Off Season How well do you know Georgia Tech Football

Well, now that we enter the dark time of the year I got to thinking today about some Tech past and decided to see how in tune you all on the swarm are. These aren't just Tech stats but also events. Let's see how you all do.

1. Bill Lewis had a hard time at Tech but it didn't start out that way. He had Shawn Jones Jimmy Lincoln etc. But his great start ended and I believe it was the beginning of the end for him. What game was it that turned?
2. Bill Lewis again, what did he do that basically caused him to lose half the team and create his demise?
3. Speaking of Jimmy Lincoln, what was his most famous play and what was the play call?
4. We had a running back gain the most yard in a single game and the record held for almost 10 years. name the player, yards, year and opponent.
5. For years we always played Clemson at Grant field until their fans decided to do something to show how big they were. What did they do and what was the year?
6. John Davis was a center for Bill Curry, what was his nickname and why?
7. The Georgia game in 1971 had a very controversial ending because of something that happened to help Georgia. What was it?
8. Back in the 70's on the Tech sideline, what did Tech have that nobody else used to keep cool?
9. After the win at Georgia in 1984 John Dewberry got a what?
10. After the Virginia win in 1990, who did the team give the game ball to?

Well, now we will see how good you all are.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t know any of these without looking it up. Looking forward to learning some more trivia about tech!
However, questions 1 & 2 seem a little subjective and opinion based. Perhaps it’s obvious but I just wasn’t around back then.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Well, now that we enter the dark time of the year I got to thinking today about some Tech past and decided to see how in tune you all on the swarm are. These aren't just Tech stats but also events. Let's see how you all do.

1. Bill Lewis had a hard time at Tech but it didn't start out that way. He had Shawn Jones Jimmy Lincoln etc. But his great start ended and I believe it was the beginning of the end for him. What game was it that turned?
2. Bill Lewis again, what did he do that basically caused him to lose half the team and create his demise?
3. Speaking of Jimmy Lincoln, what was his most famous play and what was the play call?
4. We had a running back gain the most yard in a single game and the record held for almost 10 years. name the player, yards, year and opponent.
5. For years we always played Clemson at Grant field until their fans decided to do something to show how big they were. What did they do and what was the year?
7. The Georgia game in 1971 had a very controversial ending because of something that happened to help Georgia. What was it?
8. Back in the 70's on the Tech sideline, what did Tech have that nobody else used to keep cool?

1) FSU
2) Quarterback controversy with Donnie Davis and the TV analyst whose name I cannot recall Tom something or another.
3) Don't really know. He ran wild on an option pitch play against UVA. Seems like it was 200 yards plus
4) Brent Cunningham? 1972? Clemson 200 plus again?
5) Spent money with the orange Tiger paw on it. Don't know what year it was. Sometime in the early 1970s
6) Refrigerator Mover for his performance in largely negating Clemson defensive tackle William "the Refrigerator" Perry in the mid 1980s
7) The "Night the Chain Broke"? The chain gang managed to break the link connecting the ten yard markers.
8) Beats me. Portable air conditioners?
9) A piece of the hedge?
10) Scott Sisson?

That's my story and I am sticking to it. No Google was used in answering these questions.

1) FSU
2) Quarterback controversy with Donnie Davis and the TV analyst whose name I cannot recall Tom something or another.
3) Don't really know. He ran wild on an option pitch play against UVA. Seems like it was 200 yards plus
4) Brent Cunningham? 1972? Clemson 200 plus again?
5) Spent money with the orange Tiger paw on it. Don't know what year it was. Sometime in the early 1970s
6) Refrigerator Mover for his performance in largely negating Clemson defensive tackle William "the Refrigerator" Perry in the mid 1980s
7) The "Night the Chain Broke"? The chain gang managed to break the link connecting the ten yard markers.
8) Beats me. Portable air conditioners?
9) A piece of the hedge?
10) Scott Sisson?

That's my story and I am sticking to it. No Google was used in answering these questions.
Your grade....35 partial credit for number 5.

GTRules

Georgia Tech Fan

Those are some great questions!

I know the answer to some of them.

slugboy

Staff member
There are a couple of answers for Dewberry in 1984, but I think he had a picture in the paper with a piece of the hedge in his teeth.
1. FSU was the visible part. There was a controversial onside kick that FSU "recovered". Charlie Ward was FSU's QB that year
2. Visibly, He brought in Lugenbill as a QB and created a controversy (sorry for the spelling), but that was just the most visible part
3. I'm not sure which one you're referring to
4. I thought this was ELI, but that would be when I was a kid. 1977 maybe?
5. Before my time
6. Fridge Mover has already been answered.
7. I'm too young to remember this one.
8. Either fans with sprayers or Budweiser. Going with fans
9. Back to the part with the hedge in the teeth in the paper.
10. I thought they gave it to Ross.

