from the get go. I know we used to have 2 OL coaches in the beginning.

hdgtfan

Georgia Tech Fan
Not to argue your point, but how is it we didn't have these problems earlier? Sewak's been here from the get go. I know we used to have 2 OL coaches in the beginning.
Isn't our new ST coach also helping with the O line or did I imagine that?

There are way too many posts griping about the single O line coach in recent years for there not to be a problem or do others think he is being made a scapegoat unfairly?

I know nothing about O line coaching but there are LOTS of complaints here and on other boards that either imply or state outright that he is a weak link on the staff

And if he is a big part of the Oline performance being less than we need and expect then why won't CPJ make that change? He is now on his third D coordinator since '08 so he seems willing to make staff changes other than this one.

Personal loyalty only goes so far when your high paid job may very well be on the line(pun intended). I just don't get that

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with 33jacket. CPJ's system is no harder to learn than other systems, maybe even a little easier than others, but executing is much harder. Our OLinemen are on an island for the most part against bigger defensive linemen.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Spencer was a lot better coach than sewak and also a lot better at recruiting. when he left and sewak inherited the entire O-Line.... The word dumpster fire comes to mind.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Well it's interesting. It seems like we've had some OL play really well but others not.

Bedford, Finch, Uzzi, Mason, & the big tackle who had to take a medical have all been really good for us. Other players have struggled.

Seems like coaching is one aspect and recruiting is another.

Hopefully the new ST coach does a good job on the OL. Is he working with the tackles, or G-C-G?