Offense Question

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I didn't see a stickied thread this year like last one, so feel free to merge this if I missed it. I have been watching the Penn State Army game this morning and had a question. It seems like army relies a lot more on the midline option than we do. Is there a reason Paul Johnson seems to not call midline as often (whether it be personnel, alignment, or anything else)? Also, I noticed Army's splits seem to be much narrower than ours. Is this an offensive philosophy decision or because we would have bigger, more athletic lineman?
Thanks

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I think it's mostly due to JeT's size. When Nesbitt was here, he'd run midline almost the whole 4th quarter if we were ahead.
I thought that might be the case as well regarding the size, but I don't think the army QB is that much bigger.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
We ran more midline last year than we did with Vad or Tevin. It's early this year, so it's likely just a question of the fronts we've faced.

It's probably easier to run midline with Shaq than Shamire too.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for your previous response.
In the CPJ radio show thread, John mentioned:

A lot of interesting snippets in there:
  • CPJ doesn't think the current group can run plays from over brown or over gray formations but thought maybe last year's team could have done it.
I was wondering if you had any insight on why this may be. Is this another issue where we don't have the personnel, or is this formation slightly tougher to grasp for newer players? Thanks!

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
I am wondering why you think this is true if we are leaving the DT unblocked? I would think it de-emphasizes the OG somewhat.
The guard has to be mobile enough to get to the second level if the dt is the man your using as a dive read. Mason is much quicker and more mobile than Devine.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The guard has to be mobile enough to get to the second level if the dt is the man your using as a dive read. Mason is much quicker and more mobile than Devine.
Devine might have trouble just getting out of the way from a DT in front of him...Better to just let him make some pancakes.