Offensive Game Plan

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm just totally speculating here. But I'm sure our coaches are realistic. Much more realistic than some on this board. What was our chance of upsetting Clemson? 1-in-30? I wonder if any other new head coach has ever had his first game against the defending national champ and consensus preseason #1 at their place? Not to mention with a completely new system. If so, it cannot be many. I seriously can't think of a worse scenario for a football team.

I think they came up with a plan that maximized that slim chance. Once it became clear that wasn't going to work, doing anything else- trying more risk-reward plays, wasn't going to affect the outcome.

At that point, what mattered most was getting out of the situation with the team's physical and mental health intact. So, stick to the plan and grind it out. Start the real plan next week.

I also think that's why TO was QB1 for the game. He was the only QB who's played in a big environment before (VT) and they weren't putting him in a position to fail big. TO had some good runs and positives to take away. Asking LJ or Graham to take their first meaningful snaps in that environment against maybe the best secondary in the country, under constant pass rush. Not good for a player's development.

I agree 100%, we had very little chance and CGC wanted to get out of there to play the teams we have a legitimate shot at.

The bigger issue is the competitive aspect, it’s hard to swallow what ultimately is a mindset that says you expect to lose.

I think the environment is exactly what you need to putJohnson or Graham into, makes every other game feel small

I’m that frog with his head in the storks throat, my hands would be wrapped around your neck until you can swallow

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I have one comment on our game plan.

Mason needs to get the ball 18 - 25 times every ball game. If he does, everything we are doing gets easier.

Oh, and ewe need to still have a QB who can run the ball. The combo will make every pass play work much better as well. But I expect the coaches are already thinking along these lines.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I have one comment on our game plan.

Mason needs to get the ball 18 - 25 times every ball game. If he does, everything we are doing gets easier.

Oh, and ewe need to still have a QB who can run the ball. The combo will make every pass play work much better as well. But I expect the coaches are already thinking along these lines.
I endorse these ideas (both of 'em). But I still want more balance between runs and passes...

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Watching the OU - Houston game. OU's plays are beautiful. Great designed plays.

Going to watch this game again...our QBs have the skillset to run what Lincoln Riley is running with Hurts. Hope Patenaude is taking notes.
The Leach offense has always been a thing of beauty. Hurts does not throw a pretty ball but as long as you know who to throw to you can put up great numbers.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I endorse these ideas (both of 'em). But I still want more balance between runs and passes...
They will also pass to the rb.

Against Clemson i was suprised and very pleased to see that Grahmn had green light to throw long. Iirc we had three and he did a good job of putting ball in good position.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
They will also pass to the rb.

Against Clemson i was suprised and very pleased to see that Grahmn had green light to throw long. Iirc we had three and he did a good job of putting ball in good position.
I like Grahmn but Wonder how much of the playbook he really knows. Remember at spring practice he was trying to get eligible to play , which he did a good job and accomplished that goal. Maybe as the season progresses he will be a starter.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Watching the OU - Houston game. OU's plays are beautiful. Great designed plays.

Going to watch this game again...our QBs have the skillset to run what Lincoln Riley is running with Hurts. Hope Patenaude is taking notes.

I want to have Lincoln Riley's babies. At least 900 of them.

When Techster and others talk about "offensive innovation" ... go watch OU's 3rd drive: I wish we ran his Power Raid offense.

The key to his offensive scheme is mixing Air Raid plus power running schemes. It seems like in this day and age of 4-wide, 1-back sets, it would be impossible to do, but seriously, just watch that 3rd drive:

Key on the "counter trey" action by the G and T - on nearly every play they have a key role in either freezing linebackers or acting as lead blockers. And as @Techster mentioned, we have the QBs with the skillset to do this type of thing. Not only that, our linemen are used to the blocking scheme: remember the QB counter where the backside G and T pulled and led for the QB? Same action.

Watch this first play and drool. Watch 3 LB's get completely frozen by the pulling linemen making this double-option play work for a first down.

I, took hope Patenaude is taking notes.

As for the game plan, someone already mentioned it, but when you're down 21-0 in the 1st you know a whoopin's coming ... so I wouldn't be surprised if CGC told Patenaude, "shorten the game, run it".

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know what team some of you think we're talking about. We're talking about Tech- GEORGIA TECH.

Less than zero percent chance we would have had any success trying to run a pass-heavy offense in Game 1 against Clemson's starting D. In a fantasy-world alternate universe where we have a completely different roster, ok, maybe. But in the real world, our QBs went (by my count) 3/12, with 3 sacks and 2 interceptions outside 'garbage time'.

So, don't suggest not passing more was 'expecting to lose'. We'd have gotten rocked so much harder if we'd tried to sling it around. Our best chance to win, our best success, was running the ball, so that's what we did - trying to win.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what team some of you think we're talking about. We're talking about Tech- GEORGIA TECH.

Less than zero percent chance we would have had any success trying to run a pass-heavy offense in Game 1 against Clemson's starting D. In a fantasy-world alternate universe where we have a completely different roster, ok, maybe. But in the real world, our QBs went (by my count) 3/12, with 3 sacks and 2 interceptions outside 'garbage time'.

So, don't suggest not passing more was 'expecting to lose'. We'd have gotten rocked so much harder if we'd tried to sling it around. Our best chance to win, our best success, was running the ball, so that's what we did - trying to win.

Yep.

The interesting thing will be seeing what identity we settle in on as we go forward.

Kmur5

Georgia Tech Fan
There's a difference between disinterested and being fired up to play. You don't get fired up to play up 40. You just don't. I'm sorry. Psychology is wild.

You’re showing a complete lack of wisdom on the mindset of these star athletes. These players are all fiercely competitive, just lacking a little something thus far, otherwise each would be starters for Clemson.

Kickoff game in national spotlight? An opportunity to flash skillet and move up the depth chart? Making a splash play and becoming a feature story in their hometown newspaper?

Yeah, they were probably just disinterested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yep.

The interesting thing will be seeing what identity we settle in on as we go forward.

Indeed. I don't think we can take away much from what we saw Thursday. We don't even have a confirmed starting quarterback yet. We'll know a lot more after Saturday.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To be truthful, I was expecting at least 65-35 run ratio (I think I said as much on this board at some point), and I got more than that. I am at peace with the calls honestly. TO needed to start. Monday morning QBs have been around forever and never help a darned thing. On to the next game. There is a lot of FB left.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I’d love to be a fly on the wall during the offensive coaches’ pregame planning meetings before the South Florida game.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow

What we are suggesting is that maybe, just maybe, outside of garbage time we were 3/12 because of the QB, which no one can deny, is not the passing QB.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We are all just arm-chair OC's, these guys are working with the SA's every day. They know more about football, and coaching football, than pretty much anyone on this Board. So, although I didn't like what I saw on Thursday night, I'm going to take a step back and say maybe they know a little more about what we can and cannot do at this point. Are they infallable? No! But I think the coaches know what the kids can and cannot do, and will put them in plays that they think the kids can execute successfully. It might just be that right now, at this moment, against Clemson, what we saw was our best shot. Against USF and almost all, if not all, of the rest of our opponents, we will not be facing the stout defense of the defending National Champions coupled with a highly potent offense.

I think everyone needs to pump the brakes a little here. There's been too much criticism and belly-aching about what the current staff did and didn't do on Thursday. If we go out and lay an egg against USF, then I think we will all know where we stand and how far we have to go. Personally, I think we dismantle USF on both sides of the ball. We're still going to have episodes where USF is going to be successful, and the score may reflect that. But, when all is said and done, I think we will dominate this game. Just don't kick the ball to that sophomore return guy.