Offensive Gameplan

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Old school mentality . My high school coach would run the ball up the middle on 3rd and 30 almost every time . Down 40-0 made no difference he was gonna do what he does , Then punt

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
It shouldn't have, since he was still practicing with the team, wasn't he?

Graham directly stated that he was waaaaay more focused on being a student in the spring than being an athlete. There’s an interview that was posted here a while back where stated this. This, and the fact he earned one of those coveted single digits, is why I’ve always felt that he’ll likely be the man. I’m too lazy to look up the interview and repost it, but it’s in the fall camp thread I believe.

Graham directly stated that he was waaaaay more focused on being a student in the spring than being an athlete. There’s an interview that was posted here a while back where stated this. This, and the fact he earned one of those coveted single digits, is why I’ve always felt that he’ll likely be the man. I’m too lazy to look up the interview and repost it, but it’s in the fall camp thread I believe.
OK. Makes sense.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Old school mentality . My high school coach would run the ball up the middle on 3rd and 30 almost every time . Down 40-0 made no difference he was gonna do what he does , Then punt

How often were y’all in 3rd and 30? If frequently the poor guy was probably driven to alcoholism. :D

White_Gold

GT Athlete
What should it be?

I’ll hang up and listen

It’s really hard to say. Can’t see the WRs routes.

That being said-

I don’t recall any quick screens, slants, quick outs or any kind of short passing game. Can our guys really not throw that well that we don’t even attempt it? Those routes and other short passing game route concepts can be used despite our guys not blocking well.

Until we can do that and show some semblance of a passing game, other teams will stack the box. I know you know that!

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Before the season started and since...the OC has said repeatedly that he would be putting in a player based offense. Which makes sense in a transition year. If he's doing that...I can't tell. We are doing many of te same things we did last year with a limited playbook...relying heavily on Oliver running a sweep over an over for instance. I see no inovation. We are not involving out TE much, or our slot receivers we have so many of. I kept hearing "we will be multiple" on O...but it's real hard to see. What we are doing is running right at teams out of a shotgun on short yardage, motioning defenders into the box as we do it.
You can't tell me our players are that talent-less. They are not. It's how they are being used.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I've posted this multiple times:

Yes, KSU's D is better then ours, at least by a little. But watch the O they run. Then tell me Tobias couldn't run that; Ertz was a low three star dual-threat QB (.8169), just like Tobias was (.8423). I might add that KSU's recruiting rankings during Snyder's time at Manhattan were a good deal worse then Tech's: the average rank (247) for Tech from 2018 - 2010 = 51, for KSU = 63. They out recruited us in 2014 and 2015. That's it.

So, here's a gameplan for you:

1. Call Bill Synder.

2. Offer him all the money in the world come to Atlanta and stay for 4 days to watch film.

3. Ask him politely what we should do.

4. DO IT.

Last edited:

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Before the season started and since...the OC has said repeatedly that he would be putting in a player based offense. Which makes sense in a transition year. If he's doing that...I can't tell. We are doing many of te same things we did last year with a limited playbook...relying heavily on Oliver running a sweep over an over for instance. I see no inovation. We are not involving out TE much, or our slot receivers we have so many of. I kept hearing "we will be multiple" on O...but it's real hard to see. What we are doing is running right at teams out of a shotgun on short yardage, motioning defenders into the box as we do it.
You can't tell me our players are that talent-less. They are not. It's how they are being used.

This feels much like Dabo and Clemson. Didn’t take off until he brought Morris in who was creative.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Gus Malzahn playbook till we can get QB and Oline for “pro style”, even then i prefer the former. Read option, inverted veer, inside/outside zone, RPOs, motion sweeps, PA off those, screens, bootlegs, and air raid short passing game concepts( mesh, shallow crosses, levels, etc).

Here’s a question, can coach Key override coach P on calls as he is the asst. head coach? I know his record, but seems like everyone wants anyone other than coach P making the calls.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
How often were y’all in 3rd and 30? If frequently the poor guy was probably driven to alcoholism. :D

Best season for my high school during my entire 12 years of school in the district was 6-4. It happened once. Lost the first round of the playoffs. Several no win seasons and several 1 or 2 win seasons. The best record while I was actually at the school was 3-7. Messed up thing was that my middle school won the Region championship 3 times, wonder what happened in high school ?

Animal02

Banned
Best season for my high school during my entire 12 years of school in the district was 6-4. It happened once. Lost the first round of the playoffs. Several no win seasons and several 1 or 2 win seasons. The best record while I was actually at the school was 3-7. Messed up thing was that my middle school won the Region championship 3 times, wonder what happened in high school ?
I had the opposite experience......school had not had a winning season since it opened ten years early..freshman year they went 0-8-1, while the freshman team went 5-0, 6-4 as soph, 8-2 as jr and 9-1 as a senior and ranked 2nd in the state (no playoffs back then)

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Given that the new coaching staff, particularly for offense, presumably has a philosophy of fitting the offense to the players -- it seems to this mere fan that in transition year 1, you stick to a run-heavy offense (as has been done) but keep plenty of option features; year 2, less so; year 3, even less so, as the players recruited for the previous regime eventually move on.

Go ahead, do it out of a shotgun and/or pistol since you insist. For example, see what little Davidson does with its "gun triple-option." Look at

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Aman white_ gold I agree 1000 pct. I have watch 2 games no screens , slant passes or draw plays. Football. 101.

We ran a screen Sat and the receiver didn't make his block or even look like he tried to make his block and the play was blown up for a loss.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope to see something with Graham and T. Oliver. What ever we choose it has to hit quick because we are struggling blocking anyone.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
After LJ gets injured in the second half. The O is clicking with TO and Mason running the ball. We got behind the chains because of that poorly run TE screen. We should line up with TO and Mason in the backfield and 2 receivers split out on each side. We had 7 in the box with a safety over top. We ran option and inside RB runs. They didn't have enough to cover us inside the box with a running QB. Also kept them honest withe vertical completion from Camp. What happens right after that, our defense struggles to stop them. Then TO returns it to the Citadel 48 yard line with 1:39 left. LJ comes in. Protection breaks down on several of the plays and he gets sacked. We get a completion over the middle to bring up 3rd and 12. What do we do to convert, run the speed option. Writing is on the wall of what we need to do to succeed. It looked like we finally saw that. OT we try the same thing but call a slow developing triple option play on 2nd down that just looked awkward. We also motioned the back in bringing another defender for the O to block.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Some who seem to know more than me seem to be saying what I'd do.

I think we should run a Zone-blocking based option scheme. So, you get the OL up into 2pt, start teaching the fundamentals of what you want to get to but then still take advantage of the skill guys you have as well as the athleticism of the OL.

I'd use more roll-out passing concepts, e.g. pulling a tackle or TE for added protection.