While we're here... (these should be REALLY easy)
1. Where did Ross coach before GT?
2. Why do we sing the Budweiser song?
3. Where else did Carson coach, and outside of Georgia Tech, what was he known for?
4. How many Georgia Tech coaches have coached in a Super Bowl?
5. Which game didn't we win in 1990?
6. Who played linebacker beside Ted Roof?
7. Back when there was a "freshman" team, Tech and UGA played one game a year with the Freshmen for charity. What was the charity?

Last edited:

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

1. FSU - one of the worst losses in my time watching Tech football. Charlie Ward was pulled we were winning so easily and he cam back to run the no huddle and lost when couldn't recover on-side. FSU had made top 5 like 8 years in a row and would have been a big win.
2. Picked a Luginbill with no talent over Donnie Davis with talent
3. IDK
4. Eddie Lee Ivery 357 yards Air Force
5. IDK
6. RefrigeratorMover - had big game against WIlliam Fuller
7. First down chains broke and when fixed UGA was awarded a first down
8. Fans?
9. A hedge piece in mouth?
10. Bobby Ross's father

1. FSU - one of the worst losses in my time watching Tech football. Charlie Ward was pulled we were winning so easily and he cam back to run the no huddle and lost when couldn't recover on-side. FSU had made top 5 like 8 years in a row and would have been a big win.
2. Picked a Luginbill with no talent over Donnie Davis with talent
3. IDK
4. Eddie Lee Ivery 357 yards Air Force
5. IDK
6. RefrigeratorMover - had big game against WIlliam Fuller
7. First down chains broke and when fixed UGA was awarded a first down
8. Fans?
9. A hedge piece in mouth?
10. Bobby Ross's father
Your grade. 50. Correct on on 1,2,4,6,10. To finish your answers. Eddie Lee had 356 vs Air force at Air force 1978. 6, was the Fridge William Perry for Clemson.

There are a couple of answers for Dewberry in 1984, but I think he had a picture in the paper with a piece of the hedge in his teeth.
1. FSU was the visible part. There was a controversial onside kick that FSU "recovered". Charlie Ward was FSU's QB that year
2. Visibly, He brought in Lugenbill as a QB and created a controversy (sorry for the spelling), but that was just the most visible part
5. Before my time

3. Where else did Carson coach, and outside of Georgia Tech, what was he known for?
7. Back when there was a "freshman" team, Tech and UGA played one game a year with the Freshmen for charity. What was the charity?
1. Loaded Question, had a deal with the Buffalo Bills but prior was Maryland and VPI.
2. No real reason the band just started playing it in the 70s at the end of the 3rd quarter.
3. If you mean prior to Tech, well it was Tech as a DC. After he coached with many NFL teams. known for defense. Renso Rock Perdoni.
4. Head Coaches? as a head Coach or assistants. Or Head Coaches as an assistant. Bobby Ross, Chan Gailey.
5. UNC, it was a 13-13 ties
6. Jim Anderson
7. Thanksgiving day Scottish Rite.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
1. Colonial Heights and Benedictine high schools in the Richmond area
5. Tarholes

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
5. Before my time

6. David Curry. Only one I'm sure about

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
5. Before my time

Let me see if I can do better on this one:
1) Maryland and the Citadel
2) No idea
3) He coached during the time of the Pittsburgh Steelers "Steel Curtain" He was best known as defensive coordinator during their Super Bowl years. I don't know if he coached college other than Tech or not.
4) Wild guess. 3 or 4. I am guessing Ralph, Bobby Ross, Bill O'Brien, Bud Carson. Maybe Jerry Glanville? Don't really know.
5) Tied with UNC in a game which was an away game as I recall. Against Virginia Tech Sisson missed a couple of field goals but made one to win the game. Seems like we went up and down the field but could not score. Virginia Tech was tough in the red zone and we missed field goals. Seems like we had another close call with UNC at their place where we struggled to move the ball.
6) Jim _____________? Can't remember his last name but he was a hard hitter.
7) Shriner's Hospital for Children "Strong legs will run that weak legs may walk" Imagine a freshman game always getting 35 to 45 thousand. I went every year.

Last edited: