Off season "just for the heck of it" thread...

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We are always hearing about the athletes getting bigger, stronger, faster, better coached and trained. Just for the heck of of it, here is the lineup of our last NC team, along with height/weight...

QB S. Jones
RB's Scotton 6'1", 225 and Bell 5'11", 203
WR's Rodriguez 6', 174 and Merchant 6', 183
TE Covington 6'3", 238
OL Chubbs 6'2", 256 Jenkins 6'5", 288 Lavin 6'4",272 Siffri 6'4", 270 Mooney 6'7" 316

DL McClary 6'2", 279 Rudolph 6'4" 260 Battle 6'5" 295 M. Coleman 6'4" 250
LB Tiggle 6'2" 230 J.Williams 6' 231 M. Williams 6' 2",215
Safety T.Balkcom 6'2" 207" K.Swilling 6'3" 230
CB C.Day 5'10 168 W.Clay 5'11 187

Could the '90 team compete with the current lineup of YJ's? Or, could the current YJ's compete with that bunch? The '90 team would benefit from the best overall coaching staff at GT in the modern era (imo). However, are we putting out a much stronger, faster, bigger athlete on the field now such that we can't compare a team from 30 years ago? Would like to hear your thoughts. I think this question is open for debate.

As a bonus question for the truly serious southern college FB fan, what would happen if last year's UGa team went up against their last NC team in '80. Who would win that matchup? I truly have no idea on this one. I do know the '80 Uga team featured one of the all time greats at RB and he would be a big back in today's environment.

In regards to the GT matchup, I think the '90 team would more than hold its own against the current squad. They were extremely physical and exceptionally diverse on O. They would have carved up Ted's D for sure. Your thoughts?

We are always hearing about the athletes getting bigger, stronger, faster, better coached and trained. Just for the heck of of it, here is the lineup of our last NC team, along with height/weight...

QB S. Jones
TE Covington 6'3", 238
OL Chubbs 6'2", 256 Jenkins 6'5", 288 Lavin 6'4",272 Siffri 6'4", 270 Mooney 6'7" 316

Could the '90 team compete with the current lineup of YJ's? Or, could the current YJ's compete with that bunch? The '90 team would benefit from the best overall coaching staff at GT in the modern era (imo). However, are we putting out a much stronger, faster, bigger athlete on the field now such that we can't compare a team from 30 years ago? Would like to hear your thoughts. I think this question is open for debate.

As a bonus question for the truly serious southern college FB fan, what would happen if last year's UGa team went up against their last NC team in '80. Who would win that matchup? I truly have no idea on this one. I do know the '80 Uga team featured one of the all time greats at RB and he would be a big back in today's environment.

In regards to the GT matchup, I think the '90 team would more than hold its own against the current squad. They were extremely physical and exceptionally diverse on O. They would have carved up Ted's D for sure. Your thoughts?
I definitely agree with your final statement ---
"I think the '90 team .... were extremely physical and exceptionally diverse on O. They would have carved up Ted's D for sure.

GTMak

Georgia Tech Fan
I love your post 4shotB and can not wait to read replies from those fonts with much more experience and knowledge than myself.

However, I have to admit that this brings back fond memories and probably the most fun that I have had watching "option" football as a GT football fan. As an added bounce, I would also like to add that the '90 team last game was played against another "option" football team that probably was "somewhat closer" in approach to our more recent version of "option" attack.

QB S. Jones
TE Covington 6'3", 238

Yes this 1990 team might do well, but remember, there was no such thing as a Spread attack back then, Was the Defense built to handle a spread offense, I think not . As for Georgia 1980 against last years team, not even close. The average O lineman was 265. Herchel would have been keyed on the whole game and they threw the ball about like we do now. Blow out win for the 2017 team.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yes this 1990 team might do well, but remember, there was no such thing as a Spread attack back then, Was the Defense built to handle a spread offense, I think not . As for Georgia 1980 against last years team, not even close. The average O lineman was 265. Herchel would have been keyed on the whole game and they threw the ball about like we do now. Blow out win for the 2017 team.

I am thinking along the same lines. In the Tech scenario, I do think it would be a shootout but would give an to the 90 team. They would simply outscore our current team. In the Uga scenario, I was too lazy to look up the lineups and sizes but was thinking that the size/speed difference was to great over 40 years. Also, you are comparing the #1 team vs the #2 team in the country whereas in the first scenario (GT) it's a #1 vs. a team with a losing record.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

Probably right about UGA but it is interesting that the 1980 team only gave up 11.4 ppg while the 2017 team gave up 16.4 ppg. Great defense in 1980 but most folks only remember Herschel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Probably right about UGA but it is interesting that the 1980 team only gave up 11.4 ppg while the 2017 team gave up 16.4 ppg. Great defense in 1980 but most folks only remember Herschel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 1980 UGAG team was way lucky they should have been 8-3 with losses to Tennessee,Clemson and Florida.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think the 1990 defense could've played with the spread offense. There was a lot of speed throughout the defense and were very physical in the front seven. Also, there's not a word of truth in the given weights.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
There were some elite athletes on that 1990 squad: Jones at QB. William Bell (n Sports Illuatrated). Mooney dunking a basketball. Big-play Willie Clay.

Marco Coleman played D line in the league for fourteen years. Coleman Rudolph was a D line All-American. Are we suggesting that these guys dont make the roster today?

Who on the current squad is a better pure athlete than Swilling was?

I’m not sure I agree with the basic premise here.

/

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I’m not sure I agree with the basic premise here.

/

There is no "basic premise" here. The topic is up for debate. I agree that the '90 team was outstanding (hence a MNC). The idea for debate here is whether 30 years really is a significant difference or not in terms of caliber of athlete in light of the ongoing discussion about athletes getting bigger, stronger, faster. That's all.

The 1990 team's last game was against a Nebraska team that ran a very similar rushing attack to ours. The 1990 team shut it down. It'd do the same to the 2017 version too. We didn't throw it well enough in 2017 to beat the 1990 defense.