Offensive Evolution, yea or nay?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
A recent discussion I had with a fellow poster got me wondering what the rest of the board thinks on this topic. Has our offense become more complex over time or has it stayed the same? I know the core plays are the same, though there's no doubt we've added some, but I'm talking about the wrinkles and changes in blocking throughout the game that drive opposing DC's and defensive players nuts. Is the O we run now just as easy to execute as the O we ran in say '08 and '09? I'm not going to present an argument either way in this, I'd just like to hear what you guys have to say.

megatron

Jolly Good Fellow
Paul Johnson always has wrinkles based on what other defenses are doing. I just think, as other defenses adapt their games and gameplans, we are seeing him dig a bit deeper in his bag of tricks.

Against FSU in 08/09 (the home game), I remember us going with wider splits to isolate their linebackers and JD had a field day running up the middle. In the first season, I remember us going an entire game setting up the counter option to the B-back.

The difference last year is we had a QB and an offensive line combined with senior-laden skill positions that allowed CPJ to go a bit deeper in the playbook.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I would say the complexity comes when CPJ has the play makers to create mismatches. I don't think CPJ has "added" a lot that he did not already have in his bag of tricks. The D just looks silly when a LB is one on one with JT in space. He forces the D to overcome their own weaknesses. IMO it is the running version of what Chip Kelly did at Oregon. Put your skill players one on one with defenders in space. The caveat with CPJ's system is that when the teams are evenly matched, he finds ways (motion, unblocked defenders, etc) to get a numbers advantage.

Back in 08 he ran plays that made people take on Bebe, JD, and Nesbitt. Those three were a difficult combo to defend. Similar to JT, Laskey/Days, and Smelter. The difference is that JT could throw better, and had better speed. CPJ forces the D to play fast against our O. That is not easy.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with the poster above me. I don't think it is more complex. I do believe there was more play variety over the course of last year than the couple years previous because we weren't messing around with the pistol formations but each game there was about the same variety as '09. Also as the poster above mentioned it is all about what we can do well and what the defense is trying to do to us that effects our game plan and play call.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
A bigger offensive line along with a QB who can really run this offense at another level based on his quickness and speed to the outside puts tremendous pressure on a defense.

What folks also forget is that the triple option has a base set with two A-Backs in the slot making it an offense that has no strong or weakside set. The defense has to not only react instantly at the snap of the ball, but also has the disadvantage of not being able to match up as they normally do against a strong side TE set; trips to one side of the field; or a back aligned either to the left or right of the QB in the backfield in the NCAA spread set shotgun that everyone else runs as their base formation.

With a much bigger offensive line the myth of time to prepare is quickly going down the drain.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
No, offense we ran last season is more complex than '08/'09. Offense we'll run this year will be more complex than last. I've always said wait/have patience, PJ is building a monster. It's here!!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
No, offense we ran last season is more complex than '08/'09. Offense we'll run this year will be more complex than last. I've always said wait/have patience, PJ is building a monster. It's here!!

How do you define "more complex?" If one were to look for data in support of this claim, for what sort of data would they look?

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
How do you define "more complex?" If one were to look for data in support of this claim, for what sort of data would they look?
The data I'd look to is Number of unique plays in a game. Number of plays with just different blocking schemes used per game. Things like that.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think it's more complex to the point that CPJ was changing blocking schemes on the fly last year. He had a lot of experience on the Offense last year, so I think he was able to do things he couldn't in previous years. I think the "plays" are the same, just more varied blocking. To me, that makes it more complex. I think they ran more "different" plays in 2014 than 2008, but probably not as many as in 2012. I think what the Offense was able to do, regarding adjustments, last year was unique.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think it's more complex to the point that CPJ was changing blocking schemes on the fly last year. He had a lot of experience on the Offense last year, so I think he was able to do things he couldn't in previous years. I think the "plays" are the same, just more varied blocking. To me, that makes it more complex. I think they ran more "different" plays in 2014 than 2008, but probably not as many as in 2012. I think what the Offense was able to do, regarding adjustments, last year was unique.

Interesting. I remember us switching wr and aback blocking assignments in 09, is that the sort of thing you have in mind?

Do you have a particular game in mind that exemplified the complexity to which you refer?

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the passing game has definitely added a few wrinkles. Against Georgia they ran some designed pump-fakes which I had never seen a CPJ offense do before. Of course, they have a much more capable passer these days.

In general I think the offense looks more fluid than in years past, because of JT's functional speed and smoothness with the ball. The Nesbitt offense was effective, but there was a lot of stop-start pivoting by the QB and general choppiness in the tempo. 2014's Jackets looked more like a Navy offense, all circles and gears moving in unison.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Agree - with a strong Tech defense he can take more risks to even further loosen up opponents defense. The argument on this board has often been - score slowly to keep our defense of field. There has been some truth to that - but I feel it has been mostly the offenses has faced read defenses which hoped to limit ur scoring because they knew they could score on us.
This year they will try full early pressure to get the ball out of Jet's hands.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The second part of my question has not been addressed: is it more difficult to execute (or learn) now than in the beginning? Which begs the question, are going to have to "dumb it down" somewhat this year with the new guys in the skill positions? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
The second part of my question has not been addressed: is it more difficult to execute (or learn) now than in the beginning? Which begs the question, are going to have to "dumb it down" somewhat this year with the new guys in the skill positions? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I think probably a little bit, but I actually think that QB and OL are the more experience-centric positions in this offense. Like yes, A-back requires you to read blocks on the fly, and that's hard, but I think if you HAD to have a young position group, the RB's and WR's are probably the ones easiest to deal with.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think probably a little bit, but I actually think that QB and OL are the more experience-centric positions in this offense. Like yes, A-back requires you to read blocks on the fly, and that's hard, but I think if you HAD to have a young position group, the RB's and WR's are probably the ones easiest to deal with.
Good info, thanks!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
forensicbuzz nailed it. The offense is the offense, but the OL is capable of tweaking its scheme within a series vs after a sideline break....and that adds complexity. I believe I saw this vs UGA within a series...the BB went from off center to off guard and the GCGT combo changed...normally we wouldn't do this until after a possession or 2 or halftime.

It could have been FSU...but we do it a ton with this unit and JT and the OL ability to run it. We also will tweak the AB WR combo on the S/LB....